Aerostich AD1 impressions

1moreroad

• Premium Member

I've put about 150 miles on a set of Aerostich AD1 pants. If anyone is interested, I can continue to update this thread in the future. 

These pants and a Klim Apex jacket replaced a 12 year old Aerostich 1 piece classic suit. I ordered these pants in khaki in September. After the material still wasn't ready in Dec, Aerostich said I could switch to black or wait at least 2 more months. I switched.

These are MN made pants. I think they brought all AD1 production back to the US. 

They are unlined. Let me say that if there was a 2 piece RC3, that is what I would own. That said, I think the Klim vents really well, and this combination is slightly less expensive than an RC3.

The pants are relatively easy on/off. They have full length leg zippers on both legs which should help with venting, too. They flow more air than the lines RC. I think they will get easier on/off once they are broken in. Brand new, they are STIFF. 

They have the usual stich armor - big and thick.  I moved hip pads from my RC over. I might drop some CE pads into the fabric pockets to loosen the waist. 

Which brings me to fit. These are cut unlike any riding pants I've ever worn. At their recommendation, I'm wearing a 36" regular as overpants. For comparison I wear 34x32 Levi's and Aerostich Protekt jeans. These pants seem to fit very precisely.  They should get better as I lose weight. Armor sits in exactly the right place and does not move. The AD1s are less restrictive swinging a leg over the bike than the RC. 

Most textile pants sit 1" to 2" above my belly button. Believe Aerostich when they say they are cut like jeans. They follow the waist line of my Levi's exactly. But jeans have some give. Tugging the waist of these pants gives you a wedgie. Even the front of the waist of my 2 piece leathers sits higher. 

There is still about 3" of overlap between jacket and pants all the way around when seated on the FJ. I'm not sure how they'd fit on a sportier bike. I haven't ridden in rain yet, so I don't know if water will get in. Air definitely flows up my back. There is no material bunching around the waist and crotch. That's nice. 

I really want to like the pants. I think I will once they break in. They were comfortable for 2 hours continuously on the bike. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Give it more time and riding before deciding.  My AD-1 was purchased used so I can’t comment on break in, but can verify that they are waterproof.  I am still deciding if I prefer TF-3 standard hip armor or those designed for Aerostich Transit pants (with sleeves).   The Transit design is much thinner.

• Thumbsup 1

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

So with the lower rise, despite the 3" overlap, do you get a gap right at your coin slot that lets cold air in? 

• Haha 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Believe me when I tell you it will take a year of riding before they break in. Be patient. I use the top from a Roadcrafter Classic 2 piece, not sure exactly what the difference is between the Classic and RC3?  I’m happy with the jacket. Did you consider the Darien instead of the Klim?  Just wondering because I would guess they are close in price. 

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, maximo said:

So with the lower rise, despite the 3" overlap, do you get a gap right at your coin slot that lets cold air in? 

:) No gap. Just a draft.

@donk similar price to Darien. Klim had more venting. RC3 has no liner. Sort of like Darien.

EDITED TO ADD: Just rode another 1.5 hours. No tight spots or pinch points.  Then walked around for 2 hours.  Bulkier than my leathers, but what would you expect?  I think I'm sold.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/4/2019 at 5:54 PM, donk said:

not sure exactly what the difference is between the Classic and RC3?

The main differences are:

* The Classic is lined but the R3 is not. This means the R3 wears a little cooler in hot weather.

* The R3 is only available as a one piece, which is a bummer IMO.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the review @1moreroad
. I have an R3 and an older 2-piece RC Classic. Like you I wish they made a 2-piece R3.

I'm thinking of switching to a Darien jacket, but have agonized over whether the AD-1 or Darien pants would be better. I'll be interested to hear how they work for you on longer rides.

• Premium Member

@keithu I similarly agonized.  To allow for long ride testing without spending a ton of dosh (thanks @wordsmith for that term, I’ve added it to my lingo) I bided my time over at advrider.com waiting for good condition used Darien and AD-1 pants in my size to become available and purchased both for side-by-side comparo.  This after buying, liking & selling a used Darien jacket then buying a new one (break-in on that is ongoing).  

Aerostich are accurate about the waist cuts with both pants.  Both are stout and waterproof.  I kept the AD-1, preferring both the waist cut and overall silhouette which is slightly slimmer.  I like the AD-1 pocket configuration better as well.  

I wear the pants over just merino leggings or tights, not as overpants.  I use hip armor and sized up by one to accommodate.  

• Thanks 1

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Update - I'm using these on all of the essential errands I can run on my motorcycle.  Gore-Tex overpants and jacket provide a fluid-impermeable barrier and the can sit out in the garage for a day or two when I get back to the house.  They have maybe another 2000 miles on them since the bike has been local trips only for the past month. 

They have broken in nicely.  Once on, I don't notice the low waist at all.  With warmer weather, I don't notice the draft.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member

I spent about an hour on the front end of Tropical Storm Delta - steady rain the whole way (not the full blown storm). All my gear worked well except a little damp at the same spot as the draft. There are some weird air patterns behind the big windshield and I suspect water got blown from behind my back. 

The top of the passenger seat has more dirt on it than the swing arm, probably for the same reason.