Hiraodai Karst region

Guest dmizer

Guest dmizer
This is another one of my favorite spots, the Hiraodai karst region. Incredibly good roads and lots of little side roads to explore. No video, and low quality cell phone shots, but better than nothing. I'll be out there again soon no doubt, so I'll take better shots then. For now, enjoy these!

LCQBSYZ.jpg

bbnKSHO.jpg

VKdGd9T.jpg

yIlX3QD.jpg

This is another one of my favorite spots, the Hiraodai karst region. Incredibly good roads and lots of little side roads to explore. No video, and low quality cell phone shots, but better than nothing. I'll be out there again soon no doubt, so I'll take better shots then. For now, enjoy these! 
LCQBSYZ.jpg

I'm curious about all the yellow and red painted cross lines on the road, in the corners.
Is the paint they use there less slippery than what is used in North America?
Paint is generally more slippery than asphalt, seems odd to us it through sharp corners...

Nice pics!

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
I've no idea about Japanese road paint but in the UK they have made a paint that has decent grip - there used to be a section of dual carriageway near me, on the A40 near Monmouth used for testing the durability of road paint. Loads of stripes across the road.

The paint seems to have a shiny grit in it, which may be ground glass which is also used in that extra grippy tarmac you see on corners or the stopping area before a pedestrian crossing, in the UK at least.

It is something of a culture shock if you cross the Channel into France and have a wet day as you have to recalibrate as their road paint seems to be white gloss and is slippy as fúck.

That terrain in Japan looks very enticing. Fortunately, I have very similar terrain only an hour away in Wales. The rock structure seems quite similar to the English Lake District.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest dmizer
I'm curious about all the yellow and red painted cross lines on the road, in the corners. Is the paint they use there less slippery than what is used in North America?
Paint is generally more slippery than asphalt, seems odd to us it through sharp corners...

Nice pics!

The paint is infused with course material that increases traction. Of course, over time the material wears out and it needs to be replaced, and this is where the real problem comes in. The paint stripes have been painted and painted over again, so they're raised like small speed bumps which unsettle the bike. So, while the road looks awesome and really fun, you have to take it extra slow.

Guest dmizer
Nice pics! Looks like I have a couple of new ones to use as wallpaper on my computer. :)
Thanks, but my apologies for the low resolution.

Archived