Tracer 900 GT Clutch Adjustment

SC3896

What BBB said. I also have the ASV levers, top quality. Make sure you order the Tracer GT clutch lever as the FZ09, MT09, FJ09 (bikes without cruse control) lever will not work because of the cruse control switch.

• Thumbsup 1

On 12/8/2019 at 7:44 PM, showmerider said:

I didn't  have any trouble  getting  the  cable out, but I can't seem  to get the cable adjusted to my liking.  I want the bike to start moving  when I start releasing  the clutch handle, but everytime I get it adjusted to my liking,  the clutch lever is super loose and when I adjust the knob by the lever, it puts me right back where I was, which is roughly  about half way out on the clutch lever before  the bike starts moving. Any ideas??

Sorry man, this particular clutch doesn’t have an adjustment for the actual release - only cable slack. As Betoney and others have mentioned your best bet is to find levers that have an adjustable “reach”. That’s the best compromise. 
(I just wanted to echo their advice and that of your dealer: there’s unfortunately no way to get exactly what your looking for - to have the clutch engage close to the grip (at the beginning of the travel) and maintain appropriate free play so that it will disengage properly. )

-Skip

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, showmerider said:

I just placed an order for the Evotech performance  adjustable clutch  and brake levers, hope they work out for me🙃

They have 6 positions of adjustment, they should work for most hand sizes, I use the Pazzo levers, (standard clutch and shorty brake). 

I love being able to adjust on-the-fly and set them up to suit your riding style.  I may be weird but I set my clutch to position 1 for least lever movement and the brake on position 4 so it actuates further from the bar.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, showmerider said:

After I get them installed and we get a warm enough day, I'll let you know if they fixed my problem  and whether  or not I like them.

What issues are you having? clutch pull? or lever comfort?

I guess  you would  call it clutch  pull. I don't  like the factory setting.  I have to let the clutch  half way out before  the bike starts moving.  I want it to start "grabbing " as soon as I start to release  the lever

Take a look at adjusting the free play. It's simple and painless and should solve that issue. Can't recall if Yamaha puts it in the owner's manual but there are plenty of vids on youtube if you haven't done it before. 

Edited by chitown
typos

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, chitown said:

Take a look at adjusting the free play. It's simple and painless and should solve that issue. Can't recall if Yamaha puts it in the owner's manual but there are plenty of vids on youtube if you haven't done it before. 

I think he is referring to the grab point or the part of the lever travel where the clutch actually engages/dis-engages. - Moving the friction zone.

Edited by betoney

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2019 at 9:32 PM, betoney said:

The Ebay description might not list the '19 Tracer but a lot of Yamaha levers are cross-compatible.  I was checking out the Pazzo fitment guide and the same lever fits the FZ09/MT09, FJ09/Tracer, XSR700/900, FZ-07/MT-07, FZ10/MT10, FZ1 Fazer, FZ8, FZ6, Niken and certain year R6 and R1.

Careful.  Adjustable levers need to take into account the GTs cruise control.  There have been other listings on this site where the MT/FJ09 levers have not worked.

I know when I apply the front brake on my GT I hear two distinct clicks - I think there may be two micro switches in there.

Edited by vincep

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, vincep said:

I know when I apply the front brake on my GT I hear two distinct clicks - I think there may be two micro switches in there.

I have never heard of 2 switches on the front brake, look under the brake perch, you will see the switch screwed to the perch, it has 2 electrical contacts.