The Eagle Has Landed

So my FJ09 is gone and I got this thing sitting out in the driveway. 35 degrees out and I took a 10 mile ride and froze my fingers. It sounds beastly and it's fast but the new tires are slipping all over the place. Damn it's gonna be a long winter.

IMG_20191207_143533.jpg

Yamaha is making some amazing motorcycles. These are mine from the last 2 years. Got to put a few more miles on the new one and it's a natural evolution from the triples. I'd describe it as point and shoot.

XSR900.jpg

IMG_20181103 .jpg

MT 10.jpg

Good luck with the new bike. If I may I recommend the Yamaha OEM accessory windshield. Looks good works great not a lot of money. The MT10 has sport tires, they’re not great in less than ideal conditions. Got to remember your not riding an -09 anymore😊

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, donk said:

The MT10 has sport tires, they’re not great in less than ideal conditions. Got to remember your not riding an -09 anymore😊

What does this statement mean?  Doesn't it come with Battlax S20's?  I have used many sets of S21's and haven't found conditions where they DON'T excel, except long term mileage.  I have used them below freezing, torrential downpours, sport riding and multi-thousand mile road trips.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

What does this statement mean?  Doesn't it come with Battlax S20's?  I have used many sets of S21's and haven't found conditions where they DON'T excel, except long term mileage.  I have used them below freezing, torrential downpours, sport riding and multi-thousand mile road trips.

I was wondering the same thing. Those tires have an excellent reputation.

Don’t know if the OEM tires are a different spec or what but my MT10 would slide the front wheel much easier than my other bikes when road conditions got a little slippery.  My Pirelli tires on my Multistrada and the PR4 on my FJR are glued to the road in comparison. But what do I know........

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, donk said:

Don’t know if the OEM tires are a different spec or what but my MT10 would slide the front wheel much easier than my other bikes when road conditions got a little slippery.  My Pirelli tires on my Multistrada and the PR4 on my FJR are glued to the road in comparison. But what do I know........

Don't know if they're a different spec either but it's a good point -- Japanese bike oem tires even of the same make and model have been found in the past to sometimes have different compounds than what is sold aftermarket in the US.

About ten years ago remember owners of new Yamahas complaining about some Michelin tire I loved. Folks posted the detailed sidewall codes and the oem tires had numbering nobody had seen stateside aftermarket. Some suggested they were different compounds sold in the Japanese/Asian market. Others suggested the oems can spec their own tires from the manufacturers and may have been cost-cutting or going for longer life etc. Never found an authoritative answer but both seem plausible.

So last weekend was so cold that I could only take a short ride of around 15 miles on the new bike. Today I got out and burned through a tank of gas and got the tires scrubbed in. As you'd expect, this is more bike than the triple line up but it also carries the price tag to go with it. That being said, I took the 10 out for about 2 hours and it's stunning how good it is. That motor....0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds is accurate. It went from 80 to 125 in a blink and I was riding in the second mode, not the hyper mode as we've had snow here and there's already sand on the roads and new tires. No wobble at 125 mph like the 09. It's a breath taking motorcycle. One other observation, the mirrors don't get blurry on the MT10.

The only negatives, gas mileage sucks and the suspension is not as good as my 2017 FJ09 was with K-Tech on both ends. The 10 carves better than the 09 but rides a lot rougher and way less confidence inspiring then the 09. I had complete confidence in the 09 handling as it ate up rough roads. When you came off a highway onto an exit ramp that was torn up, you didn't worry about where the bike was going to go. It went exactly where you put it. I'm probably just an average rider but great suspension is worth it, it makes you a better rider. I spent this morning adding heated grips, mirror extenders and a Puig windscreen but won't touch the stock suspension set up as i'll install a K-Tech rear shock and and have my suspension guy do springs in the front and set it up. I may do cartridges in the front but I'm going to see how it is with the correct springs for my weight and the shock before I decide. I can't wait to ride this thing with the suspension done. 
If you have an FZ09, XSR900 or fj09 / Tracer and love riding it but haven't done the suspension, do it. The difference isn't even subtle. Use your Christmas club money, skip a mortgage payment,  dip into the kids college fun, you won't regret it. I've spent a substantial amount of time on all 3 triples and now on the 10 and they are all exciting and fun.

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, chesterburnet said:

If you have an FZ09, XSR900 or fj09 / Tracer and love riding it but haven't done the suspension, do it. The difference isn't even subtle. Use your Christmas club money, skip a mortgage payment,  dip into the kids college fun, you won't regret it.

I couldn't agree more, suspension is the #1 "performance" upgrade you can do to any bike.

My buddy also has an FJ and I kept telling him to get the suspension upgraded but he would always brush it off as a frivolous expense.  Then when we were on a road trip and swapped bikes for about an hour, I almost couldn't get him to give my bike back- he was absolutely amazed.  The day after we returned from the trip he ordered new suspension. 👍

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

34 minutes ago, betoney said:

I couldn't agree more, suspension is the #1 "performance" upgrade you can do to any bike.

My buddy also has an FJ and I kept telling him to get the suspension upgraded but he would always brush it off as a frivolous expense.  Then when we were on a road trip and swapped bikes for about an hour, I almost couldn't get him to give my bike back- he was absolutely amazed.  The day after we returned from the trip he ordered new suspension. 👍

I would venture to say that an average rider with a great suspension has a good chance of being faster than a great rider on a poorly suspended bike. I'm always amazed when I see new owners drop $1500 + on an exhaust and a flash, cruise control, and other cosmetic stuff ahead of suspension. Especially on these bikes as I can absolutely say that they come with mediocre suspension but are  outstanding when changed.