Valve clearance opinions

usnscpo

So, I just got finished checking the valve clearances.  Intake all good.  Exhaust (amazingly all) measured a snug .25mm, so it may be closer to .24mm.  24,216 miles on the bike bought in November from a dealer.  Seeing as how this is so close to the .26mm spec, can I safely wait a couple more thousand miles before I actually pull the cam to reshim?

Thanks all!

Chris

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, usnscpo said:

So, I just got finished checking the valve clearances.  Intake all good.  Exhaust (amazingly all) measured a snug .25mm, so it may be closer to .24mm.  24,216 miles on the bike bought in November from a dealer.  Seeing as how this is so close to the .26mm spec, can I safely wait a couple more thousand miles before I actually pull the cam to reshim?

Thanks all!

Chris

It is out of spec, as a mechanic I would pull the cam and set it up correctly. Then not have to worry if you are going to burn expensive valves  in the near future.

There's no "a little bit pregnant" :) You're either in or out of the range of spec. If it's out I wouldn't close it back up until adjusted. 

The only place I'll use any judgement is for an engine very nearly out of (but still in) spec. May decide to skip adjustment based on factors such as trend from previous check, mileage, experience of others, etc. 

Edited by chitown
typo
  • Thumbsup 1

Pulled the exhaust cam, buckets and shims then calculated desired new shims.  Went to the dealer I bought the bike from for shims and they offered to just swap the old shims for new shims. 👍  They also checked all my measurements to make sure I got the correct shims.

• Like 5

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, usnscpo said:

Pulled the exhaust cam, buckets and shims then calculated desired new shims.  Went to the dealer I bought the bike from for shims and they offered to just swap the old shims for new shims. 👍  They also checked all my measurements to make sure I got the correct shims.

That is great customer service!  Keep supporting that dealer. 👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Indeed!  Waiting on a new CCT gasket so I can double check new shims and button this up.  Fingers crossed for tomorrow.  5 inches of snow on the ground last night, and its just started snowing again. 3+ inches expected.  Gonna have a proper White Christmas here this year. :)

Should also be getting my forks back from Daugherty Motorsports.  Not a vendor, but with Matt busy elsewhere, and DM close by, I chose to use my local guy.

• Thumbsup 2