Rain x

Dodgy Knees

• Supporting Member

I have been using Rain-x for years on windscreens and visors, with good results. My only complaint is that bug splats tend to spread out more than they would on an untreated surface.  

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member

Just thought I would add a cautionary tale from my experience.  There are several products in the Rain-X range and quite some time ago I used the glass Rain-X - it may have been the only product they had at the time? - to a Perspex/plastic (not sure exactly what it was made of) electronic rain gauge dome sensor and while it made the water bead, over time it turned the dome to a milky haze rendering it useless.

Guess which one I used the product on:-

Rain-X.thumb.jpg.b73d6edbb9aba6e50cbd56fe890a08ec.jpg

This from their website: -

Avoid using Rain‑X® Original Glass Water Repellent on any plastic surfaces, including motorcycle windshields, ATVs and solar panels

For plastic surface applications, try our new Rain‑X® Plastic Water Repellent!

I know @Dodgy Knees is showing the Plastic version in the post but the bottles are/were similar and if you're not careful.......

Anyway FWIW and of course YMMV.

• Thumbsup 3

+1 on Pledge or store brand furniture polish like from Wally. Helps with water and bugs and anything that will stick. Kept a can in the plane for wiping down canopy, prop, and leading edges. Many carry the wipes or a can on bikes for shields and screens and plastics cleaning but you can clean anything you don't mind being slippery on a bike with it and save some money over more specialized products. Makes a great tire changing lube too :)

• Thumbsup 2

I used to use this way back in the day, until it started turning my plexis into a milky yellowish hue. I haven't used it for years, so I can't comment on the current variants. I've just come to accept beading on my visor as a normal part of rain riding. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

I regularly apply Plexus to my screen and it is great. Water beads and runs off, bug kills don't embed and it is crystal clear year after year.  One can lasts a looong time

Supposedly it's used by the military of fighter jet canopies.

It ain't cheap but..... you get what you pay for.

cb

• Thanks 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, nhchris said:

It ain't cheap but..... you get what you pay for.

I was shocked when I saw it on the shelf at Cycle Gear for $25 a can a few months ago but your link to Amazon @ $31 a can is just crazy. 😲

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I hear ya.

I don't recall paying that much for it last time I bought a can, but that was probably 2 years ago.  I got my last can at  a marine supply place (West Marine ) for about $20 I think.

I use it every time I wash the bike and can get 2 years out of a can... and I've got a BIG windshield.

Chain wax is a lot less expensive and comes in a very similar can.  It does not work well at all on a windscreen.  😀

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I've also heard good reports on the Plexus for your visor/screen. Am yet to get a can for myself but here is Australia it's around $35-$40. 

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Plexus works great as does Pledge and I bet if you look they have similar ingredients. Tho one thing I’m sure about is when it comes to visors and windshields less is more.  A tiny bit goes a long way.