Test riding a Tracer in the Alps and Dolomites; Would I buy one?

mingo

I was scraping pegs and the toe sliders on my boots but never the center stand.  After making some suspension adjustments, including sag measurements I scrape the pegs far less often.

My only gripe with the bike is the clearance between the rider and passenger foot pegs which makes it difficult to get up on your toes for spirited cornering.  One of the forum members here swapped out his GT passenger pegs for the FJ-09 pegs and gained a bit over one inch of room for his heels.  Might have to try this myself.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

6 hours ago, bugie said:

Did you end up dragging the centre stand, or, did you remove that too? I ride right to the edge of the tyre and would be scared to remove the feelers as it gives me warning that i am about to scrape the centre stand (which is obviously a concern). Without the feelers I would be fearing over running the edge of the tyre, or, having the centre stand dig in the ground and lift the rear wheel off the ground

Having a warning gauge is a good policy. With stock suspension I was pretty careful. My rear suspension was definitely not up to the task and I could touch pegs and centre stand down too easily. 

But suspension has been upgraded, forks  raised in the triples, rear ride height adjusted on the new rear shock. Actually gave away some ground clearance but don't need it. Still have the centre stand. The pegs touch down when I'm at the edges of the tire and just before centre stand. Installed one of those aluminum side stand enlarger pads and it now touches down first on the left. 

Edited by chitown

2 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

I was scraping pegs and the toe sliders on my boots but never the center stand.  After making some suspension adjustments, including sag measurements I scrape the pegs far less often.

My only gripe with the bike is the clearance between the rider and passenger foot pegs which makes it difficult to get up on your toes for spirited cornering.  One of the forum members here swapped out his GT passenger pegs for the FJ-09 pegs and gained a bit over one inch of room for his heels.  Might have to try this myself.

The passenger foot rests and brackets were one of the first things to come off my FJ-09.  

• Thumbsup 1

22 hours ago, chitown said:

The passenger foot rests and brackets were one of the first things to come off my FJ-09.  

On the Tracer GT, if you remove the passenger pegs you are also removing the lower mounting points for the bags.  I wish they had designed it so that they were separate from each other.  Trading them for the FJ-09 rear peg mounts makes a bit of extra clearance for the riders heels when getting up on the toes.

I thing the goal with the GT pegs was to add a little leg room for the pillion, which meant they were designed to be a bit lower.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member
On 12/11/2019 at 9:31 AM, chitown said:

Mine too.  Take them off and no more hitting the passenger pegs with your heel. Love mine.

On 12/11/2019 at 4:14 AM, johnmark101 said:

One of the forum members here swapped out his GT passenger pegs for the FJ-09 pegs and gained a bit over one inch of room for his heels.

Yep, details with some measurements: https://www.tracer900.net/topic/5954-tracer-900-gt-foot-pegs/

Actually, I still don't have rear foot pegs, just the FJ-09 sidecase stays so I can use the sidecases. It's worked great for me. I think if I added the FJ-09 passenger foot pegs themselves I would again feel a little cramped in the heels (but better than stock of course).