Pannier options in the UK market

There is an article in a US magazine (Motorcylist) this month comparing the Versy 1000, SV1000 and the FJ 09, where in the write up of the FJ 09 they were highly critical of the Yamaha accessory bags (panniers) in particular the locking mechanism. I think they are different than what is available in the UK. I believe they are hard bags and run just under $1,000 US. I didn't buy a set at the time of purchase, since I have several sets of soft bags in the garage and wanted to see the fitment before I considered others. Givi makes great stuff and the aluminum top load types are generally pretty durable

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As we all know, the hard bags/panniers are essentially fjr1300 cases. I have them on my bike, contrary to what Yamaha want me to have in the UK. They are well made, sturdy and don't budge at all on the bike. They lock in multiple sections and therefore cannot be prised open by a tealeaf. Maybe they are a little complicated for the journos  :D

I like like the aluminium boxes on 'proper' adventure bikes (I had them on my S10), but I personally think that they look out of place and clunky on the Tracer.

• Premium Member
I agree, the SW Motech bags look exactly the same except for branding. However I have paid the dealer and basically get the racks for free so I'll wait for that...

• Premium Member
I agree, the SW Motech bags look exactly the same except for branding. However I have paid the dealer and basically get the racks for free so I'll wait for that...
still no sign of the bloody things in the UK though, free rails or no free rails. I'm getting a bit fed up and keep looking at Givi Trekkers, H&B Xtremes & Shad cases. Fortunately my dealer refused to accept payment as he could not give a delivery date and he knows I'm off to France in what is only a few weeks away. Are you coming @johan ?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I am still waiting on the racks and the heated grips, it's more than a little frustrating. I was hoping to get it all fitted when I had the first service done, but that has been and gone now.

I was told that everything is supposed to be coming in this week. There are dealers on eBay selling all the stuff, so it can't be that hard to get. Assuming that they have stock anyway..

• Premium Member
still no sign of the bloody things in the UK though, free rails or no free rails. I'm getting a bit fed up and keep looking at Givi Trekkers, H&B Xtremes & Shad cases. Fortunately my dealer refused to accept payment as he could not give a delivery date and he knows I'm off to France in what is only a few weeks away. Are you coming @johan ?
I'll confirm in the next week Wessie. 

• Premium Member
There has been lots of toing & froing between makers' and vendors' websites. Often converting €uro to £UKP as in the EU buying stuff from Italy is as easy as buying it from a UK vendor. It can often arrive sooner too, as they use UPS rather than the budget couriers we have in the UK.

I have finally given up on Yamaha and pressed the button on buying some luggage.

And the winner is 

https://youtu.be/itAOGRiYRLI 

Kappa K40 and TK756 inner bags for the bargain price of £199.18 from Outlet Ricambi, an Italian firm with a shop on the UK version of Ebay. They have separate listings for different countries with your carriage rates. £42 of that £199 is carriage. Compared to UK vendor prices, this is a saving of £160 as the cases are £299 a pair and £60 for the two inner bags. Kappa is not a well known brand in the US I believe, but it is a sister brand to Givi and the quality is comparable. Fitting kits are identical with Monokey or Monolock. The K40 are Monokey, the 3 point mounting system. Kappa cases are often made using the same basic moulds as Givi but have simpler finishes compared to Givi, hence the price differential. 

UK Ebay link for the K40 cases 
USA Ebay link for K40 cases  $162.50 plus carriage

Outlet Ricambi Ebay shop UK 
Outlet Ricambi Ebay Shop USA

The fitting kit for these is a standard Givi PLR2122 which is cheaper from our favourite Italian vendor, Accessorimoto for €152.40 (euro) or about £112. Just hope I have better luck with stock than those who ordered last month.

So the total cost of this 4 piece luggage set, inc 2x 40 litre hard cases, 2x inner bags and the side rails using the tried and tested Monokey system is under £315, 432 euro or $470.

As I have a a Givi monokey topbox plate I can use these cases as a 3 piece set with my existing Givi E46 box. More likely, when touring, I will only use the Kappa K40 side cases and leave the Givi box at home as I don't need the space and Yamaha recommend not using a 3 box set. What I will be able to do when staying at a base hotel for a few days is stick one of the boxes in my hotel room and use the other as a topbox for a day touring in the local area. So, with Givi/Kappa Monokey fittings in all 3 positions I will have great flexibility.

I would have liked a Givi Trekker kit but the 33 litre boxes are quite small and the 46 litre ones are enormous as the double skin design makes the outer dimensions huge. They are over £500 for the set which is more than I wanted to spend. 

I also like the Hepco & Bekker Xtreme range but those worked out at over £600 for a set. Too rich for me but adieefc is going that way I believe. 

I will, of course, post pictures and a review once the stuff arrives and is fitted.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
There has been lots of toing & froing between makers' and vendors' websites. Often converting €uro to £UKP as in the EU buying stuff from Italy is as easy as buying it from a UK vendor. It can often arrive sooner too, as they use UPS rather than the budget couriers we have in the UK. 
I have finally given up on Yamaha and pressed the button on buying some luggage.

And the winner is 

Kappa K40 and TK756 inner bags for the bargain price of £199.18 from Outlet Ricambi, an Italian firm with a shop on the UK version of Ebay. They have separate listings for different countries with your carriage rates. £42 of that £199 is carriage. Compared to UK vendor prices, this is a saving of £160 as the cases are £299 a pair and £60 for the two inner bags. Kappa is not a well known brand in the US I believe, but it is a sister brand to Givi and the quality is comparable. Fitting kits are identical with Monokey or Monolock. The K40 are Monokey, the 3 point mounting system. Kappa cases are often made using the same basic moulds as Givi but have simpler finishes compared to Givi, hence the price differential. 

The fitting kit for these is a standard Givi PLR2122 which is cheaper from our favourite Italian vendor, Accessorimoto for €152.40 (euro) or about £112. Just hope I have better luck with stock than those who ordered last month.

So the total cost of this 4 piece luggage set, inc 2x 40 litre hard cases, 2x inner bags and the side rails using the tried and tested Monokey system is under £315, 432 euro or $470.

As I have a a Givi monokey topbox plate I can use these cases as a 3 piece set with my existing Givi E46 box. More likely, when touring, I will only use the Kappa K40 side cases and leave the Givi box at home as I don't need the space and Yamaha recommend not using a 3 box set. What I will be able to do when staying at a base hotel for a few days is stick one of the boxes in my hotel room and use the other as a topbox for a day touring in the local area. So, with Givi/Kappa Monokey fittings in all 3 positions I will have great flexibility.

I would have liked a Givi Trekker kit but the 33 litre boxes are quite small and the 46 litre ones are enormous as the double skin design makes the outer dimensions huge. They are over £500 for the set which is more than I wanted to spend. 

I also like the Hepco & Bekker Xtreme range but those worked out at over £600 for a set. Too rich for me but adieefc is going that way I believe. 

I will, of course, post pictures and a review once the stuff arrives and is fitted.
Well done. You've clearly thought this through and I like the flexibility that the different combinations allow you. Having already paid for my Yamaha kit I am going to wait. For touring I'll use the Yamaha panniers with a Kriega tail bag - so I can use the panniers in the hotel room and still have a bag for day trips. Not as secure as your cases though. I agree, the Hepco & Becker range look real nice but expensive. 

And the winner is 

Well done. You've clearly thought this through and I like the flexibility that the different combinations allow you. Having already paid for my Yamaha kit I am going to wait. For touring I'll use the Yamaha panniers with a Kriega tail bag - so I can use the panniers in the hotel room and still have a bag for day trips. Not as secure as your cases though. I agree, the Hepco & Becker range look real nice but expensive. 

The yamaha cases and rails have made an appearance in Wirral UK so they can't be far away from Wigan now lol

• Premium Member
and both Italian vendors have confirmed the fitting kit and panniers are in the hands of the couriers.

Hopefully this now means an end to the supply shortages from Givi...

• Premium Member
I have the Kappa cases now. Look very nice and fit on the Monokey topbox rack.

The fitting kit is going to be delivered to my office tomorrow by UPS. Shame I won't be in the office tomorrow!

Pictures to follow once assembled...

Well I ordered mine from Italy 3 weeks ago-and apparently they are In the UK and being delivered tomorrow!!
Got mine, delivered last night.
look robust but weld quality not great, one frame has weld sticking out and about 1/2 mm out on lining up!
me thinks they have been rushing them through! 

yesterday I ordered the 30L H&B Xplorer silver panniers, rails and inner bags from Germany.

all I'll then need is my husband to fit them. Bet that will take longer than the delivery from Germany.

its booked in for its first service on Tuesday and I'm hoping the top box rack will have arrived.

Ive sent the trail generic baglux cover back and they're sending me the road version. This will prolly end up on one of the other bikes as Ive also ordered a normal tank cover. what happened to Baglux UK...they seem to have vanished. Intobikes seem to be working from the same address and are "making" the cover.

I am *so* fed up of riding with a rucksack. roll on some proper luggage...of some form...puuurleeeaaasssse....

Archived