Prorider motorcycle training

• Premium Member

I took this one-day course

31da5e9874904b72a0ee8e02e2b37057

ProRider® advanced motorcycle...

in Dallas last weekend.  It was taught by motor officers whose riding cred is beyond question.  

Students rode our own bikes.  The focus is low speed control, and the technique is what is used in motorcycle rodeo competitions.  I’m sure there is crossover into moto gymkhana.

It’s a different way to ride.  Rather than using throttle to adjust speed, the technique involves maintaining a low RPM throttle position  (“set it and forget it”) and using the clutch to go faster or slower.  It’s all about staying in the friction zone, body position, rear brake feathering, and looking through the turn.

I have a long way to go to achieve muscle memory and confidence in the method  but I clearly see that this is powerful stuff.  Part of the challenge is unlearning bad habits.  I don’t know if Prorider is national but similar courses exist I suspect.

Another benefit was learning about local groups who meet for skills training sessions.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Premium Member

What is the advantage of developing good low-speed control?

I am impressed with the motorcycle cops in the parade who can coordinate complex group formations at low speed, but I don't ride in groups like that. The only low-speed maneuvers  that I need to do are creeping along in heavy traffic at 3 mph. That requires feathering the clutch. However, I have the full width of the lane so precise positioning is not necessary. I can weave a little and it doesn't matter.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

29 minutes ago, estell said:

Filtering through traffic, parking in busy lots, approaching junctions and flowing into traffic instead of stopping, plus the sheer satisfaction of fine control of a moving heavy object. 

At a wider level, it teaches balance which makes a more general impact on your riding skills.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 2 weeks later...

I understand your thoughts about slow speed practice and skills, but in MHO, might not compare to spending some time ridding off-road. Having raced MX for 6 years and ridding off-road for over 35 years before purchasing a bike that had a license plate, I believe there is a opportunity and gain some skills ridding off-road you might never learn just ridding street. I know several ridders that had 30+ years of on-road experience  only  that spend a couple off weekends ridding off-road on a dirt bike and afterwards, each of them felt the little off-road time build some skills that might help them  in a emergency situation where hard breaking while turning or having to take the bike off the pavement to avoid a accident. Just my thoughts, 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

1 hour ago, foxtrot722 said:

I understand your thoughts about slow speed practice and skills, but in MHO, might not compare to spending some time ridding off-road. Having raced MX for 6 years and ridding off-road for over 35 years before purchasing a bike that had a license plate, I believe there is a opportunity and gain some skills ridding off-road you might never learn just ridding street. I know several ridders that had 30+ years of on-road experience  only  that spend a couple off weekends ridding off-road on a dirt bike and afterwards, each of them felt the little off-road time build some skills that might help them  in a emergency situation where hard breaking while turning or having to take the bike off the pavement to avoid a accident. Just my thoughts, 

I agree. I gained some new skills on road but off road riding until I was 40 taught me most of the ways a motorcycle can react and how to control it.

This is not a picture of my bike but I had one just like it and lots of others. I'm pretty old.

79 Maico 400 .png

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, chesterburnet said:

I agree. I gained some new skills on road but off road riding until I was 40 taught me most of the ways a motorcycle can react and how to control it.

This is not a picture of my bike but I had one just like it and lots of others. I'm pretty old.

79 Maico 400 .png

Early 70's 400? I raced against a few of these, that bike had really good bottom end. 

Edited by foxtrot722

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, foxtrot722 said:

100% @foxtrot722.  I’ve never been in the dirt and am sure it would improve my understanding of bike reactions and my all-around game.  That training is less available, much more expensive with bike rental, and logistically more challenging though.   I hope to make it happen.  

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Premium Member

The comments about off-road experience are spot on, with a caveat. I used to teach motorcycle rider training for MSF, CMSP, and Team Oregon. Often I trained riders with extensive off-road experience, and although they usually had excellent bike control they almost universally shared one problem: they all tended to look at the ground about 10-20 feet ahead of their front wheel.

I suppose this habit develops when your primary need is to scan upcoming terrain. But it's sub-optimal on the street.

I'm not criticizing dirt experience, I 100% agree that it's beneficial. I just think long time off roaders should be aware of this habit and work on it.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 12/12/2019 at 10:25 AM, estell said:

I would argue that precision control over throttle, clutch, brakes and body position will make you an overall better rider and not just at parking lot speeds.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***