Shopping for an FJ09/Tracer GT

draco_1967

Hey all,

I currently own an 07 FJR that has been very good to me, but I fell in love with another bike. When the Tracer GT first came out, I test rode one at a local demo day, and I loved the feel of the bike. I wasn't ready then to make switch, but I am now. To make sure I really loved the Tracer, I rented one for a day. 8 hours and 430 miles later, I was smitten! 

I'm now shopping around to see if I can find a good deal on one. I'm still not sure if I want to save a couple grand and get a 2016-17, or the GT. I will add cruise if I don't get the GT. I don't love the factory bags, so that isn't a factor. But I am unsure how different a '17 and a '19 would feel. 

Anyway, I just wanted to say "hi." I love having a community resource for the bikes I ride. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

But I am unsure how different a '17 and a '19 would feel.

I dont think a '16-'17 will "feel" any different from the '19 but there are several different features.

Difference between the '16 and '17 FJ - the '16 is offered in Black or kind of a silver/white with blurple wheels, '17 was blue or white.  The '17 came with an assist/slipper clutch and a data port to scan and clear error codes, on the '15 and '16 you could access the codes through the screen menu.

The earlier FJ's can be upgraded with the '17 and newer clutch, oem heated grips and quick shifter thats offered on the GT.  Cruise control can be added from MCCruise.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I dont think a '16-'17 will "feel" any different from the '19 but there are several different features.

Difference between the '16 and '17 FJ - the '16 is offered in Black or kind of a silver/white with blurple wheels, '17 was blue or white.  The '17 came with an assist/slipper clutch and a data port to scan and clear error codes, on the '15 and '16 you could access the codes through the screen menu.

The earlier FJ's can be upgraded with the '17 and newer clutch, oem heated grips and quick shifter thats offered on the GT.  Cruise control can be added from MCCruise.

Good to know, thanks! I have been looking more at the '17 because I like the blue color. I have an MCCruise on the FJR, and it's been fantastic. I like that the FJ09 version is a much simpler install than the FJR (no vacuum system or servos to worry about).

• Thumbsup 1

Of course, it's not my dosh, but if you can find the extra money the GT is the only way to go.   

You would almost certainly recoup much if not all of the extra cost when time comes to sell or trade.   It already has cruise-control, which is excellent (as indeed I hear the McCruise is, but no work involved).   Other features include slipper clutch, clutch-less upward shifts, longer swing-arm for added directional stability, far better and more useful TFT colour display screen, all-round adjustable suspensions, even the seat is more comfortable and more stylish and better-looking, as is the windscreen with its one-hand tool-less adjustability.

Do think hard about your choice - you're likely to be living with it for some time!

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Hey guys,

Iv'e got a line on a new 2019 Tracer 900 GT with 0 miles here in NH at a Yamaha dealer. Asking price is $12,999 USD.

What do you think of that price?  Is it a "deal" or not.  (It is snowy wet and cold here in New England for buying a bike.)

Also -- is 900 GT top-end limited to 110 mph like my FJ?  (Just curious if ECU is the same.)

cb

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

@nhchris - Have you ever considered buying online and having a bike shipped?  I have purchased 2 bikes online and the transaction went flawlessly.  Each time I paid about $500 for shipping and the dealership arranged everything, all I had to do was pick the bike up. 

I recently saw a few dealers offering new 2019 GT's for under $11K on Cycle Trader.  Paying $2k under MSRP and then paying for shipping is not a bad deal. 

Cycle Trader also has a feature where you can put out a request for what you are looking for and dealers will contact you with offers.

5c6ec8f57b22cb20b623cee5.jpg

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 Gt For Sale in Orlando, FL on Cycle Trader.

• Supporting Member
On 12/13/2019 at 6:05 PM, draco_1967 said:

I'm still not sure if I want to save a couple grand and get a 2016-17, or the GT... I am unsure how different a '17 and a '19 would feel.

Consider also that the GT has a longer swingarm. Somehow that doesn't get mentioned in comparisons with the earlier model years. There may be a subtle difference in how the bike tracks, or holds the line... but enough of a difference to be important to you. The swingarm and the display are the two items that you would not be able to easily, or inexpensively upgrade on earlier bikes. YMMV.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

1 hour ago, piotrek said:

Consider also that the GT has a longer swingarm. Somehow that doesn't get mentioned in comparisons with the earlier model years. There may be a subtle difference in how the bike tracks, or holds the line... but enough of a difference to be important to you. The swingarm and the display are the two items that you would not be able to easily, or inexpensively upgrade on earlier bikes. YMMV.

That's a really good point about the swingarm length. The TFT is nice, but not essential. But I really liked the way the GT handles. Just the right amount of hooligan and sport tourer. 

I test rode a new GT bike at a local dealer before I bought my two yeat old model in July. My friend and riding buddy had gone for a new GT model a few weeks before, haven riden both models back to back I think that the differences in handling is minimal and for 95% of my riding not noticeable. Where the longer swing arm may be more relevent might be if you intend to ride with a pillion passenger. If I was making the decision to change my bike again I would probably go along the same route . My Two year old  6,000 mile Tracer was easily £4,000 pounds cheaper than going down the new GT route. But each to their own, I wound never critisise anyone for buying brand new.

Edited by HGP61
spacing error
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

MY18/19 all have longer swingarm and slipper,  not just GT.   

True, but OP was specifically asking about the GT, that's why all of the responses mention it.