Shopping for an FJ09/Tracer GT

draco_1967

15 hours ago, HGP61 said:

I test rode a new GT bike at a local dealer before I bought my two yeat old model in July. My friend and riding buddy had gone for a new GT model a few weeks before, haven riden both models back to back I think that the differences in handling is minimal and for 95% of my riding not noticeable. Where the longer swing arm may be more relevent might be if you intend to ride with a pillion passenger. If I was making the decision to change my bike again I would probably go along the same route . My Two year old  6,000 mile Tracer was easily £4,000 pounds cheaper than going down the new GT route. But each to their own, I wound never critisise anyone for buying brand new.

That's a good data point. My wife rarely rides with me, so that's a non-issue. 

15 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

MY18/19 all have longer swingarm and slipper,  not just GT.   

The 18/19 non-GT hasn't been on my radar because I can't stand the glossy grey color. Maybe if I come across a good deal on a Tracer, I won't poo-poo it right away. I can always wrap, plasti-dip, or paint it...

It's sounding more and more like finding a good deal on a 2017 in the color I like will be the most sound option for me.

There are insane deals on CycleTrader for leftover 2019 non-GT Tracers (<$8K USD) going on now. I'm also interested in one of these bikes, and for that kind of money, I can add heated grips, luggage, and cruise and still come out way ahead over a GT. The grey and white color isn't the best combo, but I can live with it.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, xchemie said:

There are insane deals on CycleTrader for leftover 2019 non-GT Tracers (<$8K USD) going on now. I'm also interested in one of these bikes, and for that kind of money, I can add heated grips, luggage, and cruise and still come out way ahead over a GT.

There are 16 listing UNDER $7k right now!  With that kind of savings I could live with the Grey/White as well.  You could also factor in some AWESOME suspension! 😎👍

cycle-horiz-logo.png

Yamaha Tracer 900 motorcycles For Sale: 268 motorcycles Near You - Find...

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, xchemie said:

There are insane deals on CycleTrader for leftover 2019 non-GT Tracers (<$8K USD) going on now. I'm also interested in one of these bikes, and for that kind of money, I can add heated grips, luggage, and cruise and still come out way ahead over a GT. The grey and white color isn't the best combo, but I can live with it.

Dealers might fit accessories for no labour charge on new bikes. Buy it.

You can paint the white panels whatever colour you like.  👍

• Thumbsup 1

Yeah, I saw even a few at $6k... Of course, the cash price was *higher* because they want to load up fees, etc. Add in shipping too since none of those were near me, and the price would be ~$7K or so. But there are dealers in my state with bikes in the 7-8K range. I'm definitely going to shopping and see what kind of OTD deal I can get.

• Thumbsup 1

My '15 has cruise, heated grips, bar risers, larger windscreen, bar end weights, FJR pegs, flashed ECU, and other farkles I'm forgetting. It's by no means a GT, but if value is high on your list, this route does give you a lot of bang for the buck. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Turns out there is a leftover '17 at a nearby dealer. The tag they have on it says $8999! I'll see if they are willing to deal, especially considering prices out there on '19 Tracers. Otherwise, there are some good looking used options in neighboring states that I don't mind traveling for. 

I went for the GT because of all th extras that it has and I did want them all, and there are deals to be had. Some dealers are more motivated than others. I'm in Canada but I paid the equivalent of US$9500 OTD, for a '19 GT. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went to the local stealer, and they weren't willing to deal. The '19 they have they want $10,400 out the door, and the '17, which is a demo is still $10k and change out the door. Maybe I just suck at negotiation. I indicated there were a few dealers accross the country offering much lower prices, and they poo-pooed that quickly. 

I'll find a nice used one out there for a lot less...

• Premium Member
On 12/14/2019 at 7:21 AM, draco_1967 said:

That's MSRP. I would hope that with the 2020s hitting the dealers now, they would come down some on the price. 

My local dealer (Power Motorsports in Sublimity, Oregon) sells a ton of FJ-09s and Tracers. They have a couple of 2019 Tracer 900s in stock, but only 2020 model GTs. The fact that they don't have any 2019 GTs tells me there probably aren't many left in national inventory.

I think you have a sound plan, but if you find a 2017 FJ I definitely recommend a test ride before you buy, just to make sure the different swing arm isn't an issue.

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, keithu said:

My local dealer (Power Motorsports in Sublimity, Oregon) sells a ton of FJ-09s and Tracers. They have a couple of 2019 Tracer 900s in stock, but only 2020 model GTs. The fact that they don't have any 2019 GTs tells me there probably aren't many left in national inventory.

My local dealer is the same, the 2019 GT's all sold out and they currently have 2020 GT's and 2019 Tracers.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Well, the dealer on the other side of town was willing to deal. Not quite the low numbers I've seen a few states away, but I would have to spend $ to get the bike here. 

I signed the paperwork on a 2019 Tracer 900. I left the bike at the dealer, as I was on my FJR. I'll pick it up this weekend after the incoming storm clears out.

I may end up wrapping the gray with another color, but it's grown on me a bit. 

It was amazing to me to see the 17 and the 19 side by side yesterday, comparing the little details. The 19 looks much more "finished" to me. That's what pushed me toward the 19 over the 17. 

327258-1571310500-374597.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

Good Buy, the important think is you are happy with the deal and you have picked up a fantastic bike. I agree with you about the more "smoother" lines on the newer model and Yamaha's choice of colour scheme Picture of My 17 plate model for comparison below.

My Tracer.jpg

On 1/1/2020 at 2:13 AM, betoney said:

My local dealer is the same, the 2019 GT's all sold out and they currently have 2020 GT's and 2019 Tracers.

Here in South East Queensland, Australia  - where it is beautiful one day, burning the next - dealers within a reasonable distance from me have (again) no new GTs in stock, and less interest.   No wonder that Tracers of any kind are so rarely seen on the roads here.   I just don't understand it.   When I bought my 2019 GT in the middle of last year I had exactly the same problem, and had to e-mail Yamaha's HQ here in Oz to ask where I could find a dealership with at least one in stock.   The nearest was 70km away (which I ended up buying in a pretty good deal).

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.