HELD - opinions

duhs10

I've been wanting a leather riding suit, but not a "race" suit.  I found a Held touring 2 piece leather suit which seems good, decent price too, but I know really nothing of the brand....

Anyone on here have any opinions/experiences regarding Held's motorcycle gear?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Held is an established German manufacturer with a long history. Many North Americans are familiar with their gloves, which I've used almost exclusively for 20 years on street and track. The Held Steve is legendary and my year round street glove but also have used their rain gloves and many track models. 

Like all the large manufacturers they make some very nice stuff but also have some budget crap. The higher end stuff is manufactured in Germany and Hungary, some of the budget lines are manufactured in Asia. 

When I toured the Alps even made a special trip to their factory store on my way back to Munich. That was the first time I was able to see any of their suits. Some were very nice. At that time all the leather suits were still made in Germany. Don't know if that's still the case. If it's origin is Germany or Hungary I'd probably feel confident that it's quality gear. If it's Pakistan etc would probably want to be able to inspect it thoroughly before purchase (or use a vendor that allows returns for full refund etc). 

• Thumbsup 1

Held gloves are excellent and I have owned several pair.  The only glove I like better are the Racer brand.

I have a Held one piece suit that I bought many years ago for track days.  The build quality and materials of that suit are top drawer.  One of the best pieces of gear I have ever owned. I no longer do track days but still used the suit.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Yes the gloves are great! I've owned three pairs and currently are riding with a pair of "steves' right now. Well not riding right now, typing right now! HA!

Edited by 2linby

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, 2linby said:

Yes the gloves are great! I've owned three pairs and currently are riding with a pair of "steves' right now. Well not riding right now, typing right now! HA!

If you can type in a pair of riding gloves, those are awesome for feel. :lol:

Their winter Gore Tex gloves are the best I've found so far. 

@duhs10 who sells Held product besides gloves? Is the armor decent?

I"ve been using a pair of HELD leather gloves for years! They've "held" up really well! Do you have a link to the leather 2 piece riding suit?

I was actually considering the Aerostich Transit 3 waterproof leather suit. I'd like to see how it compares to the Held suit.

https://www.aerostich.com/transit-two-piece-suit-1.html

Thanks for the link.. the price seems too good to be true! It looks good, but I guess not in the same league with the Aerostich Transit 3 water proof leather..but the price on the Held and it's features look like a great deal. 

Edited by mingo
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I've worn the Transit 2 suit for several year; finest most versatile suit ever except for + 85 F days.  The Held suit is not even water resistant let alone waterproof.  The Transit suit is all treated to keep you +20 F degrees cooler, and it works,I've tested it against HD  back leather.  The armor I not CE certified but is eq to level 2.

The BMW Atlantis suit is water resistant but not wp and must be sent back to the Fatherland every few years to be re-treated. Worse it is Nubuck leather which does not slide in a crash very well.

2018 BMW Men's Atlantis Jacket $1099! Free shipping! Check out all the...

Rukka makes a comparable though not all leather Gortex laminate though better vented suit but it's even more $ than the Transit.  the Transit 3 was on sale with free shipping for $1600 which is less than I paid years ago but the new Gorepro leather while softer is not as tough.  I have a 25 year old Aerostitch classic two piece Roadcrafter suit that is still going strong!  Even more versatile but not near as sleek and stylish...

• Thanks 1

@2and3cylinders I agree that there are suits that are a lot more complete in terms of all weather protection and armor.  Aerostich being among the best of them.  I have gear for the cold and rain already but its hot and bulky in the summer. I am interested in a leather suit i can wear for day trips into the mountains for example when i know the weather will be nice but would be a bit more comfortable than a track day style suit. Didn't know much about Held so thought I would ask.

If I were looking for an actual "do anything in any type of weather" type of suit I would definitely be looking at the suits you mentioned in your post.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA