Bonjour from France

tilk

Hi there !

As you may have understood, I'm French. (So, please forgive me for any English mistake I will probably write).
I live in Paris suburbs and I received my MT-09 Tracer (a.k.a. FJ-09 for you) a few weeks ago, color "Matt Grey" (I did hesitate between colors "Race Blu" (without 'e') and "Matt Grey").
(Since I can't find this "Race Blu" color on Yamaha-Motor.com, here is a link on the Yamaha EU website for FJ-09 EU colors: Link)

My previous motorcycle was a Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2 (I don't know if you have the same name for it :P), and I had another Yamaha before: a FZS 600 Fazer.

See you !
Tilk

• Premium Member
Bonsoir.

They are not allowed the blu in North America.

I am based in the UK but will be in France in a few weeks, but not Paris. I will be riding around Bourgogne, Champagne Ardennes and Alsace.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Hi there !  
As you may have understood, I'm French. (So, please forgive me for any English mistake I will probably write).
I live in Paris suburbs and I received my MT-09 Tracer (a.k.a. FJ-09 for you) a few weeks ago, color "Matt Grey" (I did hesitate between colors "Race Blu" (without 'e') and "Matt Grey").
(Since I can't find this "Race Blu" color on Yamaha-Motor.com, here is a link on the Yamaha EU website for FJ-09 EU colors: Link)

My previous motorcycle was a Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2 (I don't know if you have the same name for it :P), and I had another Yamaha before: a FZS 600 Fazer.

See you !
Tilk

Welcome aboard. Missed your country last time, but looking forward to it soon. super_zpsd4x7by7h.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Bonsoir. 
They are not allowed the blu in North America.

I am based in the UK but will be in France in a few weeks, but not Paris. I will be riding around Bourgogne, Champagne Ardennes and Alsace.

That's too bad for North America, "Race Blu" is quite unique...

Since you'll be riding in Bourgogne, Champagne-Ardennnes and Alsace, don't forget to taste local wines for each of those regions (consume moderatly :P), but I presume that you may have chosen this route because of those typical wines. Be aware that cops often test your level of alcohol in those areas, so try to limit yourself before driving (French alcohol driving limit: two glass of wine).
Moreover, roads and landscapes are beautiful there, Bourgogne would my personal best...

Welcome aboard. Missed your country last time, but looking forward to it soon. super_zpsd4x7by7h.gif

Thank you very much! It's funny because I would love to visit the USA, One of my dreams is to make a road trip "West coast" from Vancouver to San Diego, CA with some of my friends...
The only part of North America I visited was Nova Scotia, Canada. I think there is a lot more to discover... :D

• Premium Member
Thank you very much! It's funny because I would love to visit the USA, One of my dreams is to make a road trip "West coast" from Vancouver to San Diego, CA with some of my friends... The only part of North America I visited was Nova Scotia, Canada. I think there is a lot more to discover... :D
I would be happy to show you the roads here in So. Cal. Just let me know. I will get you a Habit Burger also, assuming you like a good burger.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Bonjour monsieur tilk from across the channel,
im on standby to come to france in the 1st week in june to do a weeks tour of Normandy
its a tour of the WW2 sites, from the beaches , to the British/American/German cemeteries , to the submarine pens, to pegasus bridge and to the Falaise (?) Gap.
its something ive been hoping to do for ages but I found a English couple who own a guest house out in Normandy, they run a company called BIKE NORMANDY and they organise various tours around France and wider areas of Europe ( they run a support van, so you chuck your luggage in the back of the van so you can ride your bike with less weight, nice touch I thought )
anyway, I say im on standby because by the time I got round to booking the trip it was fully booked up, so im top of the standby list incase someone has to back out !! :-(
enjoy the forum, but id suggest cutting your credit card up sharpish cos theres so much temptation on here for extras for our Tracers !!!!
pilgo

• Premium Member
Tilk, you are correct in that I chose those areas because of their association with wine.

I find it is a great way to choose holiday destinations across Europe. Buy a bottle of European wine in a shop, if I like it I look into visiting where it came from at some time. French wines are my favourites and Burgundy, Champagne & Alsace are favoured regions which I have visited many times before. I am taking some friends to these areas - the trip is advertised here if anyone wants to join us. 

Drinking & eating the local produce will be a feature of the tour - we have 3 nights in Beaune and I will revisit the Patriarche  cellars which was great fun in 2003 when we take a day off from riding our bikes to enjoy Beaune. I want to explore the Morvan region west of Beaune on another day so if you have any recommendations please advise.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Welcome to the forum I have rode through France quite a few times on the way to Spain some great roads

Thank you very much Magpie! You're right, we do have some great roads in France, my favorite region for riding is Corsica which is just amazing.

Bonjour monsieur tilk from across the channel, im on standby to come to france in the 1st week in june to do a weeks tour of Normandy
its a tour of the WW2 sites, from the beaches , to the British/American/German cemeteries , to the submarine pens, to pegasus bridge and to the Falaise (?) Gap.
its something ive been hoping to do for ages but I found a English couple who own a guest house out in Normandy, they run a company called BIKE NORMANDY and they organise various tours around France and wider areas of Europe ( they run a support van, so you chuck your luggage in the back of the van so you can ride your bike with less weight, nice touch I thought )
anyway, I say im on standby because by the time I got round to booking the trip it was fully booked up, so im top of the standby list incase someone has to back out !! :-(
enjoy the forum, but id suggest cutting your credit card up sharpish cos theres so much temptation on here for extras for our Tracers !!!!
pilgo

Hello Mister Pilgo,
I was born and raised in Normandy, near Caen (City of William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy and... King of England ! in 1066... :D )
It's a fantastic tour that you are describing here. It might be a good idea to go visit the Memorial in Caen (http://normandy.memorial-caen.com/) which is a great WW2 museum explaining everything before going to beaches, bunkers, and other WW2 sites.
If you have any question regarding (Lower-)Normandy, Feel free to ask !

Tilk, you are correct in that I chose those areas because of their association with wine. 
I find it is a great way to choose holiday destinations across Europe. Buy a bottle of European wine in a shop, if I like it I look into visiting where it came from at some time. French wines are my favourites and Burgundy, Champagne & Alsace are favoured regions which I have visited many times before. I am taking some friends to these areas - the trip is advertised here if anyone wants to join us. 

Drinking & eating the local produce will be a feature of the tour - we have 3 nights in Beaune and I will revisit the Patriarche  cellars which was great fun in 2003 when we take a day off from riding our bikes to enjoy Beaune. I want to explore the Morvan region west of Beaune on another day so if you have any recommendations please advise.

It's a great way to find holiday destinations! You seem to have spent more time than me in Burgandy, so I don't know if I could help you. I only spent a couple of days in Beaune and I visited Maison Louis Jadot which was nice.

Tilk, thats not what we call him over here !!  :-X
im tempted to just jump on the Tracer and do my  own  tour rather than wait for a possible cancellation so I might take you up on the offer of local advice  ;)

• Premium Member
Tilk, thats not what we call him over here !!  :-X im tempted to just jump on the Tracer and do my  own  tour rather than wait for a possible cancellation so I might take you up on the offer of local advice  ;)
Just do it! It's so much easier to organise yourself nowadays with the internet. When I did my first trip to France in 1994, to the Massif Central & Savoie Alps, it was a case of reading things like the Rough Guide and poring over Michelin 1:200000 maps. I still do the latter as I love real maps and they are a great way to find little roads with good scenery once in a region. 
I have done organised trips with the likes of MCi but their mark up is huge and often the groups very large. I go to Europe most years and after two decades of trips I've ended up the tour guide myself - see the link above for a trip in June. The difference being, I only book hotels and suggest routes with no mark-up and no promise of service!

If you want somewhere to stay with English speaking hosts then have a look at Chateau le Mont Epinguet - I've stayed there twice in the last decade. Nice folk who will do half board at a reasonable price. The Chateau itself has some WW2 history as it is on the highest point on the Cotentin Peninsula so was used as a base by the Germans and then the US when they arrived. It's 15km south of Cherbourg so ideal if you have a late afternoon arrival or early morning departure from the port - Brittany Ferries are a class above other ferry operators. 

Tilk, thats not what we call him over here !!  :-X im tempted to just jump on the Tracer and do my  own  tour rather than wait for a possible cancellation so I might take you up on the offer of local advice  ;)
I know how you call him, but I'll keep "The Conqueror", don't ask me why :D 
Here is a good map from Normandy tourism office which locate major points of interest for a D-Day / Battle of Normandy Tour: 6908-1-battle-of-normandy-map.pdf
I would recommend the Memorial museum in Caen (#26 on the map) first, I'd say you can visit it in half a day (a full day if you want to read absolutely everything), but it is very complete and cover the whole subject. Then the "Must see" sites: Pegasus bridge (#31), Arromanches-les-bains (#21/22) and the "Pointe du Hoc" site (#12). Of course, as you're in Normandy, you can push further West to Mont-Saint-Michel.

If you do plan to come between June and September included, a lot of tourists (from all over the world) and a lot Parisians are coming too on the sea-side. You will certainly be annoyed at traffic jams around Cabourg and Deauville (Around #32 on the map) as "rich" parisians have summer residence in this area.
As you're riding your Tracer, you will be able to slowly ride between lanes (Caution: It is not allowed, just tolerated) as Parisians know how to react to it. They move their car to the far right to create some space available for bikes (A gentle wave to thank them is appreciated).

Feel free to PM me for any question on this subject.

Oups, I almost forgot: I entirely agree with Wessie's last post :D.

Hello Tilk, nice to see you have voulentered to become our `French advice department` :-) this will come in handy as I also am off to France and Germany early May! Going to the Vouges region + Black forest and Ardennes regions. a shorter than usaul tour as we have decided its not a marathon for this one and have even done the unthinkable and pre booked all our hotels! (happy pillion = happy rider!)
Anyway welcome to the forum.
And your English is fine- you really should hear some of my screw ups attempting French!

Archived