Fast Charging Phone/Nav

Mission360

Can anyone please help with the issue I am having?

I have trawled the forums regarding this and want to be able to up the amperage of the 12v accessory socket near the handlebars. At the moment my phone drains quicker than it charges when Nav/comms/music are active. I have read that it struggles to deliver even 1.6 amps.

I purchased an Optimate Usb charger plug that states it will deliver 3.3 amps as long as only one usb socket is used https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/o106-usb-charger-cig-plug

I have disconnected the 12v accessory socket and I have wired in a 30 amp relay with 17amp cable going direct to the 12v accessory socket instead. I have found a switched live to provide switched power etc etc. The relay is doing it's job and providing switched power to the accessory socket, and also a connection directly to the battery to the relay but I am still no better off amperage wise.

Have I misunderstood that this was even possible? I followed the instructions in the link below.

https://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html

Help!!

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Mission360 said:

Can anyone please help with the issue I am having?

I have trawled the forums regarding this and want to be able to up the amperage of the 12v accessory socket near the handlebars. At the moment my phone drains quicker than it charges when Nav/comms/music are active. I have read that it struggles to deliver even 1.6 amps.

I purchased an Optimate Usb charger plug that states it will deliver 3.3 amps as long as only one usb socket is used https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/o106-usb-charger-cig-plug

I have disconnected the 12v accessory socket and I have wired in a 30 amp relay with 17amp cable going direct to the 12v accessory socket instead. I have found a switched live to provide switched power etc etc. The relay is doing it's job and providing switched power to the accessory socket, and also a connection directly to the battery to the relay but I am still no better off amperage wise.

Have I misunderstood that this was even possible? I followed the instructions in the link below.

https://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html

Help!!

You have to be careful with that “lighter” plug. It will vibrate out of proper contact and look like it’s plugged in connected to your battery when it’s not. Put a shim in there to make sure you have no play and try again. 

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

If you’ve wired direct from the battery and used a switched live to trigger the relay then your proposal should work. But, as @coachluciano said, those sockets tend to make poor connections.

I replaced the socket with something like this, so you just put a USB cable in directly. 

s-l400.jpg

Waterproof function: Yes (life waterproof). Car modification USB charging...

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, coachluciano said:

You have to be careful with that “lighter” plug. It will vibrate out of proper contact and look like it’s plugged in connected to your battery when it’s not. Put a shim in there to make sure you have no play and try again. 

Agreed.  I never had luck using the 12v power cord for my GPS, it constantly lost power.  The dealer replaced it under warranty and the new plug was no different.  I finally stopped using it and hardwired the GPS to the switched auxiliary power leads behind the screen.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Another question along this topic.  I have a power port wired directly to the battery with a 15 amp fuse.   Will this damage a cell phone battery if I were to plug it in for a charge?

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, johnmark101 said:

Another question along this topic.  I have a power port wired directly to the battery with a 15 amp fuse.   Will this damage a cell phone battery if I were to plug it in for a charge?

Your adapter should have the circuitry to sent the correct output voltage to your phone.  Like the photo of the USB port above, 12v input from the bike and 5v output to the USB cable/charger.

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...

Charges my my samsung phones with quick/fast charging when connected to the original port on the left hand side of the bike.

Does not blow the 2A fuse. But only use any 1 port at a time.

Very snug fit. Tried it up to about 160-170km/h constantly for 1.5hrs and it will not run loose.

The only part that will come loose is where the USB cable connects. But its fine.

612gUMHiBJL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by quaxum
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 12/29/2019 at 9:09 AM, BBB said:

If you’ve wired direct from the battery and used a switched live to trigger the relay then your proposal should work. But, as @coachluciano said, those sockets tend to make poor connections.

I replaced the socket with something like this, so you just put a USB cable in directly. 

s-l400.jpg

Waterproof function: Yes (life waterproof). Car modification USB charging...

@BBB - I got one of these but found I had to remove some of the thread with a file to get it to fit into the existing hole.  No big deal and used some thread locker to compensate for the thead that I had removed.  YMMV but thought it worth mentioning.  What was you experience BBB?

P.S. I didn't want to enlarge the hole as I wanted to keep that as standard.

3 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

@BBB - I got one of these but found I had to remove some of the thread with a file to get it to fit into the existing hole.  No big deal and used some thread locker to compensate for the thead that I had removed.  YMMV but thought it worth mentioning.  What was you experience BBB?

P.S. I didn't want to enlarge the hole as I wanted to keep that as standard.

I had the same experience @dazzler24 , but I went the opposite way and slightly enlarged the hole, using a round file. It was a minimal change in diameter though.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, BBB said:

I had the same experience @dazzler24 , but I went the opposite way and slightly enlarged the hole, using a round file. It was a minimal change in diameter though.

Fair enough. Either way the change to dedicated USB ports (x2) was a good move IMHO.  I've left the other side as standard to allow for options.

On 12/28/2019 at 5:37 PM, coachluciano said:

A Shim?  I’m interested to know what your referring to. 

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, Darkduc said:

A Shim?  I’m interested to know what your referring to. 

A spacer. Something to wedge in the socket to keep the plug tight.  When I used my 12v socket, I would have to wrap electrical tape around the plug to add width and push it in tight, by buddy also has a '15 FJ and would occasionally push a thin piece of cardboard between the plug and socket but it would eventually vibrate loose on both bikes no matter what we tried.

• Thumbsup 1

What I've found more effective (well, I use Powerlet now) when a cig adapter won't stay put is to run a very small gauge piece of coated wire behind the prongs (the side pieces that need to make contact with the receptacle's surface). The wire serves as the shim referenced above while making certain there's still electrical contact. You can do the same with an oring but would require that you carefully pop the prongs loose to install it.

Edited by chitown
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

A spacer. Something to wedge in the socket to keep the plug tight.  When I used my 12v socket, I would have to wrap electrical tape around the plug to add width and push it in tight, by buddy also has a '15 FJ and would occasionally push a thin piece of cardboard between the plug and socket but it would eventually vibrate loose on both bikes no matter what we tried.

What @betoney said.  :)

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion.