gps satnav mount

keelan

hi,

i have recently purchased tracer 900 gt after selling my 2015 tracer and im trying to find a satnav mount so i can put my garmin sat nav above the clocks instead of below them ,i cant find anything like my old tracer mount has anyone found or made one for the gt

thanks keelan

80568883_2666738513612365_44543620320948

• Supporting Member
42 minutes ago, keelan said:

hi,

i have recently purchased tracer 900 gt after selling my 2015 tracer and im trying to find a satnav mount so i can put my garmin sat nav above the clocks instead of below them ,i cant find anything like my old tracer mount has anyone found or made one for the gt

thanks keelan

80568883_2666738513612365_44543620320948
s-l400.jpg

Fits Tracer 900 (and tracer 900GT) and FJ900 2018 - 2019. This holder can...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 weeks later...

It might just be the angle that you took the photo @bowlin01, but the satnav looks to take up a lot of the forward view through your screen. How’s the view in reality?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

9 hours ago, BBB said:

It might just be the angle that you took the photo @bowlin01, but the satnav looks to take up a lot of the forward view through your screen. How’s the view in reality?

@BBB yeah its the photo angle I think, eyeline when riding is almost at top of screen so shouldn't be an issue.

I'll see whether it's a problem when I get a test ride.

• Thumbsup 3

Wasn't there an issue with some people that having the nav above the LCD screen caused the nav to lose satellite reception? 

Could you let me know please as I would prefer mine to be mounted like this

Thanks

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, tojjer said:

Wasn't there an issue with some people that having the nav above the LCD screen caused the nav to lose satellite reception? 

Could you let me know please as I would prefer mine to be mounted like this

Thanks

I have an old Garmin Zumo 550 mounted on the GT's left handlebar. When I put the GPS on, and let it boot before turning on ignition, it has a full 5 bar signal. As soon as I turn on bike signal bars drop to 3 and sometimes 2. It effects it so much so that if I start the bike before booting GPS the unit can't lock onto the signal. Something definitely going on with the LCD screen.

• Thumbsup 2

This was my solution, see post (sat nav mount sorted)

Yes the TFT display plays havoc with the satnav, l removed It and screened it with copper and aluminium foil tape then connected to the battery earth. The display was then wrapped with black tape and you can’t tell it’s been done.

The RF interference emanating from the display made my gps totally unusable, but now it works great, still loses a small amount of signal strength but nowhere near as much as before.

Mike

538CEF04-D3B7-498D-806C-46C58156BA13.jpeg

FE232073-A60B-4A83-B4BB-12EBA298FAEA.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get out today to test the new SatNav mount. All good, it bounces a bit on really rough roads/ potholes (as expected) but I can still read the screen easily. No interference from the TFT screen. Very pleased with it, so much better than having the SatNav mounted on the handlebar. very pleased.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143945228@N07/shares/xT0qzr

Edited by bowlin01
  • Like 1

Thanks for the video, really helpful.

As you say, quite bouncy at times. I see you use a TomTom.

I wonder if its just the Garmins that have a problem with satellite interference?

Have to say it looks much better there than where I have mine though.

• Thumbsup 1

On 2/1/2020 at 4:42 PM, bowlin01 said:

Managed to get out today to test the new SatNav mount. All good, it bounces a bit on really rough roads/ potholes (as expected).

Thanks for the video @bowlin01. It confirms my experience with a similar mount in that area. For me that vibration was too annoying and outweighed the clear benefit of having the satnav in your sight line. I think it’s just an intrinsic result of the screen assembly design. Adding mass up there increases the pendulum effect.

I’ll stick with mine on the handlebar mount, despite the drawback of having to look down. 

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

6 hours ago, tojjer said:

Thanks for the video, really helpful.

As you say, quite bouncy at times. I see you use a TomTom.

I wonder if its just the Garmins that have a problem with satellite interference?

Have to say it looks much better there than where I have mine though.

Interesting to know if the interference is brand specific (TomTom or Garmin) it might also be a factor of distance from the tft (I have my screen in the uppermost position so the distance between tft and SatNav is quite large).

I'm liking the 'heads-up' position and it seems (so far) that the 'bounce' isn't too bad, certainly I don't get any vision bluring vibrations (which is what I had feared), I have no problems reading the SatNav at all.

Liking it so far.

• Thumbsup 2

Distance plays a big part on the level of interference, I tried moving mine about and it did change depending on how close to the display it was. If you bring up the satellite page showing signal strength you can see how much of an effect it has. I had to get mine a good distance away for a decent signal hence why I went down the screening route. Perhaps there is something about the garmin.
I made my mounting bracket which bolts on to the main structure at the front of the bike to try and eliminate any bouncing and position the gps in what I felt was the optimum position for me. A bit of work but well worth it in my book.

Mike

7E34FB69-5EF0-4009-9CB0-3EE935EBCF7D.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2