Yamaha Comfort Seat question.

• Premium Member

I got the Yamaha Comfort seat on my GT about a year ago and now have 8600 miles on the bike.  I'm very pleased with it.   Have no issues of discomfort.  Very reasonable price too for a front and back set.  I've never tried the "high end" options (ie expensive) so not comparing it to any of them.

Best way to put it is that the seat will not limit the miles I can out on the bike.  I'm 6'2 and 220lbs if that matters.

It's got gel in it so in direct sun on HOT day best to put cloth over it when parked.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I have not used the comfort seat but have heard the same as @roadrash83 - only marginal improvement over stock. 

For nearly the same price you could get the Bagster Ready-Luxe w/Bultex foam. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Note for posters to be careful to distinguish between the 2019+ Tracer and prior models.

The FJ-09/first gen Tracer 900 comfort seat was bad.  The new one seems much improved on appearance alone, but I have no personal experience with it.

Edited by stevesweetz

I have bought Sargent seats for other bikes in the past and have been very satisfied.  But the fitment of the Sargent for the Tracer 900 GT was so bad I sent it back before even taking it for a ride.  

Called Sargent yesterday and discussed this with them.  As always they were extremely friendly and professional on the phone.  The gentleman I spoke with confirmed they had made the Tracer seat by modifying their own seat pan for the FJ-09 and that it was their worst seat release in their history.  It has since been tuned up a bit but from what I have seen it is still aesthetically a poor fit, and I am particular about these things.

So, I have decided to send my stock seat to Sargent for a custom build.  I am pretty sure it will be a big improvement, and it will be a good factory fit.   Will let you all know how it goes.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 11 months later...

I found the OEM seat to be like a brick ,not so good for sitting on .

I removed the cover and foam, then remodelled a pillion seat from a late model VStrom I had (bought a lower seat).

After a weekend of cutting, sanding and testing my new foam it was far better .

No sloping towards tank ,plenty of depth in cheek areas and a higher back .

Slightly higher and lots of springy flex from High Quality Suzuki foam.

And with all that and some thin  memory foam covering my mistakes , I managed to get the Tracer OEM seat vinyl back on .

Removed rubbers from rear of seat and put it on the high settings ,just get that back down .

But I still get the Family Jewels crushed when sharp throttling down .Ouch !

Handy to have all the tools plus pneumatic staple gun .

I often wonder why bike manufactures don't just get everything RIGHT .

I thought of Bagster and the other aftermarket seat suppliers .

Sargent was top of my list after buying one for a Tiger 800 (it did so well for three Tigers), but glad I didn't after reading comments here .

Edited by Scoti

I have been eyeing the comfort seat and other options but still undecided.  Bought a 2020 Tracer GT in South Dakota while on a trip turned adventure.  Took the AirHawk cushion off of my BMW F800GT comfort seat and rode away.  Seat in high position, didn't notice it slanted too forward by them I got back home had 2,000 miles on the bike.  My comparisons are all with the AirHawk cushion: worst seat - BMW standard, best was BMW comfort with the Yamaha in between but close to the BMW comfort seat.  I did one 500 mile day on the way back without too much difficulty - had more difficulty with buffeting from stock windscreen and the hight temperatures (96F) and the seat was a minor issue.  After I got home put the seat in the low position which I like better - I'm 5' 10" 32" inseam.  It doesn't slide me into the tank.  When I am running hard and braking hard I tend to grip the bike with my knees which also helps prevent sliding forward.  The BMW comfort seat I had was pretty new when I got it and seemed like it took 1,000 miles or more to "break in".   Tracer GT seat seems to be the same way as well.  If the comfort seat is an improvement over the standard then I would be able to ride 600 miles in a day with no seat problems.  Longest stretch on the Tracer has been180 miles and that was down to the gas light when stopping so probably 2 hours and 45 minutes I'd guess.

Well, I had thought I would sent my stock seat off to Sargent, but before pulling the trigger I called Terry Adcox.  After talking with him a bit I decided to let him make a custom seat for me on my stock seat pan.  This way I knew it would fit the bike well.  Only problem is the guy stays booked months in advance.  However once he is ready to work on your seat he calls you to send it in and that way the turnaround is quick.  He also has you take a few photos sitting on the bike, showing mostly just your body from the shoulders to the knees.  This way he has a good idea of how to shape the seat.

Had it for a season and let me tell you this seat is excellent.  I was a bit put off at first because it is pretty wide and looks a bit odd on the bike when first installed.  The seat is pretty firm, and at first sit I was wondering if I made the right decision.  Hit the road on the Tracer for a few days and could not have been more pleased.  On the way home a minor emergency meant that I had to make time, so near the end of the day I got on interstate I-75 north and did 150 miles without a stop, sitting in one spot with the cruise control set at 80 mph.  No squirming, no hot spots and no butt discomfort of any kind helped me to focus on keeping my distance from the other vehicles and tractor trailers.  Best seat I have ever had on a motorcycle.     

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.