is anyone using a HJC RPHA 11/ Shoei GT Air helmets

stumpy

I'm looking to get a new helmet at the bike show this weekend to replace my old Bell star helmet.  The HJC RPHA 11 is on my radar along with a Shoei GT Air.  Arai is also there but i'm not sure if i want to spend the extra if one of these other 2 would work as well.  

Normally HJC has been off of my radar for a while due to what I would deem not as nice of quality as other brands.  I have had Arai(my fav), Shoei, HJC, CKX and a couple of others that I can't remember the names(junk).  I have read many reviews of the RPHA 11 and they are very good...just wondering if on a sit up style bike like the FJ/Tracer, it would be as quiet and comfortable as others.  Most reviews were people on sport bikes and track guys.

• Supporting Member

I own the GT Air and like it a lot, all-day comfortable, well made, good air flow and relatively quiet.  Since the GT Air II is out now, you can probably pick up the original a bit cheaper.

Regardless of brand or features, determine your head shape first.  Not all helmets cater to every head shape.

helmet_sizing_hero.png

Six simple steps to getting a helmet that fits both your riding style and your...

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I second Betoney's comments regarding the SHOEI GT Air. Quality, comfort and great air flow which was important to me.  YMMV on that front.  Good luck with the search.

@stumpy yeah GP Bikes usually has a decent 25% off sale at the show.

I picked up an RPHA 70 ST 2 years ago, which is HJC's version of the GT Air (RPHA 11 doesnt have the drop-down sun visor).

I came from a Shoei RF-1100 and to be honest, the HJC is noticeably louder. Apart from that, build quality is pretty great and its held up after 2 years and about 25k. Sena fit nicely and the visors are about half the cost of Shoei, so I have 3 (tint, clear and reflective). 

Happy with it, but I did really enjoy the quietness of the Shoei so in the future I might look at going back to Shoei. Now that the air2 is out, maybe next year I can snag a deal.

Not a fan of the GT Air. I like my RF1200 much better. There is less wind pressure on the helmet making neck fatigue less of a factor. Just my 2 cents worth. 

Got a gt-air this year to replace my old shoei. With the no screen in the summer its great. But with the givi touring screen for winter the fog vent doesn't get air and the internal visor and my safety glass will fog up. So i have to stand or move my head to the side to get air. It is quiet though. 

18 hours ago, bugie said:

I have a GT-air (1); there is now the 2. I personally love my Shoei. Do you have the pinlock insert inserted @limpy88

Yes. The main visor never fogs. I guess I should have been more specific. The internal shaded drop drown visor fogs when behind a big windshield. 

I need to get some paste version of catcrap. The liquid spray version froze a couple times and doesn't work well anymore. Probably solve my issues.

5 hours ago, limpy88 said:

Yes. The main visor never fogs. I guess I should have been more specific. The internal shaded drop drown visor fogs when behind a big windshield. 

I need to get some paste version of catcrap. The liquid spray version froze a couple times and doesn't work well anymore. Probably solve my issues.

Yeah, the internal visor does that a lot. Have you tried removing the chin guard as i find my breath rebounds off it straight up  onto the visor?

• Premium Member

I actually recently switched from a Shoei RF1200 to the RPHA 11 Pro and I love it.  The biggest difference I noticed was that the RPHA 11 Pro is a good bit lighter.   Not quite as noticeable in the hand, but definitely on the head and neck while wearing it.  The Shoei feels a little front heavy when swapping back and forth with direct comparison.

The noise levels are comparable, but I also switched from an FJ-09 to an S1000RR at a similar time as replacing the helmet.  The viewport is plenty large and I don't notice much of a difference in wind noise when I engage the cruise control and sit up (it stays quiet).  The wind force pushing against the helmet is also similar and I don't notice any pulling when I check my blind spots like I did with a much older HJC helmet of the IS lineup.

The ear pockets also fit the Sena headset speakers much better and there's no direct contact with my ears like the in the RF1200.   I've not ridden with the GT Air, so I can't compare directly.   Also, for me, the Arai and the Bell helmets did not fit my head at all.  I really wanted the Bell Star MIPS to fit, but it's just the wrong shape for me.

The RPHA 11 Pro came with a clear visor, tinted visor and pinlock insert!  I've been commuting daily since September and between the pinlock and the various vents, I never worry about it fogging.  The only thing about the RPHA 11 Pro is that the visor detents are a little weak.  I can ride with it cracked a hair or open, but anywhere in between and the wind resistance will push it shut as soon as I get going.  I don't mind because it's usually about at a speed where I'd reach up and shut it anyhow.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2020 at 7:32 AM, betoney said:

I own the GT Air and like it a lot, all-day comfortable, well made, good air flow and relatively quiet.  Since the GT Air II is out now, you can probably pick up the original a bit cheaper.

Regardless of brand or features, determine your head shape first.  Not all helmets cater to every head shape.

helmet_sizing_hero.png

Six simple steps to getting a helmet that fits both your riding style and your...

Did you get to the show yesterday @stumpy?

I know it’s not on your list, but 613 Motorsports from Ottawa is there and are blowing out AGV helmets (also Astars jackets and Sidi boots).

As usual GP Bikes is there with the best selection of helmets.

One of my riding buddies was looking at the RPHA and GT Air (1)and went with the Shoei. 

Good luck with the search!

Rob

• Thumbsup 1

@rlambke19 I did get to the show on friday evening and picked up this instead.  RPHA 70.

I tried the gt air, gt air 2, RPHA 11 and countless Arai's. Settled on the RPHA 70 it fit my head well and liked the idea of the drop down sun shield.  I seemed like the lightest of the bunch too.

I actually got it from 613 for 500 taxes in along with a nice pair of TCX riding boots for the wife at $100 otd also.

GP bikes sucked the wallet thin also with 2 new leather jackets for the wife and I to add to the collection.

hjc_helmets_rpha70_st_balius_mc5_sf_750x750.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1