is anyone using a HJC RPHA 11/ Shoei GT Air helmets

stumpy

• 5 weeks later...

Both are great helmets, with the Shoei being slightly more "premium," with the price tag to match. I recently tried both models, as well as Arai, AGV, Scorpion, and Shoei's RF line. When I put the GT air 2 on, I knew immediately the fit was right. That and the Neotec 2 fit about the same, but I have no real interest/need for a modular. I walked in hoping the RF would fit me, since I've really become attached to the photochromic shield, but like I said, once the GT air went on, I was sold. The HJC did fit, as did the other Shoei's, but the GT hugged my noggin just right. I'm sure I'll be able to live with the flip down sun visor as opposed to the leave-it-alone-and-it's-always-perfect photochromic.

Point being, fit is going to be paramount, and features second.

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, Maverick302 said:

When I put the GT air 2 on, I knew immediately the fit was right. That and the Neotec 2 fit about the same, but I have no real interest/need for a modular. I walked in hoping the RF would fit me, since I've really become attached to the photochromic shield, but like I said, once the GT air went on, I was sold. The HJC did fit, as did the other Shoei's, but the GT hugged my noggin just right

Funny, my experience with the GT Air was exactly the same.  After the sales guy determined my head shape he narrowed the choice down to several helmets, once I tried on the GT Air it was like a revelation, I never knew that a helmet could be so comfortable.  I didn't even consider cost when trying them on but like the saying goes, "you cant put a price on comfort".

After owning it several years, I just recently replaced the removable pads and it feels like magic all over again.👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/5/2020 at 9:26 AM, Maverick302 said:

Both are great helmets, with the Shoei being slightly more "premium," with the price tag to match. I recently tried both models, as well as Arai, AGV, Scorpion, and Shoei's RF line. When I put the GT air 2 on, I knew immediately the fit was right. That and the Neotec 2 fit about the same, but I have no real interest/need for a modular. I walked in hoping the RF would fit me, since I've really become attached to the photochromic shield, but like I said, once the GT air went on, I was sold. The HJC did fit, as did the other Shoei's, but the GT hugged my noggin just right. I'm sure I'll be able to live with the flip down sun visor as opposed to the leave-it-alone-and-it's-always-perfect photochromic.

Same here, but I went with the (discontinued) GT Air 1 instead of the Air 2, mostly because  D-rings are more comfy for me than buckle-style fasteners.  I tried on all the Shoei models at my local Cycle Gear store.  The GT Air's were the best fit for my head shape, so my choice narrowed down to either the Air 1 or the Air 2. 

Cycle Gear had a couple Air 1's on close-out sale, but they only had a matte black in my size.  Black was out of the question for me.   Alternatively,  I found an metallic gray Air 1 online for $372 shipped.  The GT Air is my first lid with an internal sun visor.  I will never own another helmet without one.  

Can't comment on other brands, Shoei has been my only jam since the 80's.  Always a high quality product from them.  Once again, with the GT Air,  Shoei earned my dollars.  Cheers.

Edited by 2WHLOZK
spelling correction
  • Thumbsup 1