Last ride of 2019

keithu

• Premium Member

As mentioned elsewhere, I took a ride out to the Oregon coast yesterday for a traditional "last ride of the year." My plan was to meet up with another forum member in Florence for lunch. I departed south out of Albany on OR-99E through Junction City, where I jumped over to Territorial Highway through Veneta. South of Crow I turned onto Wolf Creek Road, one of my favorite winding routes in the Siuslaw National Forest. A little way up the road I realized that this is actually the way to Reedsport, not Florence. Oops. Fortunately I left three hours early for a destination only 90 minutes away, so I still had plenty of time for a scenic ride and photos. 

The roads in Siuslaw Forest have been among my favorites since I moved to Oregon 23 years ago. They are paved, mostly unlined, and with little traffic. But this is a working forest, so one must be aware that log trucks may loom around every blind corner. This time of year the pavement is also covered with fir needles and moss, so it's not a place for high speeds or knee dragging. But it's still a perfect place for some two wheeled therapy. 

In the middle of the Siuslaw road system there's a large wooden sign with a map. From here roads radiate out towards Reedsport, Mapleton, Eugene, and Curtin. Just pick a red line and enjoy. I followed the Siuslaw River (the line going to the lower-right of the map) towards OR-126 and Mapleton. For the next 26 miles I didn't see a single other vehicle, not even a log truck. 

Morning weather was almost perfect, with temps in the upper 40s (~9C) and sunny skies. Clouds loomed over Florence, but it was still dry and 50F. I'd heard there was to be huge surf accompanying a Pacific storm along the coast, so rather than head back inland I rode north into the storm along US-101. The coastline was blustery, but the wind blown surf wasn't as big as I saw last week near Pacific City. I decided to ride up to the top of Cape Perpetua, where an overlook hangs 800 feet (250 meters) over the shoreline. I was at the cloudline and winds howled up the cliff face at 40-50 knots. Bracing! Everyone should experience a Pacific winter storm along the Oregon coast. 

At Waldport I turned back inland on longtime favorite OR-34. Wind and light rain followed me all the way home, but the warmer temps meant it wasn't unpleasant. I rolled into the garage with 235 more miles on the clock, just in time to enjoy some New Years Eve tapas. 

2019_1231_10444000.jpg

2019_1231_10451500.jpg

2019_1231_10462100.jpg

2019_1231_10560500.jpg

2019_1231_11105400.jpg

2019_1231_11114600.jpg

2019_1231_12444500.jpg

2019_1231_13215700.jpg

2019_1231_13365200.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

That whole section of Oregon between 101 and I-5 is amazing.  I have ridden most of the main roads zig-zagging inland from the coast and it never gets old, such a unique experience.  You are fortunate to have that right in your backyard! 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, koth442 said:

People who say E. Tennessee and W. North Carolina have the best riding in the country, have never been to Oregon / Nor Cal. Beautiful and looks like an absolute blast!

I rode with some Kawasaki C14 riders last summer who ride down from British Columbia specifically to ride the Central Oregon / Northern California roads.  As I was going through hours and hours of twisty hilly roads on good pavement (for days), I was thinking the same thing.  Those roads were fantastic.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, koth442 said:

People who say E. Tennessee and W. North Carolina have the best riding in the country, have never been to Oregon / Nor Cal. Beautiful and looks like an absolute blast!

It doesn't have to be a contest. Both areas offer excellent riding! 😁

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I used to lead rides in the Siuslaw Forest from time to time. If anyone is interested, this would be a fun day of riding next summer for anyone who can make it to the Eugene area. 

2019_1231_10561800.jpg

• Thanks 1