Golden Mongrel

Larz

• Supporting Member

@Larz - Very nice, it will ride like a completely different bike.

I spy some beautiful scenery in the background.  I hope to make it down to Arizona at some point to enjoy a few days of riding.

Enjoy the upgrades.! 👍

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 1/3/2020 at 8:38 AM, betoney said:

@Larz - Very nice, it will ride like a completely different bike.

I spy some beautiful scenery in the background.  I hope to make it down to Arizona at some point to enjoy a few days of riding.

Enjoy the upgrades.! 👍

Ride on, man. Shoot me a line if you get down here.

I dont think the change is as dramatic on the GT vs an FJ: the stock stuff is cheap but adjustable at least. After the shop set it up it was halfway decent. It's that harshness over the little stuff when you get it firm enough to handle spirited riding, and then it still wallows on a frost heave mid-turn😐 ( on my bike at my wieght, can imagine a 200 lb rider on the stock FJ suspension 🙃). It's much more compliant now . Freeway expansion joints were harsh on the stock suspension, soaks up 'em now. Soaks up big bumps in turns without upseting the chassis as well👍

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, mingo said:

Looks great! Did you do the installation yourself? Could you give us a price beak down on the front end and back? thanks. 

I had the installation done at a local sport bike shop. The kid who installed it weighs just about the same as me, he rode around some and adjusted the suspension- feels good with no pre-load on the shock and empty panniers.

total $$ installed with tax: $2350.00 USD

Andreani carts: $600.00

Ohlins  YA 535 shock: $1150.00

Seals, oil, misc: $100.00

• Like 1

Thanks for the breakdown. I suppose it's money better spent on this than a full racing exhaust, which I've always done mostly for esthetics and aural reasons with mostly zero performance gains. Having done a full Ohlins upgrade on a previous bike, it truly transformed the ride. 

My Tracer currently has ZERO km's on it but the list of farkles is growing... currently in Costa Rica dodging winter and working on improving my Spanish. 

Edited by mingo
  • Thumbsup 1

On 1/3/2020 at 2:50 PM, Larz said:

Got the carts and shock installed: Italian front end with a Swedish arse 😋

Toss in the American pipe and she's a real mongrel now, eh.

IMG_20200102_142251.jpg

No!!! your disription of your bike is wrong it can't be described as a mongrel, What you have done has just improved the pedigree. Nice background by the way makes bike stand out in all its glory.

• Haha 1

@mingoalready blew $1100 on a Graves full exhaust- did add significant oomph. Power wheelies in standard mode with tcs 1 easily now; sport mode is actually scary ( to this old man at least;)

Yamaha owns Ohlins. Too bad they don't offer us in the US/Canada the SP version of the Tracer with full Ohlins electronic suspension. The price difference would have been equal to what you paid to get yours done and they're not adjustable on the fly as with the e-suspension. When I owned my SupeTenere, I set the suspension and never touched it again unless I was with a passenger or fully loaded for a multi day trip, nice to dial up more preload with the touch of a button. 

p.s. LOVE the wrap on your bike. I was actually thinking of getting it done on mine to match the wheels before I saw yours.. Now I see it looks really great! 

Edited by mingo
  • Thumbsup 1

10 hours ago, mingo said:

...The price difference would have been equal to what you paid to get yours done and they're not adjustable on the fly as with the e-suspension....p.s. LOVE the wrap on your bike. I was actually thinking of getting it done on mine to match the wheels before I saw yours.. Now I see it looks really great! 

yeah, at this $$ point could have bought Versys 1000 with the E-suspension or MV Augusta sport tourer. Guess I'm paying for the pleasure of the Triple, which I love.

P.S. It's not wrap, it's Plasti-dip

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, mingo said:

Yamaha owns Ohlins. Too bad they don't offer us in the US/Canada the SP version of the Tracer with full Ohlins electronic suspension. The price difference would have been equal to what you paid to get yours done and they're not adjustable on the fly as with the e-suspension.

Give it a few years.  With all of the upgrades Kawasaki offered on their 2020 models, Yamaha is going to have to make a few changes or get passed by. 

Yamaha offered CC on the GT and Kawasaki followed suit on the Ninja and Versys but also offered advanced IMU, cornering ABS and TC and smartphone integration, not to mention some models with electronic suspension and superchargers.

With the FJR being long in the tooth and no longer Euro V compliant, I think Yamaha is going to offer something new within 3-5 years and it will have to at least compare with the Versys 1000 SE LT+.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 10 months later...
On 1/3/2020 at 8:50 AM, Larz said:

Got the carts and shock installed: Italian front end with a Swedish arse 😋

Toss in the American pipe and she's a real mongrel now, eh.

Very nice, exactly what i hoped for: a plusher ride with no wallowing when you hit a big bump heeled over in a turn

IMG_20200102_142251.jpg

IMG_20200102_142341.jpg

IMG_20200102_142352.jpg

IMG_20200102_142426.jpg

Now all that is left it to powder coat the wheels yellow.