General Questions (Heated Grips, Signals, Hand Guards)

Hello all! I'm brand new here. Bought my 2015 FJ in October from its original owner and have put about 3000 miles on it since then. Looking for some thoughts, parts and advice related to somethings I've noticed.

Parts:

First off I found a thread talking about some general amazon and ebay parts and looked through most of it. Is there any place that someone has collected a list of aftermarket parts that work for the FJ as a reference list? I recently had a small accident that cleaned out my right side of my bike and need to replace some minor things

1) I need a set of handguards as I totally borked the original set when I hit the pavement last week.
2) Same thing with the turn signals, I hated the stock ones anyways, so I purchased these and hope they work, heard that I needed YME-W but only found the YME-H... so I dunno: 

s-l400.jpg

Set of 2 blinkers to replace the standard blinkers. Unique, stylish...

Some other things I was thinking about getting was a bash plate, and a radiator guard.

Anyone got suggestions for things that worked for their FJ? Seems kinda hard to find parts for this bike and tell which ones truly work for the FJ/FZ/MT and which ones only work for one and not the others.

Heated Grips:

I've found that my grip is much warmer on the right side than it is on the left... which kinda sucks cause I can't take my hand off the throttle and could off the clutch side... but that's the side that isn't getting warm enough! My friend has an fj and says he has the same issue. Is this common problem for others, and is there a way to solve it?

Thanks for any help and advice!

• Premium Member

Grips - yes, common. A few layers of electrical tape under the left grip helps but doesn't fix the problem. 

Parts - look at sticky topics under parts?

Grips - I'm happy with very, very bright flushmounts sold by Tripageled.com. 

• Premium Member

Barkbuster Storms are a good handguard replacement. They make a couple versions, I recommend the single bar end mount. There is no reason to get the version with the inner mount. The bar end version is plenty strong and a lot easier to install.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, OnePuddleUnder said:

Anyone got suggestions for things that worked for their FJ? Seems kinda hard to find parts for this bike and tell which ones truly work for the FJ/FZ/MT and which ones only work for one and not the others.

If you go to motorcycle parts websites like Revzilla or RockymountainMC, you can put in your specific year and model of bike and it will show you all of the parts available.

Have you already tried the links on the top menu under "FJ/Tracer Parts?"

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Heated grips on all the bikes that I've owned from Ducati to BMW to Yamaha to Honda have the same issue. On the throttle side, the grip is insulated from the handlebar by the throttle tube, whereas on the clutch side, the grip is in contact with the handlebar which acts as a heat sink and sucks away the heat so the left hand always feels not as warm as the right hand. 

I've recently added these to my other bike, at the highest setting they become too hot to touch without wearing gloves (I was bench testing them before installation) which solves the problem of the clutch side grip. The manufacturer claims at full capacity the grips will reach a temperature of 70 C which is 158 F. 

koso_apollo_heated_grips.jpg

When it's cold enough to use heated grips the roads probably aren't in the...

9 hours ago, betoney said:

If you go to motorcycle parts websites like Revzilla or RockymountainMC, you can put in your specific year and model of bike and it will show you all of the parts available.

Have you already tried the links on the top menu under "FJ/Tracer Parts?"

Yeah, I tried that, but doesn't bring up anything related to what I searched for, and didn't really feel that clicking through everypage would help much, but I tried. Still was unable to find replacement turn signals. And I'm not too keen on getting the same old pumpkins, was figuring if I needed to pay for replacements I'd get something I like a bit more.

11 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Grips - yes, common. A few layers of electrical tape under the left grip helps but doesn't fix the problem. 

Parts - look at sticky topics under parts?

Grips - I'm happy with very, very bright flushmounts sold by Tripageled.com. 

I believe I did, but maybe I'm missing something... I didn't see anything about the parts I have listed. I did find a reply mentioning frame guard that I purchased already.

These ones here for the FZ? Did they mount directly?

2013+ FZ 07/09 Proton Signals

8 hours ago, mingo said:

Heated grips on all the bikes that I've owned from Ducati to BMW to Yamaha to Honda have the same issue. On the throttle side, the grip is insulated from the handlebar by the throttle tube, whereas on the clutch side, the grip is in contact with the handlebar which acts as a heat sink and sucks away the heat so the left hand always feels not as warm as the right hand. 

I've recently added these to my other bike, at the highest setting they become too hot to touch without wearing gloves (I was bench testing them before installation) which solves the problem of the clutch side grip. The manufacturer claims at full capacity the grips will reach a temperature of 70 C which is 158 F. 

koso_apollo_heated_grips.jpg

When it's cold enough to use heated grips the roads probably aren't in the...

These solved your problem because they keep the grip from being in contact with the handlebar? Or simply because the heat is higher? The reason I ask is because the highest setting on the stock ones make it so I can't keep my hand on the throttle but keeps my left hand finally warm. If these help to even out the heat temp, I would probably by a pair yesterday.

Edited by OnePuddleUnder

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, OnePuddleUnder said:

I believe I did, but maybe I'm missing something... I didn't see anything about the parts I have listed. I did find a reply mentioning frame guard that I purchased already.

Yes

From upper left on the computer webpage of this site, Tracer parts.  Revzilla.  Use the filter on the left:

yamaha_gytr_radiator_guard_fj09_300x300.

2017 Yamaha FJ-09 Parts & Accessories at RevZilla.com. Free...

17 minutes ago, OnePuddleUnder said:

These solved your problem because they keep the grip from being in contact with the handlebar? Or simply because the heat is higher? The reason I ask is because the highest setting on the stock ones make it so I can't keep my hand on the throttle but keeps my left hand finally warm. If these help to even out the heat temp, I would probably by a pair yesterday.

To be clear, these are not on my Tracer as mine is factory equipped, but on my other bike. The heat is higher than on stock grips, the left grip feels comfortably warm when wearing cold weather riding gloves. 

• Thumbsup 1

35 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

Yes

From upper left on the computer webpage of this site, Tracer parts.  Revzilla.  Use the filter on the left:

yamaha_gytr_radiator_guard_fj09_300x300.

2017 Yamaha FJ-09 Parts & Accessories at RevZilla.com. Free...

Definitely starting to feel closer to stupid, but currently just feeling frustrated. I clicked the link in the upper left to revzilla parts, then the dropdown for lighting to filter and everything is not clickable for me... so not sure what is different about others experiences

Edited by OnePuddleUnder

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, OnePuddleUnder said:

Here you can buy the Proton signals exactly for the FJ.

I have the X-Arc signals for front and rear and like them alot.

image.thumb.png.72811657c61e914dfd3926b793b7c461.png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***