Power commander

bugie

Hey all,

So i am currently looking into installing a Power commander with auto-tune on my GT. I am only favouring this over a remap because over in Malta there aren't any reliable companies i would trust to remap my bike (the pleasures of living on a tiny island), and, i am apprehensive about sending my ecu abroad.

I was looking at the installation instructions for the PC and can see that it states that I should posi-tap into the wiring loom. I assume this is to have an ignition controlled power supply (correct me if I am wrong please). I personally would like to avoid posi-taping on the wiring loom, so was wondering if there was another source I can use that would not touch the OEM wiring loom (such as the number plate light after the connector plug)?

I have used the PCV with AutoTune years ago before FTecu ActiveTune... yes you can tap into any keyed power source- don't need to use posi-taps but you can solder for better connection... 

Only connection I know of that actually taps into the bikes actual wiring loom is to allow "per gear mapping"...

AutoTune does not do any auto tuning- it offers "values" you can accept or deny to achieve the desired AFR value you plugged into the table... it requires you to ride not just around the block but a good 30+ min ride in various speeds to help the AutoTune figure out what "values" to reccomend...

A general PCV map is good for about 95% of potential tuning capabilities, autotune will probably add another 2%... it only offers fuel values not ign...

FTecu ActiveTune is like 97% of potential tuning capabilities and its basically having a dyno tuner ride along 24/7 doing 1038487439 calculations automatically per sec to keep the bike running the same no matter what type of deal...

• Thanks 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I don't blame you for not wanting to ship off your ECU somewhere far away.  I am surprised that the PCV requires tapping into the wiring loom.  I have used them on two different bikes and they both came with OEM style connections so that it would plug right into the existing connectors on the bike.  The PCV's I have used were specific to my particular bikes.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Thanks @betoney - I saw that and it is very interesting! I was waiting to see what tuning files become available as at the moment it seems that only stock files are available and creating custom tunes is beyond my current skill level.

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, bugie said:

Thanks @betoney - I saw that and it is very interesting! I was waiting to see what tuning files become available as at the moment it seems that only stock files are available and creating custom tunes is beyond my current skill level.

It might not be as complicated as you think, there are tons of installation, programming and operating videos on Youtube.

Edited by betoney
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Power Visions are sweet, and allow a ton of flexibility when tuning. They can also report and clear trouble codes on some models. 

as Bugie posted, the posi-tap connection is for the TPS. Make SURE that you don’t wire into the APS wiring by mistake! They are both TPS sensors, but have different colored connectors, are in 2 different locations and perform different functions. 

I’ve got a PC-V and they’re not terribly hard to install. As a heads up, the wide band o2 sensor included with the auto tune module is a larger thread than the standard o2 on the stock pipe. Some aftermarket pipes have the correct bung already welded on, or there’s a usually one included with the auto tune module that you can weld on to the exhaust of your choice. 

HTH,

Skip

Edited by skipperT

I'll stick my oar in and note that a PC-V or PC-III will allow a bike with no built-in Quick Shift function to run a QS ...

TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email