GT Warranty Claim.- NOT !

Kenny A.

• Supporting Member

My 2019 GT (11 months old/4000 miles) is going in to the dealers on Wed.,to have a warranty job done. Starter/kill switch is faulty. When you hit the kill switch,engine stops, BUT starter motor is still turning!!  Dealer says he has a GT in there with the same fault. He also told me it is a known fault with certain Yamaha's.  Nice one Yamaha.👎   Anybody else had the same problem?

Ride safe,

Kenny.

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Kenny A. said:

When you hit the kill switch,engine stops, BUT starter motor is still turning!!  Dealer says he has a GT in there with the same fault.

You say when you turn the kill switch off the starter motor is STILL turning. 

Is the starter motor is continuously turning while the bike is running?

Edited by betoney

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, betoney said:

You say when you turn the kill switch off the starter motor is STILL turning. 

Is the starter motor is continuously turning while the bike is running?

My question initially as well but surely it's only when taking the switch from RUN to STOP that it happens!?  And does taking it back to the RUN position then stop the starter motor from running?  Anyway, only KennyA can answer that for sure I guess.

• Supporting Member

Yes,starter motor is running continuously,and to stop it you have to turn engine off at key. Going from Run to Stop and back to Run doesn't stop the starter motor. I first started bike and after 2/3 minutes,I hit the kill switch only to hear starter motor still turning. Felt starter motor,and it was pretty warm. Could have been much worse if I hadn't  stopped engine. When key is switched back on,everything is o.k. (until you hit the start button).

Will find out what dealer and Yamaha do about it and report back.

Kenny.

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

3 hours ago, Kenny A. said:

Yes,starter motor is running continuously,and to stop it you have to turn engine off at key. Going from Run to Stop and back to Run doesn't stop the starter motor. I first started bike and after 2/3 minutes,I hit the kill switch only to hear starter motor still turning. Felt starter motor,and it was pretty warm. Could have been much worse if I hadn't  stopped engine. When key is switched back on,everything is o.k. (until you hit the start button).

Will find out what dealer and Yamaha do about it and report back.

Kenny.

This is an interesting one. I (as I suspect a lot of people do) never use the kill switch so there is a good chance people will never idenfify it

How many riders never use the kill switch to stop the engine instead of just turning off the ignition by the key. When I was at college doing an evening class in motorcycle engineering this was a must by using the kill switch instead of the just using the key as this can bring on a number of faults within the ignition system, the kill switch is easier to get to than the key, especially on the Tracer 900

1 hour ago, littlebruv said:

How many riders never use the kill switch to stop the engine instead of just turning off the ignition by the key. When I was at college doing an evening class in motorcycle engineering this was a must by using the kill switch instead of the just using the key as this can bring on a number of faults within the ignition system, the kill switch is easier to get to than the key, especially on the Tracer 900

I use both the key and the kill switch at different times. Never had an issue. Just depends on the situation as to which method I use. 85% of the time key only.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I thought that there was a small pinnion gear in constant mesh with the starter ring on the flywheel and a "spragg clutch" connected and engaged the starter motor and small pinnion when you turned on ignition and started the bike. Not sure if this is the correct terminology or if this is the arrangement with the Tracer this was how one of my previous bikes started.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, littlebruv said:

How many riders never use the kill switch to stop the engine instead of just turning off the ignition by the key.

I always just use the key, Ive never used the switch on any bike.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

It must depend on how you were introduced to bikes. I was taught to always used the kill switch to switch off the engine, then turn off the electrics with the key. [and then turn the fuel off under the tank, by my first instructor].

Starting is the reverse: electrics on with key, hear the pump prime, then switch onto “Run” and start the engine.

Habits.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)