Any epic road trips planned for 2020?

betoney

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, Willie17FJ-09 said:

I will be coming from the Snohomish, Wa area. I have not riden in this area. I’ll have to take it easy, especially in a group ride. I’ll be doing some light off-road. I have had it out on gravel/dirt  roads and it does great 

OK, so you are familiar with the area then, I thought you were coming from out of state.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I havent made any epic bike trip plans for the FJ yet. However, I did rent a Honda XR150 this winter and spent a month exploring Vietnam. I rode from Hanoi to Saigon and then onward to the Mekong Delta region. Shout-out to Tigitmotorbikes.com for making it possible.

20191221_103644.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, Dark&Stormy said:

I havent made any epic bike trip plans for the FJ yet. However, I did rent a Honda XR150 this winter and spent a month exploring Vietnam. I rode from Hanoi to Saigon and then onward to the Mekong Delta region. Shout-out to Tigitmotorbikes.com for making it possible.

20191221_103644.jpg

That truly is awesome!! 👍

• Thanks 1

I was pretty close with my 5000km estimate. Got back on 5082km! Certainly was epic. Great roads, amazing scenery and the bike was brilliant. I'm so pleased with it, it really ticks all the boxes for me.

Britten was in a bike gallery in Invercargill. I'll throw a couple more pics up, it's only letting me put two up at a time.

20200131_120001r.jpg

20200126_122412r.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

Can't upload any more pics. Am I only allowed 1Mb total (mods)? Maybe because I don't have many posts?

Just edited and I was able to add more photos. Maybe I did something wrong? Anyway here's a couple more:

Ohau2r.jpg

20200124125113r.jpg

Edited by Manxkiwi
Added images.
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Not much different than last years but to new and exciting places all over.  Last year I got 20K miles out of the planned 24K.  These are planned rides with my usual riding buddies.   So here it is:

- March RCMC OR 250 ride: 3/15: Club test ride,  maybe two of these.  RCMC is Rose City Motorcycle Club. Cancelled COVID19 Fear.

- March-April Vancouver-Austin TX Moto GP, 5,400 Arizona 3838 mile ride: 3/31-4/11 MotoGP Canceled, COVID19 Cautiousness.

- May RCMC OR 500 ride: 5/9, Club Ride open to public  

- May California Ride, 1,600 miles, Wed, 5/13/20 - Fri, 5/22 : Round-about ride including Hwy 1 going South, maybe some easterly route through Cedarville, CA coming home: Including the Hangtown Motocross races on Sat, 5/16 near Rancho Cordoba, CA

- June Bundok 1000 Ride: 6/6-6/7, Come join us at John Day Oregon Sat. evening.  Make it a RTE as that is what it really is.

- June Washington Ride, 1,600 miles: Wed, 6/24 - Thurs, 7/2: Including the Moto America motorcycle races in Shelton, WA on Sat, 6/27 Then some mountains to cross.

- July California Canyons/Laguna Ride:  1,800 miles.  Wed, 7/8 - Mon, 7/20 (?): Including Laguna Seca Moto America races Stay in Marina, CA for two days.  I will scoot after Laguna and head home.

- August Montana Ride, 3,600-4,000 miles: Wed, 8/5 – Tues, 8/18. Including Red Lodge, Bear Tooth Pass. 

- August Utah Ride, 2,000 miles: Wed, 8/26 - Thurs, 9/3:  Including the Salt Flats AMA Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials in Wendover, UT.

- September Oregon Ride, 2,000 miles: Wed, 9/23 - Tues, 9/29, final pick up of Grand Tour checkpoints in Oregon not covered by other rides.

- October Baja Mexico/Southwest Ride, 2,800 or 4,800 miles: Wed, 10/7 - Fri, 10/24

• Thumbsup 1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

On 1/7/2020 at 2:52 PM, keithu said:

I'm riding the Butt Lite Rally in July. The start/finish is in Kansas City, so I need to ride there from Oregon and then home again. I don't know where the rally will take me, I just know it's six days long and there is a checkpoint halfway through in South Dakota. I expect to ride 4000-6000 miles during the six days of the rally, so should be an "epic" ride for me. 

Have you done a lot of rallies on the FJ-09/Tracer before?  Thinking of swapping from FJR to my FJ-09 but I worry about the fuel range. Do you use an aux tank?  Be great if you could start a thread on LD riding the FJ-09/TracerGT. 

Edited by Guest

On 1/7/2020 at 7:58 PM, angusmcoz said:

I'm not sure if you would call it epic but May 31 I'll be attempting 6000 mile s in six days at the age of 60. Had this planned for the last three years. Should be a lot easier when my seat comes in from Terry's. I'll be taking my Tracer GT and heading south west to Texas then west leaving from North East Ohio. See y'all on the road. P.S. Co-pilot is Reggie

Reggie.jpg

That will be a blast. You may have done a lot more LD riding than me so I’m not going to offer much input.  My only advice is to put a few extra miles on early. Day 3 always seems the hardest and after that you’re halfway there. If you have a few extra miles in the bank it always reduces the stress level. 

The plan was to do a 48/10 and try to do it in under 7 days in June. Then the opportunity to ride Beartooth Pass Red Lodge area for 5 days in July came up so for sure I am doing that and currently am rescheduling  the 48/10. Thinking of late May or early Sept. Probably be Sept but either way I’m goin for sure.  Big problem having to reschedule 1 motorcycle trip for another!😊

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, donk said:

The plan was to do a 48/10 and try to do it in under 7 days in June. Then the opportunity to ride Beartooth Pass Red Lodge area for 5 days in July came up so for sure I am doing that and currently am rescheduling  the 48/10. Thinking of late May or early Sept. Probably be Sept but either way I’m goin for sure.  Big problem having to reschedule 1 motorcycle trip for another!😊

5 days in the Red Lodge area or 5 days total for the trip?  There are a lot of beautiful areas to ride in that region.

We rode Beartooth Pass 2 years ago, Chief Joseph Highway into Cody and through the Bighorn Mountains.  Then returning back across Wyoming through Ten Sleep Canyon, Shoshoni and The Tetons. 

If you are coming from Wisconsin, you get to ride through Black Hills SD as well.  👍

9 hours ago, donk said:

That will be a blast. You may have done a lot more LD riding than me so I’m not going to offer much input.  My only advice is to put a few extra miles on early. Day 3 always seems the hardest and after that you’re halfway there. If you have a few extra miles in the bank it always reduces the stress level. 

I have a tentative route laid out but if history holds true I can be easily  SQUIRREL! distracted. Most of my bike rides start with a direction. Coming from an FJR to the Tracer GT I find I miss the 6.6 gallon gas tank. With that in mind, I built a new case mount for the back with a mount inside for a 1 gallon Rotopax. As with most of the other mods I've made this is an untested prototype. Rode 5,300 miles last summer across Route 2 to Glacier Park, up to Waterton Park, then down to Lolo, MT for Route 93 to Challis, ID and back home VIA Route 2. On that ride I wished for a larger tank more than once.

Base.jpg

Case.jpg

Can.jpg

Can mount.jpg

trip.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 2:19 AM, Manxkiwi said:

I was pretty close with my 5000km estimate. Got back on 5082km! Certainly was epic. Great roads, amazing scenery and the bike was brilliant. I'm so pleased with it, it really ticks all the boxes for me.

Britten was in a bike gallery in Invercargill. I'll throw a couple more pics up, it's only letting me put two up at a time.

20200131_120001r.jpg

20200126_122412r.jpg

Two great pics of NZ at it's best... superb.  Few years back I saw Bruce Anstey wheeling the Britten at Jurby iom, just before he broke it, oops. Incidentally,  what's the latest news on Bruce, I know he's been very poorly.