Any epic road trips planned for 2020?

betoney

• Premium Member

April Hopefully. 

Get to Murfreesboro Tn. Meet up with the oldest son. 

Natchez Trace to Natchez Ms - 2 days

Natchez to Memphis Tn up "The Great River Road"

Out to Corinth Ms  Lake Hill motors and Marine has a small museum  that is worth seeing. So I hear. @crash

If time allows Barber. :)

Screenshot (47).png

• Thumbsup 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

If time allows Barber. :)

Allow a full day.  :)  

Whether that’s an acceptable tradeoff during a motorcycle road trip is 100% up to you, but it’s definitely worth going at some point.   Amazing place... words & pictures don’t do it justice.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Allow a full day.  :)  

Whether that’s an acceptable tradeoff during a motorcycle road trip is 100% up to you, but it’s definitely worth going at some point.   Amazing place... words & pictures don’t do it justice.  

I've been there before. My son hasn't.  I'm semi-retired so time isn't an issue. It all depends on him getting the time off. 😎

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 2 weeks later...

I'm strongly considering going to Atlanta on Thursday of next week to visit some friends since work is closed. I specifically got the FJ for some longer touring but this would be my longest trip by a large margin. It's about 8.5 hours by car and 500 miles one way. I'd return on Sunday. I think i just need someone to tell me to go but it's going to be a long trip. 

After that, a small weekend trip through WVA in April with some camping. I'm a hammock camper and lightweight backpacker so hopefully I can combine my two hobbies and they complement each other well. 

I'd like to do a longer trip but I'm thinking of becoming a MSF Ridercoach and would use my weeks vacation to get certified for that instead. 

ALSO want to do the BMW off road course weekend in North Carolina this year. Too many options!

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, Hyena said:

I'm strongly considering going to Atlanta on Thursday of next week to visit some friends since work is closed. I specifically got the FJ for some longer touring but this would be my longest trip by a large margin. It's about 8.5 hours by car and 500 miles one way. I'd return on Sunday. I think i just need someone to tell me to go but it's going to be a long trip. 

After that, a small weekend trip through WVA in April with some camping. I'm a hammock camper and lightweight backpacker so hopefully I can combine my two hobbies and they complement each other well. 

I'd like to do a longer trip but I'm thinking of becoming a MSF Ridercoach and would use my weeks vacation to get certified for that instead. 

ALSO want to do the BMW off road course weekend in North Carolina this year. Too many options!

Check the weathers, get on the bike and go.  Dress warm if you’re going to be in the Blue Ridge mornings are still chilly. It will be a great trip  Just Go!

4 hours ago, donk said:

Check the weathers, get on the bike and go.  Dress warm if you’re going to be in the Blue Ridge mornings are still chilly. It will be a great trip  Just Go!

i need more enablers like you around. i think I just might. Got my goretex A* boots in so i'm ready gear wise!

Yes, have my annual tour planned with my mates planned for late July. Have no idea where we are going. 

Our normal approach is book ferries (already done), get on ferry, grab a beer, sit down and look at weather forecast. Decide where to head, book first night hotel (make sure it has secure bike parking) whilst we have mobile phone signal. Then take things from there. 

Works well for us. Last year, 6 countries (France, Germany, Litchenstein, Austria, Switzerland, Italy in 4 days, 2000 miles. 

This year we have an ambition to head to Pyrenees, but we will see. 

• Like 1

• redfjniner changed the title to Any epic road trips planned for 2020?
  • Premium Member
On 3/5/2020 at 12:34 PM, Rusianguyovich said:

After a few attempts getting cancelled finally heading up to Alaska from Idaho this may. Still debating on the run up the Dalton or not but heavily leaving toward yes if time permits.

You probably know this, but there is still a high risk of winter weather in May. I drove (in a cage) from Anchorage to Oregon in mid-May about 15 years ago, and we encountered snow pretty much the whole way from Watson Lake to Dawson Creek. It was a beautiful drive, but the conditions were no bueno for motorcycling.

On 3/29/2020 at 9:49 AM, keithu said:

You probably know this, but there is still a high risk of winter weather in May. I drove (in a cage) from Anchorage to Oregon in mid-May about 15 years ago, and we encountered snow pretty much the whole way from Watson Lake to Dawson Creek. It was a beautiful drive, but the conditions were no bueno for motorcycling.

Unfortunately it was just the only time that was going to work for both of us. We are used to shit conditions but also flexible to turn the ride into something else if need be. Either way it's definitely not happening now with this covid going on. My riding buddy got stuck on deployment in France so we'll have to try again for next year. 

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, Rusianguyovich said:

we'll have to try again for next year. 

That sucks, sorry to hear that.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 1:44 PM, hlmiskelly said:

Nothing epic, just a few overnight trips, the first to the Georgia Guidestones near Elberton, Georgia, and the second to Robert Johnson's supposed grave in Greenville, Mississippi (with stops at Elvis Presley's birthplace and William Faulkner's home).  These are two sites that have long been on my things to see.

Geogia Guidestones.JPG

Robert Johnson Grave MS.JPG

decent ride

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Odyssey 2020.

SE TN to the UP of Michigan to meet up with an old friend. Turn west til Idaho then across Wyoming and South Dakota. After that we're riding to Racine WI to eat pizza with my buddy's 80 year old mom them head home.

• Like 2

Let’s go Brandon