Any epic road trips planned for 2020?

betoney

• Premium Member
On 1/7/2020 at 7:54 PM, limpy88 said:

With my second child on the way, I only got time for two 4 day weekends this year. So one bike and one kayak fishing trip. Probably the dragon since I have family close for free lodging. And I can travel light with out camping gear. 

Congrats and good luck. 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, HGP61 said:

Extra gear needed to cope with the Scottish "Midge"

DSCN0892.JPG

Is the "Extra Gear" the mosquito net helmets or the alcohol?  😎👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, betoney said:

@keithu - Thanks for taking the time to provide that explanation.  Aside from riding consecutive 1,000 mile days, a multi-day, multi-state scavenger hunt-type ride sounds like a lot of fun, especially the random "bonuses" and having part of it a mystery until you start.  It sounds like a very unique adventure. 👍

That's what I really enjoy about these events. Every time I've ridden a rally I've gone to new places and ridden new roads that I might never have explored on my own. I've hiked deep into caves, kayaked in Lake Tahoe, watched the sun rise over Tioga Pass, and had countless other unforgettable experiences.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, keithu said:

That's what I really enjoy about these events. Every time I've ridden a rally I've gone to new places and ridden new roads that I might never have explored on my own. I've hiked deep into caves, kayaked in Lake Tahoe, watched the sun rise over Tioga Pass, and had countless other unforgettable experiences.

And that is worth its weight in gold.  I look at it like "I'm not getting any younger and there is way too much out there that I haven't seen".

Last year alone, I rode Sonora Pass, had breakfast at historic "Alice's Restaurant", rode the Golden Gate Bridge, Napa, Mount Shasta, the Oregon Coast, Escalante and Moab, Utah and the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado - All that I had never done before on a bike.

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

Planning on:

Toronto to Seattle through the US.

Up to BC and back to Toronto via western Canada.

Something like 8500kms round trip.

Looking at two weeks, leaving Canada long weekend.  No camping to cut down on weight, but then my costs go up, which I will deal with.

• Thumbsup 5
Cheers!

I'm starting out in May for an extended weekend trip to Kamiah, Idaho for the Bun Cooler rally.  Great riders, great partiers when they get off the road.  

In the beginning of June, I'm headed south with some riders from British Columbia to central Oregon and Northern California.  They know some of the best twisty little traveled roads in those areas.

Then mid-month, I'm headed to Eastern Washington to NEWSTOC for an extended weekend of riding and great fellowship.

Starting on the 15th and going for a week, is the Concours National Rally in Vancouver, WA.

Then I have a decision to make.  At the end of the month is the ST-Owners National Rally in South Dakota and the BMW MOA rally in Montana.

Somewhere in there, I'll need to change tires...

And in the beginning of July, I'm headed to Siberia...

Chris

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, daboo said:

I'm starting out in May for an extended weekend trip to Kamiah, Idaho for the Bun Cooler rally.  Great riders, great partiers when they get off the road.  

In the beginning of June, I'm headed south with some riders from British Columbia to central Oregon and Northern California.  They know some of the best twisty little traveled roads in those areas.

Then mid-month, I'm headed to Eastern Washington to NEWSTOC for an extended weekend of riding and great fellowship.

Starting on the 15th and going for a week, is the Concours National Rally in Vancouver, WA.

Then I have a decision to make.  At the end of the month is the ST-Owners National Rally in South Dakota and the BMW MOA rally in Montana.

Somewhere in there, I'll need to change tires...

And in the beginning of July, I'm headed to Siberia...

Chris

Not one part of your Summer sounds like its going to suck. 👍  Epic riding! - Enjoy.

On 1/8/2020 at 11:13 PM, madsquabbles said:

That’s impressive and sounds like a lot of fun.  Serious miles in short amount of time.  I feel like a road warrior doing 6000 in a couple of weeks.  You are taking me to school.  Keep us posted. 

We all ride for the freedom that the road offers us. If it's 100 miles or a 1000 miles it's all the same. I'll start posting my bike mods in the what have you done for your bike today section.

• Thumbsup 2

I started looking to see what I could feasibly do this summer.  It adds up to @14,400 miles.  And a tire change in the middle somewhere.

• April - COG ride in Death Valley
  • May - COG Bun Cooler in Idaho
  • June - B.C. Rally to venture into Northern California and central Oregon
  • June - NEWSTOC in Seven Bays, WA
  • June - National COG rally in Vancouver, WA
  • June - National STOC rally in Spearfish, SD
  • July - Siberia (not taking the motorcycle though)
  • August - WeSTOC in Utah
  • September - COG Ride the Ribbon in Central Oregon

The "COG" is the Kawasaki Concours Owners Group.  The STOC events are with the ST-Owners Group.  Both are hard riders, and wonderful people when you're hanging around with them.  For some reason, they let a BMW rider tag along...

The B.C. group are primarily Concours C14 riders, but they take their version of hard riding up another couple notches.  Each summer, they drop down into the US and head for central Oregon and Northern California for some wonderful mountain riding.

I had to skip some other rides, like the BMW MOA national rally and the Sounders! Rally in the Gorge because of conflicts.

And the wife hasn't seen this yet, so it may be up for change...  ;)

Chris

Edited by daboo
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
59 minutes ago, daboo said:

I started looking to see what I could feasibly do this summer.  It adds up to @14,400 miles.  And a tire change in the middle somewhere.

• April - COG ride in Death Valley
  • May - COG Bun Cooler in Idaho
  • June - B.C. Rally to venture into Northern California and central Oregon
  • June - NEWSTOC in Seven Bays, WA
  • June - National COG rally in Vancouver, WA
  • June - National STOC rally in Spearfish, SD
  • July - Siberia (not taking the motorcycle though)
  • August - WeSTOC in Utah
  • September - COG Ride the Ribbon in Central Oregon

The "COG" is the Kawasaki Concours Owners Group.  The STOC events are with the ST-Owners Group.  Both are hard riders, and wonderful people when you're hanging around with them.  For some reason, they let a BMW rider tag along...

The B.C. group are primarily Concours C14 riders, but they take their version of hard riding up another couple notches.  Each summer, they drop down into the US and head for central Oregon and Northern California for some wonderful mountain riding.

I had to skip some other rides, like the BMW MOA national rally and the Sounders! Rally in the Gorge because of conflicts.

And the wife hasn't seen this yet, so it may be up for change...  ;)

Chris

That sounds AWESOME!  Make the most out of the PNW's somewhat limited riding season. 👍

Yes, we have some of the most awesome scenery...though I find the Canadian Rockies and Beartooth Pass to be right up there.  But the problem with all three, is the limited season.

On another forum, a member decided to come out and visit.  He was a doctor from New Jersey.  He went with one of us from the area to Mt. St. Helens.  There's a picture of the two of them stopped on the way there.  The fog was so thick, they turned around.  Snow all around them.  It was a wasted trip for the doctor.

So you make the best you can of it, and dress for everything.  With mountain passes, you can encounter just about anything.

Chris

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, daboo said:

So you make the best you can of it, and dress for everything.  With mountain passes, you can encounter just about anything.

Agreed.  On my trip through Utah/Colorado/Wyoming/Idaho this past September we encountered 100F+ in Moab, heavy hail and rain in the Colorado Rockies, torrential monsoon-level rain riding up through Flaming Gorge area into Wyoming and bitter cold freezing fog crossing the Sawtooth Range outside Stanley Idaho.  Not being prepared could have definitely ruined the 10-day ride.

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, daboo said:

We should get together sometime.  Looks like you like the same kind of riding I do, and you don't live that far away.

Chris

Sounds good.  I am currently recovering from an injury to my arm, hope to be back on the bike by Spring.