Lean angle - how low can you go?!

• Supporting Member

Loaded up the Yamaha 'My Ride' app today just to see what the data might show me. I'm no boy racer - in fact not even close to being a boy anymore let alone a racer, but was interested to get some feedback on what my maximum lean angle (as reported from the app) tells me from a safety point of view.  The app reported 38 degrees max lean for my ride which surprised me?!

I like to ride and have some fun with it - who doesn't! but am mindful that I'm not made of titanium like I was in my 20's.  I've never scraped a feeler, although I did replace my pegs with third party ones that have a little stubby feeler some years ago. I'm getting near to the edge of my rear tire in wear (not a competition mind you) but feel like I'm near the deck at my maximum (comfortable) lean.  These things are of course subjective as evidenced by the likes of Marc Marquez whose body has been regularly and literally on the deck when in a corner!!!  How does he do that!!! 😮

What are your experiences with this?

P.S. Almost ready for some Michelin Road 5s which, by all reports, might allow me to lean past 90deg! 😄

3.thumb.jpg.ad542d604c9793ebdf0581f62f237785.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.5a9f52dbdccc90165360dc37716c8b27.jpg

You sound a lot like me, having gracefully surrendered to the fact that your youth has long left but you still enjoy a bit of adrenaline inducing riding as long as it does not get too crazy.  

The stock tires on this bike are not too bad but the Road 5's, or any other sport touring tire from one of the major brands, will perform better and inspire a bit more confidence in the corners.  

Cheers mate. ☺️

• Thanks 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Loaded up the Yamaha 'My Ride' app today just to see what the data might show me.

What are your experiences with this?

I have only used the app a handful of times, its kind of fun with a lot of ride data.

image.thumb.png.c9788a8eb8349730560d4d91b8c88468.png

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

You sound a lot like me, having gracefully surrendered to the fact that your youth has long left but you still enjoy a bit of adrenaline inducing riding as long as it does not get too crazy.  

Cheers mate. ☺️

@johnmark101 - Ha! Exactly that!  Might be getting old(er), but not quite finished with life yet.  😁

And cheers to you too mate. 😊👍

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, bugie said:

You can take it right to the edge without any issue. The feelers (followed by Center stand) will hit before you go over the edge of the tyre as a warning

{E57AEB3A-C3F5-4456-857B-FB1622C0906B}.png.jpg

@bugie - Thanks for the tip but I think I'll have to concede that you have bigger b$$lls than me!  I've seen a few of your posts where there's a fireworks display going on under your bike in a corner!

I think if I ever do get a peg on the ground it will be a sphincter clenching experience or worse, a brown trousers moment! 😲

Having said all that it is comforting to know that there is room for more lean and still be safe - all other factors (suspension, conditions, road surface, rider ability, etc) being equal of course.

Thanks for the response.🙂

• Supporting Member
On 1/11/2020 at 1:45 AM, betoney said:

I have only used the app a handful of times, its kind of fun with a lot of ride data.

image.thumb.png.c9788a8eb8349730560d4d91b8c88468.png

@betoney -Yes, I don't know how accurate the data is but like you say, it's kind of fun to check out the data afterwards.

I start it and let it run in the background while I use my Nav app in front while listening to some tunes on occassions.  They all seem to play nicely together with my Sena?!  So happy days!

Cheers.

• Supporting Member

@dazzler24- I haven’t tried the Yamaha My Ride app, but I have been using EatSleepRIDE (ESR) for several years.   Similar concept, with some interesting ride tracking and stats.  You can scroll to any part of the ride, and see exact location, speed, lean angles, etc.   

These are a few samples from a recent ride.   I’ll typically see a bit less lean angle as the ground speeds increase, which does make sense (speed is the number in the blue circle; lean angle the bottom number in the column of stats): 

1E47D5DA-C053-451E-98DF-E32CF575690D.thumb.jpeg.9ab51088c5b46af939ccf06c0ac55df8.jpeg

5E3856BA-D278-4D24-8306-ACFC5B0CF026.thumb.jpeg.12d85c9a2fa133731eb3f213a3199120.jpeg

4522A891-A864-4BFF-927A-C7A6A2878FF0.thumb.jpeg.c0f6eb2337b39433b85defe71700bc41.jpeg

BEFC5125-308F-42CA-9A40-E5A4B0A342E0.thumb.jpeg.dc045bd32205c201911d81309df36087.jpeg

726C3AAF-5363-4D5A-98B8-6435BBD8EA2F.thumb.jpeg.20a73db16bc2638af8725249492d1142.jpeg

Depending on how aggressively I’m riding, I’ll occasionally see lean angle numbers up close to 50 degrees.    I’m kind of a momentum rider, and I don’t like to hang off on the street, so I tend to carry a fair amount of mid-corner speed and lean angle.   The FJ (with upgraded suspension components) is always an eager companion.  

As a side note, I aligned this ESR data log with GoPro video footage shot by one of my riding buddies who was following me, and it was surprisingly accurate... probably +/- 1 or 2 degrees at any point in time, best as we could determine.  For a free app from the Apple Store, I was actually impressed with the precision.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, texscottyd said:

@dazzler24- I haven’t tried the Yamaha My Ride app, but I have been using EatSleepRIDE (ESR) for several years.   Similar concept, with some interesting ride tracking and stats.  You can scroll to any part of the ride, and see exact location, speed, lean angles, etc.   

These are a few samples from a recent ride.   I’ll typically see a bit less lean angle as the ground speeds increase, which does make sense (speed is the number in the blue circle; lean angle the bottom number in the column of stats): 

Depending on how aggressively I’m riding, I’ll occasionally see lean angle numbers up close to 50 degrees.    I’m kind of a momentum rider, and I don’t like to hang off on the street, so I tend to carry a fair amount of mid-corner speed and lean angle.   The FJ (with upgraded suspension components) is always an eager companion.  

As a side note, I aligned this ESR data log with GoPro video footage shot by one of my riding buddies who was following me, and it was surprisingly accurate... probably +/- 1 or 2 degrees at any point in time, best as we could determine.  For a free app from the Apple Store, I was actually impressed with the precision.  

Interesting app.  I don't move around too much - head and shoulders at best i.e. top half of my body will get over to the side which I'm leaning to but bum stays planted.

You've got some serious speed and lean in those examples @texscottyd !!  Respect.👋

Speaking of GoPro footage and lean, I've got a ZhiYun Rider-M gimbal (no longer produced) that I have had mounted on various parts of the bike and because of the gimbal effect it really highlights how far you lean!  You would produce some pretty good footage with those stats mentioned above!  Especially when mounted low on the bike. 🙂

Cheers.

• Thumbsup 1