Lean angle - how low can you go?!

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, coachluciano said:

Ride with GPS is a cycling app I believe - MyRide is what @texscottydwas showing above.  I just loaded it myself, but have to wait till spring to give it a try

Ride with GPS is primarily a bicycling (or if you want to be more niche, a bikepacking/bike touring) app. I prefer it to Strava. I do use it for route planning anytime I'm on 2 wheels because I prefer it to Basecamp. It doesn't do the lean angle stuff that the Yamaha app does. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so now I need some help and I think this is the right thread. Why am I scraping up my center stand before my peg feelers touch down? Photos show how much stand I've lost, and clearly there's lots of edge left on my rubber so I should be able to go much lower. I'm riding 1 up, minimal gear in panniers, and I'm under 200lbs (88kg). 2018 Tracer 900GT.

received_141705410252420.jpeg

received_889275904839828.jpeg

received_926451084459867.jpeg

Remove peg feelers...

Trim rubber stop pad on center stand to allow it to ride higher...

Using chicken strips to judge how low you lean is somewhat counterproductive... 

Check tire/suspension setup... at 200# the factory suspension is overloaded... sadly Yamaha uses a 130# test rider when the avg rider seems to be 230# or more...

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member

Hi @ChukMcChuk - Unless the centerstand on your bike doesn’t retract as far as the typical FJ/Tracer, that is a puzzling one.  With the stock suspension on my 2015 FJ, the peg feelers touched down early..  well before the centerstand made contact.   After removing the peg feelers, I trimmed down the rubber stopper for the centerstand to get it tucked a bit farther up out of the way...  the centerstand would still touch down periodically on the right, but overall not too much of a problem.   

Does it actually drag in steady-state cornering, or just bang down momentarily over bumps?   It sounds like the rear is way too low, or packing way down on the springs and limiting ground clearance.  Have you tried dialing in more preload on the shock?  Simple test that might point you in the right direction...  

-Scott 

I have the same bike and the peg hits a lot earlier than the centrestand. I also weigh 95kg. As said earlier check your compression and preload. The bike might be sitting lower and bottoming up causing the centrestand to hit before the pegs

Screenshot_20200211-095006.jpg

• Premium Member

K-Tech Razor-R with +3~4 mm ride height & revalved forks with .95 straight date springs, rubber covered pegs raise the toes (with very short curb feelerz), Stomp Grips on thigh panels and tank, trim the CS stop, hang off more, rounder profile doughnuts....

2 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Also I kinda suspect some ppl are unknowingly pushing the center stand down with the heel of foot... 

I think you'd know that is happening because it would push your foot up, and, you'll feel vibration through the boot much like you do with the foot peg.

Also, the pic posted by @ChukMcChuk is on the opposite side of the centrestand lever 😜 

Edited by bugie

40 minutes ago, bugie said:

I think you'd know that is happening because it would push your foot up, and, you'll feel vibration through the boot much like you do with the foot peg.

Also, the pic posted by @ChukMcChuk is on the opposite side of the centrestand lever 😜 

Good to know...it was just something I thought of, I'm guilty of pushing down on it when just cruising along the freeway, but haven't yet cornering...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Hey awesome people! Thanks for the feedback and ideas on my center stand scraping. I always keep tire pressure in spec, but I was already thinking that it might be a suspension problem. It seems like the scraping happens mostly when I'm already somewhat leaned over and go over a moderate bump. The original owner had it for 8 months and put 3,000 kms on it before I bought it, so I wonder if he did something to soften it too much. I had the rear preload in the middle position, but I just put it to maximum hard last night to see how it does. That said, I don't think I should have to be riding 1-up with max preload, so I need to educate myself on how to properly set-up the suspension (since my fancy new Tracer GT has fully adjustable suspension anyway). Let me know If anybody has any good links on how to set up suspension properly, otherwise I'll do some research this weekend. THANKS!

I think adjusting the front suspension is more critical than the back to be honest. At 95kg I currently have the front at full preload and rear around midway. Am not at the correct sag but it's as close as I can get (iirc around 50cm)