Hola from New Mexico!

Velvet

Hello everyone,

I will be taking delivery of a new 2019 Tracer 900 GT sometime in the next few days and it seemed like a good idea to join this forum.  I am looking forward to gaining knowledge and sharing my experiences concerning this wonderful machine.  The Yamaha CP3 has intrigued me since its introduction, and after countless demo rides on the GT, I finally pulled the trigger. 

I live the mountains of southwest New Mexico and I have a decent amount of twisty roads at my disposal both here and in eastern Arizona. I'm sure that the GT will exceed my expectations when taking full advantage of these mountain byways!

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, Velvet said:

The Yamaha CP3 has intrigued me since its introduction, and after countless demo rides on the GT, I finally pulled the trigger. 

I live the mountains of southwest New Mexico and I have a decent amount of twisty roads at my disposal both here and in eastern Arizona. I'm sure that the GT will exceed my expectations when taking full advantage of these mountain byways!

Welcome.  The FJ/ Tracer is a great bike as its big enough to feel comfortable on long road trips on the highways but small enough to be light and nimble in the twisty mountain and canyon roads. - I do a lot of both.

The GT comes very well equipped from the factory, most of the personalization you might need to do will likely be comfort and ergonomics.  I would highly recommend a radiator guard right away, the rest is all personal preference.

I have wanted to venture down that way for years, specifically Gila National Forest and SE Arizona, the riding looks fantastic.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thank you for your input, Betoney.  Yes, a radiator guard is first on the list for accessories.  Not having a guard on a bike here in the southwest can make you learn the hard way.  I'm interested to see how the stock seat works out for me.  That could be something that I'll change.  Oh, and those turn signals...those are something that I'll have to work on.

I have been up in your area twice on my Super Tenere while visiting family in Bremerton.  I really like the PNW and its a place where I could certainly live   Definitely come down to my area sometime, I don't think that you would be disappointed.  I live on the bottom end of the Gila National Forest.  There is also a lot of great off-road riding to be done down here as well.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Velvet said:

Hello everyone,

I will be taking delivery of a new 2019 Tracer 900 GT sometime in the next few days and it seemed like a good idea to join this forum.  I am looking forward to gaining knowledge and sharing my experiences concerning this wonderful machine.  The Yamaha CP3 has intrigued me since its introduction, and after countless demo rides on the GT, I finally pulled the trigger. 

Never been on 666, but bet it's a hoot.

• Thumbsup 1

43 minutes ago, Coop said:

Never been on 666, but bet it's a hoot.

Yes, it definitely is a hoot!  The 90 mile section of old US 666 (now US 191) from Alpine AZ to Morenci AZ is really awesome though you have to be careful of the deer and elk.  The elevation drops from 8000' in Alpine to 4,700' in Morenci. 

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

Welcome @Velvet!   You’re in the middle of some amazing riding:  I still vividly remember riding 666 from the south up to Alpine, staying at a little hotel for the night, and then heading east into the Gila National Forest...  a stunning part of the country.   I didn’t realize Alpine was at 8,000 feet elevation, but it explains why I felt like I was climbing the entire ride north.  

Congrats on the new Tracer.  You’re going to love it.  

-Scott 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Welcome @Velvet!   You’re in the middle of some amazing riding:  I still vividly remember riding 666 from the south up to Alpine, staying at a little hotel for the night, and then heading east into the Gila National Forest...  a stunning part of the country.   I didn’t realize Alpine was at 8,000 feet elevation, but it explains why I felt like I was climbing the entire ride north.  

Congrats on the new Tracer.  You’re going to love it.  

-Scott 

Thanks, Scott!  I'm heading to San Antonio tomorrow afternoon to pick up the bike.  I'm so looking forward to getting it.  

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, Velvet said:

Thanks, Scott!  I'm heading to San Antonio tomorrow afternoon to pick up the bike.  I'm so looking forward to getting it.  

Is this a ‘fly and ride’ trip, or is it coming home with you via truck/trailer?   

Coincidentally, the time I rode 666 was the reverse direction of your trip:  I flew to Phoenix to pick up a VFR750, and rode it back to Houston via the most interesting routes I could find on the map.  Good times, other than a surprise late-spring snowstorm in west Texas...  

On 1/16/2020 at 10:41 AM, texscottyd said:

Is this a ‘fly and ride’ trip, or is it coming home with you via truck/trailer?   

Coincidentally, the time I rode 666 was the reverse direction of your trip:  I flew to Phoenix to pick up a VFR750, and rode it back to Houston via the most interesting routes I could find on the map.  Good times, other than a surprise late-spring snowstorm in west Texas...  

Scott,

Unfortunately it was better to just pick it up in the truck.  In fact I'm glad that I did because there was very heavy rain in the area on Friday.  The dealer was not in San Antonio like I had first indicated in my post, it is in Kerrville.  Destination Cycle.  Pretty good people to deal with overall.  I would deal with them again.

Here are some pics of my bike.  Loaded and ready to go and at its new home in White Signal, NM.

Patrick

20200117_165810.jpg

20200118_133841.jpg

Edited by Velvet
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, banderso said:

Welcome @Velvet

Hoping you have a great time with the new bike!

See ya

bill

Thank you, Bill!!   I am very excited to get out and ride it sometime next week.  It's relatively nice outside today but I have to work on my neighbors truck.  😞

Patrick

• Supporting Member

@Velvetyour going to love your new GT. Put a couple of hundred miles on the bike and get your suspension set up for your weight and riding style, the stock suspension is not that bad. But remember the biggest bang for the buck is the suspension work and braided brake lines👍

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

@Velvetyour going to love your new GT. Put a couple of hundred miles on the bike and get your suspension set up for your weight and riding style, the stock suspension is not that bad. But remember the biggest bang for the buck is the suspension work and braided brake lines👍

I appreciate the info.  I'll get out this week and put some miles on it to get a good feel of how it brakes and handles.  

Patrick

I brought my FJ-09 home yesterday to Albuquerque, thought it was funny to see this post.  I had a 940 mile roundtrip day, driving to Kingman, Arizona to pick it up.  Looking forward to doing some longer rides including to check out old 666. I just moved here a week ago so I have no New Mexico miles yet.