My Annual Winter Rant

I woke up this morning all excited. Last week I installed a K-Tech rear shock on my new MT10. Tuesday I dropped it off at the shop to do new front springs (no cartridges). The front forks are pretty good so it was only a matter of me being a lot heavier than the bike is sprung for. I headed over to the shop to do the setup and then take the bike home.  All went well except for the weather. It was only 20 degrees out. On a side note, last weekend I took a shot at setting the sag up with my GF helping. My suspension guy measured up the rear and turned to me and said it was perfect. I was kinda proud of myself. I put on my cold weather gear and headed home. I lasted about 15 minutes and my hands were frozen even with heated grips. I left the bike in the driveway and came in to warm up and fell asleep for a couple of hours. When I woke up I looked out the back door. WINTER SUCKS!!!

IMG_20200118_185744.jpg

My only regret about leaving CA is having actual winters now.. Sigh. I use winter to spend money on things other than trackdays. I don't think my wallet could handle year round riding haha!

'15 FJ09

1 hour ago, koth442 said:

My only regret about leaving CA is having actual winters now.. Sigh. I use winter to spend money on things other than trackdays. I don't think my wallet could handle year round riding haha!

This is an intervention. Stop lying to yourself and us. Your wallet would absolutely find a way to handle it. All common sense goes out the window when it comes to our motorcycles.  My wallet and I were at the bike shop yesterday and a guy came in that rode 2 hours from central New Hampshire to southern Massachusetts and it was in the mid teens. He was wearing a snowmobile suit and a wet suit top underneath. And why was he there............to spend money on motorcycle stuff. Don't pretend your any different. We know the truth.

x-1200x800.jpg

I moved back home, NW Louisiana in the spring of 2007 when I was 47. Now I'm 60 and  I've found I didn't move far enough south. At 60 I don't ride in temps less than my age. If it's under 60 I have lost the urge. I'm like a few of the older guys here. I ride for fun......not out of necessity. I do get to ride all winter except a few weeks of cold snaps. Still there is no salt on the roads here for sure.  Even in Louisiana I put heated grips on my '15 FJ, and use them! Insurance made me buy the FJ instead of at the time FZ designation. To State Farm, FZ means hooligan and FJ means Sport Touring. FZ09 = $250 and FZ10 meant $327 every 6 months. FJ = $73 every 6 months. The MT10 does look like fun!!!!  😁 I'm lucky to get 3,500 to 4,000 miles out of a rear tire with the FJ. Hate to see how many I'd go through with that. Might have to change my stock portfolio, WOOT!   

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

23 hours ago, chesterburnet said:

IMG_20200118_185744.jpg

SEASON GREETINGS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS....

FROM OUR MOTORCYCLE TO YOURS

---------------------------------------------------------

@chesterburnet -- This would be much cooler than a pic of some miserable kids, a cat, or freakin golden retriever!   Next year brother.

Edited by nhchris
  • Haha 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
On 1/18/2020 at 7:52 PM, chesterburnet said:

I woke up this morning all excited. Last week I installed a K-Tech rear shock on my new MT10. Tuesday I dropped it off at the shop to do new front springs (no cartridges). The front forks are pretty good so it was only a matter of me being a lot heavier than the bike is sprung for. I headed over to the shop to do the setup and then take the bike home.  All went well except for the weather. It was only 20 degrees out. On a side note, last weekend I took a shot at setting the sag up with my GF helping. My suspension guy measured up the rear and turned to me and said it was perfect. I was kinda proud of myself. I put on my cold weather gear and headed home. I lasted about 15 minutes and my hands were frozen even with heated grips. I left the bike in the driveway and came in to warm up and fell asleep for a couple of hours. When I woke up I looked out the back door. WINTER SUCKS!!!

IMG_20200118_185744.jpg

Crap my bike looked like that last week before I washed it. The only thing it wasn't snow it was F#@*ing rock salt, 4 hours of my life I will never get back.

• Sad 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.