Shorty vs full coverage in summer

Maverick302

This is my first bike with a windscreen of any real size. I've always had full-fairing sportbikes or nakeds. I'm 6'4 and find the stock screen intolerable over 50mph, at any height setting.

What's everyone's preference on windscreens in the summer? My thinking is a short screen would be best to keep you cool. I've never had an issue with naked bikes, supermotos, etc where I get a full blast of mostly clean air, but then again I've never experienced the full protection of a properly sized windscreen. Is the still(ish) air of a large windscreen hot in the summer? Does the comfort factor outweigh the lack of cooling? I get that it's a subjective topic, but looking to hear some opinions from the crowd.

Edited by Maverick302

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, Maverick302 said:

This is my first bike with a windscreen of any real size. I've always had full-fairing sportbikes or nakeds. I'm 6'4 and find the stock screen intolerable over 50mph, at any height setting.

What's everyone's preference on windscreens in the summer? My thinking is a short screen would be best to keep you cool. I've never had an issue with naked bikes, supermotos, etc where I get a full blast of mostly clean air, but then again I've never experienced the full protection of a properly sized windscreen.

You are correct, the windscreen is the cause of wind noise and buffeting.  My brother has a naked bike and when we swap bikes he always complains how loud the wind roar is on mine and I always comment on how smooth and quiet his is...

For summer or warmer climates a lot of riders have cut the stock screen down or bought a short sport screen so you still get a clean breeze. 

I use a modified Puig Touring screen from my previous FZ1, the top lip is about 8" above the instrument gauges, I keep it in its lowest position all year long.  I don't have helmet buffeting but there is some wind noise, I counter that with ear plugs and a relatively quiet helmet.  I could never do one of the massive barn door sized screens.  Good luck.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My experience is similar to betony's above, I started to despair of the original screen on the first run back from the dealer. It was quickly changed for a puig touring screen that I find very effective. I was thinking of cutting down the now redundant stock windscreen to cope with hot summer weather but  hailing from Bonny Scotland I might never have to bother about really hot summer weather so might not bother..

while I feel that my large puig touring screen is functional and effective I think it does look like an add-on and the original screen was more form before function Picture showes the Puig touring fitted but I thought I had a clearer picture of it. (oops, dont know why picture has rotated

Tracer screen.jpg

Edited by HGP61

I always end up going naked or barn door on my bikes. No problem with a constant blast or a calm that will let me smoke a cigarette, just can't stand turbulence. No in-between. Put the Puig touring screen on my FJ-09 in 2015. Don't really care about how it looks as I don't buy them to look at them :) 

As to whether it's better to get more air for cooling in higher temps... yes but in a range. Same as mesh gear. Once ambient > body temp you just dehydrate faster and feel like you're in front of a furnace blower such as the multiple days of 109F riding through Vegas and AZ/UT this past July (that's 42+ taps aff weather for some of ya).

So for me it's barn door all the time even in the southwest US. When I took a rental Versys on the NC500 in August two years back missed my barn door. Ymmv.

• Premium Member

Givi barn door year round because it's got the least amount of buffeting for me. Hot is hot, and I don't care if it feels like a hair dryer is blasting me or not. Like others have said, when it's really hot and dry, I close up my zippers. When it's hot and humid, strategically opening zippers for air flow under the jacket is more important than airflow past the windshield. 

I also think the Givi windshield matches the lines of the bike. I had a Laminar Lip before that. While it works decently and is a great value, it's ugly.

This is great feedback, and much appreciated. Luckily the bike I bought came with a short screen that I can try out (been cold/icy lately), but I think I've been convinced to try out a big screen. I'm thinking Madstad, because it's so adjustable, but I've heard great things about the Givi's and Calsci as well. Anyone near my height (6'4) have any experience with these?

• Supporting Member

Hi @Maverick302!   I’m a bit shorter than you are (6’1” and 230 lbs), and personally prefer a shorty screen year round.   I live in Houston, where the summers are sweltering, and I typically don’t ride if the weather is much below 50 degrees, so airflow and cooling trumps weather protection for me. I also come from a history of sport bikes and standards, so haven’t lived with touring-style windscreens in the past.  

Is yours a new GT, or a Gen 1 FJ?   On the original FJ the windscreen was a weird compromise that apparently didn’t work for anyone... amusing that Yamaha engineers could come up with something that was noticeably worse than nothing at all.   That said, here’s an easy experiment to try:   Just remove the stock screen entirely and ride it around for awhile...  you might be surprised at how pleasant it is.   If you like that experience, then steer towards a shorty screen (I have the CalSci tinted shorty on my 2015 FJ).  If it’s too breezy for you, then one of the larger full coverage screens may be best.   At 6’4”, I suspect it will have to be a big screen to get you into a nice still air pocket.  

Good luck & let us know what you decide to try.  

• Thumbsup 1

Stock screen is pretty horrible.  At any height setting the noise and buffeting was bad.  Tried the Puig sport screen and it was a huge improvement, but I did not like the look of the screen on the bike.  Switched to the MRA sport screen.  Looks nice on the bike and eliminated the buffeting and awful noise.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 5 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Was poking around in the garage and found my OEM screen.  Just for S&G, I decided to chop it down to a shorty/fly screen (I currently run the MRA sport screen in the hot months and a CalSci medium in the winter months).  The MRA is an amazing screen that produces very smooth and quiet wind, but that's just my uneducated 2 cents.

Measured up from the bottom center 11 1/2", cut straight across with a jig saw, and mitered the corners.  Scratched up the inside surface with some 120 grit and then painted it flat black. 

Took it out for a shakedown ride afterward.  First thing I noticed was the increased breeze, AND it was nice and smooth.  Liked that a lot.  Noticed that in the Low setting, the wind hit me at the chin/throat; the little screen kept the wind off my chest with room to spare.  Very tolerable and enjoyable, especially in this Southern MD heat.

In the High setting, the wind hit me at eye level with a tiny bit more noise, but still very smooth and no buffeting.  I wear plugs, so the slight noise increase was of no consequence to me.  Wind management was still great.

If I could do it again, I'd make it about 1" taller.  Aside from that little adjustment, I'm happy as a clam.  I'll likely continue with the "OEM" flyscreen for the hottest months now, switch back to the MRA Sport in the fall, and use the bigger CalSci in the coldest months.  Here's a few pics...

Low position...

Screen_8.thumb.jpg.fc64728e1a48b897975d9223234c5128.jpg

Another Low position...

Screen_6.thumb.jpg.173a0ecf7ad5e6781649f65188b928d2.jpg

A High position...

Screen_2.thumb.jpg.969f40821bbdffb17b173d0888013820.jpg

Another High position...

Screen_4.thumb.jpg.93ab93cbc8a745ab87fac779b0a8c946.jpg

Lastly, a cockpit view in the High position.

Screen5.thumb.jpg.d02e5c885e613a587ebf4dabd0c452e5.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, whistler said:

If I could do it again, I'd make it about 1" taller.  Aside from that little adjustment, I'm happy as a clam.

Looks good.  Agree with you on the smaller or near non-existent screen, such an improvement. 

It sounds like you are handy with cutting and sanding, If you want to experiment, screens are cheap on Ebay, or modify a screen from a different bike, something that flows with the body lines.  I modified a Winter screen I had left over from my previous FZ1.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, betoney said:

Looks good.  Agree with you on the smaller or near non-existent screen, such an improvement. 

It sounds like you are handy with cutting and sanding, If you want to experiment, screens are cheap on Ebay, or modify a screen from a different bike, something that flows with the body lines.  I modified a Winter screen I had left over from my previous FZ1.   

Yep, who knows what can happen during a tinkering session over the winter months, right?  😁

• Like 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• 3 weeks later...

Good Read on these topic. tot higher screen are better against wind buffeting, omit to understand the bad wind. Already pre-order the Puig but can reject later if dun want. Shall try naked without windshield this weekend if its much better than stock windshield and perhaps to consider a shorter windscreen instead. Mmmmmm....... 

• Thumbsup 1