Shorty vs full coverage in summer

Maverick302

I have the Puig sport screen and Madstad touring screen. It's a one beer  job to switch them around.

If I had to pick one it would be the Madstad with all its adjustability.  However the bike looks way better with the short screen .

20190822_155254_resized.thumb.jpg.97bc400d4e9b17be74b9cf920de329ba.jpg

BPHybO0.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 10:51 AM, roadwarrior said:

I have the Puig sport screen and Madstad touring screen. It's a one beer  job to switch them around.

If I had to pick one it would be the Madstad with all its adjustability.  However the bike looks way better with the short screen .

20190822_155254_resized.thumb.jpg.97bc400d4e9b17be74b9cf920de329ba.jpg

BPHybO0.jpg

roadwarrior.... how is the puig sport screen, (think model 9724H), as am getting damm hot on the OEM and puig touring. if may share, how different is between having no shield and the puig sport screen (for the looks or is there some techno wind thingy). might need to dispose of the puig touring in replacement of these shorter one. should i need a longer, will just use back the ori. 

• Premium Member

As reported elsewhere I just finished a 4000 mile trip around the upper part of the western USA. I have the 26" Madstad barn door. I'm 6'3" with a long torso so I still easily look over the top of this massive eyesore of a windshield. 

Although it does not look beautiful, I found it worked quite well. In particular I like the fact that I almost never got bugs and crap on my helmet faceshield, it all seems to go up and over. On past long tours I had to clean my faceshield at every single stop; on this trip I cleaned it once a day, and even then it was mostly out of habit.

The only real problem was rain; I had to periodically move my helmet out into the wind to clear rain drops off the faceshield. 

On 9/2/2020 at 12:37 AM, WKE002 said:

roadwarrior.... how is the puig sport screen, (think model 9724H), as am getting damm hot on the OEM and puig touring. if may share, how different is between having no shield and the puig sport screen (for the looks or is there some techno wind thingy). might need to dispose of the puig touring in replacement of these shorter one. should i need a longer, will just use back the ori. 

I've never driven the Tracer with no windshield, but I did spend the previous 10 years on a Vmax with no windshield.  So I can only compare the two experiences.

The sport screen puts the wind on your chest and creates no more buffeting if you were running no shield at all. However, because it does deflect some air, there is a bit less fatigue then running no shield at all.

Finally, I'm kind of anal about a bikes looks. Not having any windshield on the Tracer, well, it just looks like the bike is missing it's windshield. If I went this route, I would have to DIY a plate to cover the space where the stock adjustable base normally screws into the fairing.

• Thumbsup 1

My tracer is my first bike with a "proper" windshield, after 25 years of riding with nothing or, in the case of my MT07, a small sport windscreen that did nothing but keep the gauge cluster bug-free and looked spiffy.

I hate it.  I far, far prefer riding with the windshield off entirely, and would do so almost always if it didn't look so bad.  The only time I like it is in bad weather, as it reduces the amount of rain hitting my chest... And it keeps my jacket a bit less buggy.  I honestly do not understand people talking about fatigue from riding without a windshield - I find riding with one to be far more fatiguing.  Without a windshield, you simply lean on the wind and relax, let the wind support your body weight.  With one, that's impossible, and even with the helibar risers pulling the bars up and back, I'm leaned slightly forward on the bike even with my arms extended straight.  

I'd like the Puig Sport screen, I think, but have a really hard time justifying the prices asked for windshields for the GT.  I love the cheap ebay knockoffs (what I had for my MT07) but there's none yet for the GT.  Just for something to make the bike look right, but I'd far rather have wind on my chest than just on my head. 

• Thumbsup 3

• 7 months later...

Picking my new 2020 Tracer GT up Saturday and already have a Puig Racing screen for it.  I like having my helmet in clean air and hope there is no buffeting or major noise with the Puig screen....

• 2 months later...
Thanks much Whistler for posting photos and lessons learned about reshaping your stock windscreen into a 'shorty'. I did the same thing to my bike based on your inputs! Big difference and tremendously helpful in this North Texas heat!

6568DCEA-F7BA-4495-B018-2D3312CB8460_1_201_a.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Catch said:
Thanks much Whistler for posting photos and lessons learned about reshaping your stock windscreen into a 'shorty'. I did the same thing to my bike based on your inputs! Big difference and tremendously helpful in this North Texas heat!

6568DCEA-F7BA-4495-B018-2D3312CB8460_1_201_a.jpeg

Very glad it's worked out for you, Catch!  Doesn't take a lot of time, very few tools, and the payoff is well worth the effort.  Enjoy that N. Texas weather, Buddy, and stay safe and healthy out there!  

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

On 9/6/2020 at 11:14 AM, peteinpa said:
s-l400.jpg

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn Windshield WindScreen Fits Yamaha FJ09 FJ 09 MT 09 Tracer 15-16 2015 2016 Black

The windshield can protect motorcycle enthusiasts from the wind...

If I get a FJ09 next week, what about this?  $25 delivered.

Anybody used it yet?

Yes, put one on mine 2 weeks ago before a 2100km 3 day ride. 

Made a huge difference to noise and buffeting, my helmet is in clean air. 

Not as good as having a good fairing like an older style sports tourer, but for my 5’6” height it works a lot better than stock.