Oil consumption on GT

bugie

Hey all, 

So about 3.5k km ago i had the bike serviced and have noticed that the oil level seems to have dropped and now sits just under the half way mark. This has caused the red oil light to come on a few times when cold (but then turns off within 20 secs). I am also not seeing any oil on the ground or oil around the engine. Bike is currently at 11.5k km on the clock. Has anyone else experienced oil consumption on their GT?

I have removed the db killer on my akra (no remap). Shouldn't be relevant but am throwing it out there just in case.

Chris

• Supporting Member

My GT has the same mileage as yours @bugie I have not had any oil consumption problems. But the sight glass readings seem to be very sensitive to how level the bike is when you look at the sight glass. Pick a level spot and top of your oil and check it in the same spot every time.Check your oil when the engine is hot, wait a couple of minutes and take your reading.  

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
53 minutes ago, clint said:

Interesting! It's different between MY2015 FJ-09 and the 2019 Tracer 900 GT. I stand corrected!

image.png.b344dc654fdbd5a886343a4583913f21.png

Same engine, yet 2 different descriptions, ya' gotta love Yamaha service manuals.🙄 (spark plug replacement intervals, torque specs and chain slack?)

I think this is one of those common sense things, holding it level or having it on the center stand on level ground...?   The only difference is using the center stand is infinitely easier and more convenient.  Not too concerned with the process as long as it is just below the "maximum level mark". 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have always checked level on the centre stand. Dont think I would like to try to hold the bike level while trying to bend down low enough to get a look at the sight glass. Also don't think I could take the ridicule if I asked one of my mates to pop over and help me check my oil level.

• Thumbsup 2

6 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

My GT has the same mileage as yours @bugie I have not had any oil consumption problems. But the sight glass readings seem to be very sensitive to how level the bike is when you look at the sight glass. Pick a level spot and top of your oil and check it in the same spot every time.Check your oil when the engine is hot, wait a couple of minutes and take your reading.  

Thanks! Yeah, this is the process I follow and I definitely do have a decrease in my oil level as you can see in the pic

IMG_20200122_104041.jpg

Zero oil consumption in 110000 miles - no matter riding in the city, highway or backroads and temperatures from 10-100F. Coming from a KTM 990 which quickly started to leak an burn a liter every 1000 miles the Yamaha was a delight in the oil department 😉

But I also had the oil sign coming on a few times for 30 sec to 2 min at start up, but always disappeared when the engine warmed up. It happened usually soon after oil changes, thus maybe some bubbling at the sensor...

• Thumbsup 2

You really don't wanna fill up too much... if it settles halfway or tad more, your good... now if you overfill it, you may not notice at once but a few miles down the road when your hammering it, extra oil gets blown into the airbox... also as the oil breaks down/gets full of crud it raises the oil lvl... 

When engine is running you shouldn't see any oil, maybe a tiny bit in the sight glass, so don't think its low on oil...

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

5 hours ago, norcal616 said:

When engine is running you shouldn't see any oil, maybe a tiny bit in the sight glass, so don't think its low on oil...

The engine had been off for 10 mins there

It’s a tad low. 
Top it off to 3/4 up the window and worry no more. 

WRT oil level check holding Bike level with both wheels on the ground vs center stand - depending on the model, some bikes will be a bit higher using one method vs the other. For example, if you fill an FJR on the center stand, and then check it once on the ground - one method will usually indicate a slightly higher level than the other. 

WRT consumption - mine drops from 3/4 of the way up the window, to the lower 1/4 of the window in a couple thousand miles (probably 1-200cc tops). Normal. 

-Skip

• Thanks 1