Oil drain plug missing gasket?

9 hours ago, nhchris said:

Here's a weird oil story...

On my most recent change I pulled the plug and let her drain away.  Then I pulled the filter. Then I let the bike sit and drain for a several hours.

I installed the new filter and spun the plug in temporarily until I could get a new crush washer.  A few days later I had the washer and was ready to finish the job.

I spun the drain plug out to install the washer and about 3 oz of oil gushed onto the floor!

Where did all that oil come from?  Apparently full synth takes a  loooong time to drain completely.

I noticed the same as i had left the plug in over night as i realised that on this bike the oil drain washer is not part of the drain plug bolt as on my previous bike. I assume it's just the rest of the oil draining away from the engine slowly. Which also means that a lot of the engine lubrication is missing at first startup.

7 hours ago, texscottyd said:

@nhchris - Did you pre-fill the new filter with fresh oil before you put in on the bike?   That might explain where the ‘extra’ oil appeared from (it probably would have looked nice & clean, however). 

I put some oil in the filter but didn't fill it. Put in the recommended 2.7l and bike was sitting snug on the max. Started it up and let it cool a bit and the oil was on the min (i suppose the oil filter filling up). Had to top up with another 100ml.I assume this is because i left the bike drained overnight so additional oil slowly drained (which would not have done if i changed oil immediately.

Funnily enough the extra oil only appeared after i moved the bike. Took it off the centre stand. wheeled it to a new spot and put it on the centre stand and it was now above the sight glass (on the side stand held upright it shows oil at the full mark as should be the case)

• 2 weeks later...

Bugie,

Had exactly the same.

As per the original post-er, I had no crush washer, not even a flattened one. Got some generic aluminium washers off ebay and loosely re-fitted drain plug while awaiting arrival.

When I went to re-fit more oil came out after I removed the plug!

Maybe I'll leave the bike overnight in the future, after an oil drain! 

• Thumbsup 1