New Guy here from Illinois. The flat state

Hello to all riders.

I am close to making a decision on a new 2020 MT-09 Tracer GT

I need cruise and heated grips and luggage.

My thought is a few road trips this year in 2020.

My main concern is comfort on the long haul.

Thanks for letting me hang out.  Once I make the purchase I'll share my ride.

8 minutes ago, Senior Rider said:

Hello to all riders.

I am close to making a decision on a new 2020 MT-09 Tracer GT

I need cruise and heated grips and luggage.

My thought is a few road trips this year in 2020.

My main concern is comfort on the long haul.

Thanks for letting me hang out.  Once I make the purchase I'll share my ride.

There is a hill between Casey and Moonshine Store.  Now, west Texas is flat!

HEHE.  You are correct.  Illinois gets a bad wrap.  Actually northern Illinois up around Galena and Peoria

and any of the rivers are really nice places to ride.  Where I'm at is corn and beans, corn and beans and checkerboard square roads to ride.  I literally set the cruise at 40mph and ride in a straight path standing up on my pegs looking out for miles and miles and never even come to a stop sign, perhaps for 15 miles in a straight line.  Borrring!

Welcome @Senior Rider,  maybe just a seat for comfort but you will know if you need one once you get to ride it for a while.  My main things one my bike for comfort was a new seat and highway pegs.  Great combo for long haul comfort.

The GT is a really good bang for the buck...but like anything..we always like to tweak things to our liking.  that's the fun of it though.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Other than the Starved Rock and Galena locales (the latter of which is a bit far for a day ride but I've done so many times) and Route 2 south of Rockford along the Rock River to Dixon, all of which is a PITA to get to, and maybe Grass Lakes Road through the Chain Of lakes and a few back roads out toward Woodstock, for me northern Illinois is pretty much a flat wasteland.  I normally head up to SE and SW Wisconsin; where within an hour or so some half decent riding can be had...

Sad but true.

I'm always up for a ride from April through November on either my VTR, RD or FJ09, just LMK.

I also plan on hitting the MO and AK Ozarks this coming season a couple times, and head out to CO.

20171001_185021.jpg

20161117_112606.jpg

20161117_112700.jpg

20170921_172811.jpg

20170222_142314.jpg

20161026_223755.jpg

RoadRUNNER-Madison-Wi-Shamrock-Tourr-Mixing-It-Up_Page1.jpg

RoadRUNNER-Madison-Wi-Shamrock-Tourr-Mixing-It-Up_Page2.jpg

RoadRUNNER-Madison-Wi-Shamrock-Tourr-Mixing-It-Up_Page3.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

I am 58 years old, 6'1" in height with a 34 inch inseam and I find the bike to be very comfortable for the long haul.  Only issue is with the stock seat.  It's not horrible but I am in the que for a Terry Adcox seat this spring.  In the meantime I can live with the stock seat.  This is my first bike with heated grips and cruise control and I don't see myself ever having another bike without them.    

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

1 hour ago, johnmark101 said:

I am 58 years old, 6'1" in height with a 34 inch inseam and I find the bike to be very comfortable for the long haul.  Only issue is with the stock seat.  It's not horrible but I am in the que for a Terry Adcox seat this spring.  In the meantime I can live with the stock seat.  This is my first bike with heated grips and cruise control and I don't see myself ever having another bike without them.    

just wait until you plant your arse on terrys seat....the stock seat will become horrible.😉

Thank you for the maps and your thoughts.

I fully agree.

Where I'm at in East Central Illinois we can ride 20 minutes and be in God's country otherwise known as Indiana, and ride for a full day or more on really nice roads south and central Indiana.  But, it's still takes a bit to get there.

Southern Illinois is better on a Dual Sport.  Not a lot of fun unless you can go off road.

Overall we don't have a lot here in the Midwest.

I agree that Wisconsin is great.  I trailer up to Lancaster and pull out and ride for days.  The RoadRunner articles and maps are great too.  Thank you for sharing.  I do take that mag and will be heading to Louisiana next month with a buddy to ride in the warmth of the south.  

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, Senior Rider said:

Where I'm at is corn and beans, corn and beans and checkerboard square roads to ride.  I literally set the cruise at 40mph and ride in a straight path standing up on my pegs looking out for miles and miles and never even come to a stop sign, perhaps for 15 miles in a straight line.  Borrring!

😲  Um...  I cant even imagine...

I am SO GRATEFUL for the mountains out West.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yes, be thankful.  It truly is boring here.

There are times it's nice to just get out and ride.  I can be outside my small town in a few moments and not see another living soul for mile and miles and miles.  

20191020_124443_resized.jpg

Edited by Senior Rider
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Senior Rider said:

Thank you for the maps and your thoughts.

I fully agree.

Where I'm at in East Central Illinois we can ride 20 minutes and be in God's country otherwise known as Indiana, and ride for a full day or more on really nice roads south and central Indiana.  But, it's still takes a bit to get there.

Southern Illinois is better on a Dual Sport.  Not a lot of fun unless you can go off road.

Overall we don't have a lot here in the Midwest.

I agree that Wisconsin is great.  I trailer up to Lancaster and pull out and ride for days.  The RoadRunner articles and maps are great too.  Thank you for sharing.  I do take that mag and will be heading to Louisiana next month with a buddy to ride in the warmth of the south.  

20 minutes to Indiana from south of Lincoln, maybe but I don't think so on roads...

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Welcome to the forum and my condolences (for the flat land that surrounds you 😉

I invite you to check out the events my club puts on within easy reach of your area.  The MSTA rides twisty routes and enjoys hanging out for a weekend at Corydon, IN; La Crosse, WI; and at our national rally in Cape Girardeau, MO.   Non-members are welcome.  www.ridemsta.com

msta midwest.PNG

• Thumbsup 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise