No access to Menu when check Engine LIght is on?

DGuy

Greetings:

So I disconnected my battery to install a cable for the electric vest.

Now of course the Check Engine Light is on; after reading several posts I see that that is normal. But no mention of the menu access problem...

Anyone else had this issue?

I've ordered an adapter cable for the OBDII reader so I can clear the Engine LIght.

Thanks,

Guy

Edited by DGuy

It’s only the very early FJ 09/Tracer models from 2015 and maybe the year after that allows you to go into the menu and clear CELs. For later models you’ll need to connect to the diagnostics port or go to your dealer.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, DGuy said:

So I disconnected my battery to install a cable for the electric vest.

Now of course the Check Engine Light is on; after reading several posts I see that that is normal.

I would argue that this issue is NOT normal like you mentioned.  You can disconnect and reconnect the battery terminals all day long and should NEVER get any a CEL.

Does everything work correctly on the bike aside from having the CEL illuminated?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

55 minutes ago, DGuy said:

No access to the Menu...the wheel/button gets no response which I find strange.

That's normal.  When the CEL is lit it won't let you access the menu (that is, on the TFT Tracer 900 GT dash). I went down that route when I ran the bike on the center stand.  Don't do that, by the way, it really pisses of the TCS and ECU.  The TCS will reset and work again, but you're stuck with a CEL and no menu access.  I ended up needing to have mine reset at a shop as o don't yet have an adapter and I needed into the menu to adjust heated grips settings.

• Thumbsup 1

21 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

That's normal.  When the CEL is lit it won't let you access the menu (that is, on the TFT Tracer 900 GT dash). I went down that route when I ran the bike on the center stand.  Don't do that, by the way, it really pisses of the TCS and ECU.  The TCS will reset and work again, but you're stuck with a CEL and no menu access.  I ended up needing to have mine reset at a shop as o don't yet have an adapter and I needed into the menu to adjust heated grips settings.

Thankyou sir...that puts my mind at ease; now will ride the bike and anxiously await delivery of my adapter.

• Supporting Member
42 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I'm still more curious as to WHY that happened just by disconnecting the battery??  It shouldn't trip a CEL.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

47 minutes ago, betoney said:

I'm still more curious as to WHY that happened just by disconnecting the battery??  It shouldn't trip a CEL.

There's some low-voltage situations that can cause that, but they should reset.  I can't remember the specifics of it, but I know it happened with my MT07 a couple times.  Not just disconnecting, though, I think you need to disconnect it *while* the ignition is on?  Or have it (power, that is) flicker off and on quickly while the ignition is on.  Makes the ECU pixies angry.  But as I said that should clear once you drive it a bit.  

Basically, you're triggering the "battery voltage is too low; check your charging system" alarm.  It should NOT be triggered by normal battery disconnects, though, the ECU needs to think the voltage is low, not gone.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes.....if the check engine light is on you will not have access to the menu.  Also look at the top of the display and see if the quickshifter indicator is off.  I had a check engine light due to a blown fuse and after replacing the fuse the light stayed on, I could not access the menu and the quickshifter was turned off.  Had to get the dealer to clear the code and after that all is well.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

23 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Yes.....if the check engine light is on you will not have access to the menu.  Also look at the top of the display and see if the quickshifter indicator is off.  I had a check engine light due to a blown fuse and after replacing the fuse the light stayed on, I could not access the menu and the quickshifter was turned off.  Had to get the dealer to clear the code and after that all is well.

QS is off...didn't notice that.

All is well once again with my bike .

Received the OBDII adapter today and after a couple minutes the Check Engine Light was gone, I once again had access to the Menu system and the QS indicator was back.

Anyone have a list of the fault codes and their meaning?

Thanks all.

1 hour ago, DGuy said:

All is well once again with my bike .

Received the OBDII adapter today and after a couple minutes the Check Engine Light was gone, I once again had access to the Menu system and the QS indicator was back.

Anyone have a list of the fault codes and their meaning?

Thanks all.

What sort of reader are you using?  I've got a lovely Bluetooth ScanTool reader, but I suspect it'll need some extra wiring (power at least?) to work.  I'd love to be able to pull live ecu data on my phone while riding.