New Member to this Forum

pavanchavda

Hello Everyone, I have been very curious about the new Tracer 900/900 GT since its launch. I currently ride Yamaha R3 (2016) and I am looking to upgrade it to a sport touring oriented bike. There are a couple of options I have in mind like the new Tiger 900, Suzuki Vstrom 650XT, BMW F750GS and ofcourse Yammie Tracer 900.

This is where my dilemma is: All these options look and sound good but I dont know which is one to get. I mainly use the bike to commute to work (I live in the city so no highway miles) even through winter and spring. I will also be using it to do some touring (no long hauls, no off-roading either) with a pillion so things such as luggage and accessories options, cruise control, heated grips, passenger comfort, TC, Ride Modes are important for me. Would Tracer be a good bike for what I am looking for? Are there any other options that I should be looking at that I have missed? Any suggestions/feedback that you guys can provide would be invaluable.

I am currently leaning towards Tracer. I really liked my R3 and it would be very sad to let it go. Yamaha is also much more budget friendly than BMW and Triumph (as far as I know). There are a couple of base model of Tracer 900 on sale near where I live (DC metro area) around $8.5k MSRP ($10k OTD). All 900 GT are being sold MSRP at $13k (~14.5k OTD). That's about $4500 difference between Tracer 900 and 900 GT. In that case, would it be worth to pay that much extra for GT or I would be better off with base model if I can get it on sale. I know the base model doesnt have CC, heated grips, panniers though I can fix some of that by using the $ I save by not buying GT. Thank you all for your feedback.

• Premium Member

Yes.  The Tracer would be a good bike for just about any purpose.  It's a good all-rounder.  If you like the idea of riding it, then you should be happy with it. With a large trunk added, you should be able to go anywhere two-up.  I tour on it with space to spare.

• Thumbsup 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum @pavanchavdaI would say buy the 900GT, but then I have one. To me there are enough upgrades in the GT to make it worth it. I'm not saying you can't do up a 900 Tracer to GT levels, but If you have to pay somebody to do it that can get expensive. Happy hunting!

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, pavanchavda said:

There are a couple of base model of Tracer 900 on sale near where I live (DC metro area) around $8.5k MSRP ($10k OTD). All 900 GT are being sold MSRP at $13k (~14.5k OTD). That's about $4500 difference between Tracer 900 and 900 GT. In that case, would it be worth to pay that much extra for GT or I would be better off with base model if I can get it on sale. I know the base model doesnt have CC, heated grips, panniers though I can fix some of that by using the $ I save by not buying GT. Thank you all for your feedback.

That seems to be nationwide pricing, the base Tracer was marked down to $8500 here as well, my dealer had a few and sold them in an instant.

I really like the GT model, -(Yamaha must have read my mind and copied my build 2 years after the fact😎) as I set up my '15 FJ09 exactly like the new GT except for the quick shifter, and with MUCH nicer suspension.   Buying all of the parts to make the base Tracer into a GT is almost doable but will be quite expensive and be labor intensive. Do do you do your maintenance or would you have a mechanic install everything? factor in potentially $100-120 an hour for labor.  You still wont have the improved front fork, remote shock preload adjuster or new color TFT screen.

If you were to buy side bags, I would definitely get the FJR bags for more storage capacity, either way you will need the bags, mounts and a lock set installed.

The nice thing about the GT is they have done all of the work for you, it comes with everything, just get on and go.  Buying a base Tracer will initially save you some money but then you will re-spend it all buying all of the parts and taking the time to turn it into a GT anyway...

Check Cycle Trader, you can find new 2019 GT's (the better color) for less than $12,000, you might have to drive to North Carolina but you can save $1,000+. Just a thought.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

That's very interesting. I wonder if that is because people prefer GT over base model since the price difference is so low.

I am definitely more leaned towards getting GT model. If I were to get GT, I would definitely prefer 2019 model over 2020. The color scheme for 2020 is just horrible in my opinion (especially compared to what EU gets). I have been checking Tracers around me on CT and unfortunately, the 2019 models are all over 200 miles away from where I am. I may have to wait until the weather gets a bit warmer to purchase and ride it back from a bit farm away.

• Thumbsup 1

The Tracer is a great machine, and (as can be expected here on a Tracer forum) I'd strongly recommend a GT if you're interested in the features, mostly because it's a pretty good deal and cheaper just to get it all stock.... Particularly as you'll never get a base Tracer as spiffy as the GT is.

IMHO, the real strength of the Tracer GT is in the value proposition.  You get *so much more* for your money than elsewhere... And there's not really any cheaply cut corners.  It's just a damn good bike at a really reasonable price.

Shopping for 2019's new is pretty ideal too.  I got mine in November, at a huge discount because the 2020's where coming in.  Ended up paying iirc $11500 (Canadian Pesos, mind you, not USD) AND had them throw in the first service free.

• Thumbsup 2

Another vote for getting the GT.  You will likely end up replacing the stock screen and possibly the seat.  Otherwise it is brilliant right out of the box.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Thanks all for the feedback guys. Seems like GT is the way to go if features are important. I have heard about the stock screen not being as good and I was going to get a comfort saddle too to keep my butt happy. :) I will go and check out a GT at the dealer and do a test ride.

Don’t opt for the Yamaha comfort seat: there is very little good feedback about it. There are several much better options. Bagster, Terry Adcox, etc.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, pavanchavda said:

That's good to know. What about replacing the stock windshield? Is Yamaha Touring windshield good or there are any other better (cheaper) alternatives?

Windscreen effectiveness is so subjective as there are too many variables to make any true recommendations for another rider. 

Some riders have taller or shorter upper torso, longer or shorter arms, sit closer or further from the tank, wear louder or quieter helmets and have different tolerances for wind levels.  What works for me could be terrible for another rider.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

5 hours ago, pavanchavda said:

That's good to know. What about replacing the stock windshield? Is Yamaha Touring windshield good or there are any other better (cheaper) alternatives?

As @betoney said, lots of options out there and searchable in the forum. The previous owner of my bike included the Yamaha touring screen and it was still turbulent and much bigger/ugly. I’ve never used it again.

Puig Touring is popular. If you post your height/inseam, others may chip in with local versions that have worked for them.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

5 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Many riders have gone with a shorter screen to get their head into clean air.  I am 6'1" and that is what worked for me.

I'm 6'4", and just keep mine in the lower position and it's fine.  Mind you, I also have very minimal windshield experience, and was never bothered by wind even on long road trips on bikes without a windshield.   

Just with mine in the upper position air is very turbulent around my head if I'm not tucking down and riding aggressively.

Definitely a subjective thing though.