New Member to this Forum

pavanchavda

I definitely agree. 2500 miles is a sweet spot for a used bike. It's almost new and I dont have to worry about hidden dealership costs and breaking in the motorcycle. :)

As for the price, I think its a very good deal. Used Tracer GTs are hard to come by in the US. The owner of bike sent me pics, vids, vin, title and everything seems good so far. Unfortunately, he is not around for a couple of weeks so I will have to wait a bit to go check it out in person. I will keep you all posted!

I was in the same dilemma a few months ago and decided on the base model. The reason being is I ride for pleasure and only do a few big trips a year so didn't think I would benefit from cruise control.  The panniers look great but as they wont hold a helmet I thought I would go for the Yamaha rack and topbox. Suspension is upgraded and there is a quick shifter on the GT but what I haven't tried I wont miss. I have also fitted oxford advanced hotgrips which were £63 as opposed to £170 for the Yamaha ones. So I am happy with my choice and don't regret buying the base model. 

If you decide you want a quick shifter after all, I can offer a bolt-on plug'n'play shifter kit (2017+), US$150 + $15 for the postman. The '15-16 models need to add a controller, +$100 for a plug'n'play unit.

TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

I went to test ride a Tracer last weekend. I definitely liked the bike (especially the engine!!). I liked almost everything in the bike except a couple of minor things. As other riders have reported, I definitely felt the wind on my helmet and I wasn't even going highway speed. I also found the scroll wheel on the right handlebar a bit difficult to use (I have used BMW's so I am probably comparing it against that). The temperature was about 35 F and I could still feel the cold in my fingers even with handguard, heated grips, winter gloves, and glove liners.

The 2020 color actually looks much better in person than in pictures. I hated the color in the picture but now that I looked at it in-person, I gotta say its not too bad. To anyone who wants to buy Tracer but is hesitant about the color option for 2020, I suggest that you take a look at it in person and you may change your mind.

I have been riding small displacement bikes for over 10 years and I gotta say, it was a little intimidating coming from R3 (my current bike). But I think (I hope) it's just a matter of getting comfortable with the bike. I was also very fearful of opening the throttle too much given my unfamiliarity with the bike and the engine (and probably because I had to sign a 'You drop it, you buy it' clause).

Here are some pictures of the bike from my test ride:

IMG_5203.jpg

IMG_5201.jpg

IMG_5202.jpg

I *love* the 2020 panels in person.  The metallic black, the awesome red, looks great.  

Doesn't look like the photos at all imho which look wierdly orangey.

And yeah, the scroll wheel is finicky.  You get used to it, but it's not well design and is particularly awkward if you're wearing bulky gloves.  That said, once you settle into the bike there's not really a lot of call to actually use it much.

An upside of the Tracer if you're not accustomed to the power is the traction control can limit wheelies or prevent them entirely (tcs1 and tcs2 respectively) and the riding modes can limit the low rpm throttle.  In B mode, you need to really wind it up to high RPMs to get power, so it's pretty easy for someone not expecting the crazy low end torque the CP3 generates.  Ride in B mode initially, then move to STD once you're used to it, then up to A after.  Unlike older FJ's, A isn't jerky and twitchy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 4:26 PM, TTR Ignition said:

If you decide you want a quick shifter after all, I can offer a bolt-on plug'n'play shifter kit (2017+), US$150 + $15 for the postman. The '15-16 models need to add a controller, +$100 for a plug'n'play unit.

I know nothing about this topic, so I have a couple of questions on your QS  for my ’15. Since my model would need the controller, does it matter if my ECU has been flashed? Would it need to be re-flashed? I haven’t yet done the APS adjustment, but I plan to do so, would there be any impact there? Lastly, I have a KTM cruise control fitted on my FJ. Would that impact the installation at all?  As for the math, it looks like the OTD for my model year would be $250 + S&H, right?

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Hi, Maximo.

The QS and controller have nothing to do with the flash or APS, so no - it makes no difference if the ECU is flashed or APS adjusted. I don't know how the cruise control bolts up, but the QS controller plugs in via the sidestand switch and rear brake switch.

And yes, the OTD is US$250 + $15 shipping to anywhere in the Continental US.

• Thanks 1
TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email