McCruise

• Premium Member

Looking to make the jump to Mccruise 

Trying to decide between the 2 different switch housings. 

Apparently they don't do the FJR/Tenere option any longer 

Chime in with an opinion.

Screenshot_20200130-120842_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200130-120502_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200130-113650_Chrome.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member

@fddriver2 - IMHO, the smaller and more integrated looking, the better. ( the reason I went with the Tenere controls) 
I don’t like clutter and/or tons of switches on the handlebars, so my vote is for the new slim switch. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I went with the older style switch. I have it on my 07 FJR and I am very used to it. It does block the menu button a bit, but I felt that the slim switch was so far away from my thumb that it would be more of an inconvenience than the blocked menu switch. I just flip the menu switch with my index finger, and it works fine.

MC Cruise is an awesome company to work with. The product is well thought out, instructions are super clear, and if you do have any issues, they are excellent with customer service. I spent about an hour on the phone with them yesterday (on their dime) trying to sort out a glitch I was having.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

I went with the older style switch. I have it on my 07 FJR and I am very used to it. It does block the menu button a bit, but I felt that the slim switch was so far away from my thumb that it would be more of an inconvenience than the blocked menu switch. I just flip the menu switch with my index finger, and it works fine.

As soon as I saw a photo of the original switch blocking the menu button, it was out of consideration for me.  I'm kind of OCD about the placement of control switches and lever height adjustment though, so to some it might not be a big deal.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

I actually have the slim switch and find it works well for me.  I opted for the slim version for the reasons that have been stated above - a more integrated look.  And while I would have preferred the Tenere cluster, I didn't want to have to re-mortgage the house for it either!

I know that Tony from McCruise actually uses the slim one and has it mounted on the 'inside' of the control cluster. i.e. between the hand grip and the instrument cluster.  I believe he did that because of a medical condition and wanted it to be in very easy reach.  I think he cut the handgrip down but equally you could cut off the little locating plastic piece of the instrument cluster that locates (the cluster) into the handlebars.  Anyway, that's something you could discuss with him if you wanted to pursue that version?

From my experience and IMO, the slim switch is easy to access in the position as shown and integrates nicely.

Here's some photos of mine that may help in your decision making.

MCC1.thumb.jpg.bc54304fe5ad086e064b1bbda1670618.jpgMCC2.thumb.jpg.35c1508335b285d37e79c275003ccceb.jpgMCC3.thumb.jpg.0137f2a28dd9ea4a6bc582335df54260.jpg

• Thanks 2

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

I know that Tony from McCruise actually uses the slim one and has it mounted on the 'inside' of the control cluster. i.e. between the hand grip and the instrument cluster.

Putting it on the inside between the grip and switch cluster is brilliant!  👍

• Thumbsup 3

I've got the older style and it works great, except as already stated it does partially block the menu button. I have given some thought to maybe putting a riser of some sort on it to give more clearance. However unless you have abnormally long fingers I think you will find that you have to take your hand off of the grip to easily access the buttons. I wear an extra large glove size and it is a stretch for me. With that being said I think I would opt for the new style just so it wouldn't cover the menu button.

If you do much riding on the highway or commuting you are going love the McCruise, it has got to be one of the best options you can add to the bike. The installation manual that comes with it is a fantastic step by step guide. Take your time and be patient and you can install it in a day.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, betoney said:

Putting it on the inside between the grip and switch cluster is brilliant!  👍

Yes, It's certainly an option but my only concern with going that way is access to the indicator switch?  My reasoning is that you access the indicators (probably) way more than you do the cruise control.  YMMV but something to consider?...

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

I'm trying to scrape up the $ to buy one before carrying them and also debated which switch.  Blocking the OEM rocker is an issue but having room for the slim switch whether inboard or outboard of the OEM pod with the narrower Renthal Street Naked bar and having room for the KTM  hand guard bar clamp is a concern.  Also I understand the slim switch can be impacted by the clutch lever.  Going to bar end mount only Barkbusters helps but adds another $135...

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I'm trying to scrape up the $ to buy one before carrying them and also debated which switch.  Blocking the OEM rocker is an issue but having room for the slim switch whether inboard or outboard of the OEM pod with the narrower Renthal Street Naked bar and having room for the KTM  hand guard bar clamp is a concern.  Also I understand the slim switch can be impacted by the clutch lever.  Going to bar end mount only Barkbusters helps but adds another $135...

@2and3cylinders - you make a couple of good observations there which I should have mentioned as well.

Just a FYI - I have the Renthal street naked bar as well.  Putting the slim switch on the outside of the cluster does force a move of the mirror and clutch lever assembly about 10mm to the right which did create the situation where my 3rd party clutch lever did touch on the cluster at full squeeze/close.  I was able to adjust it and so minimised the issue.

I was also able to lengthen the lever to compensate for the rightward move, as it is an adjustable one (see 1st photo above) but didn't really have to.

Other clutch levers including the OEMs may perform differently to my experience although you'd think that if there were serious problems then they would have been raised by now?

I don't have/use handguards so can't comment on the effects of moving the mirror/clutch assembly and how that may impact on the KTM ones you describe.

I just had a thought - you could always cut the switch down and still mount it on the inside of the assembly by screwing/attaching it to the switch assembly.  This may answer the 'problem' of the switch blocking the indicator toggle while not changing any of the other parameters?!  You would have to cut the handgrip down in that case rather than move the assembly.  I might think about doing this myself if it works out!  Hmmm....

See the extract below from the slim switch installation manual that shows several options of attachment.

269344716_Slimswitch.JPG.c62833dab4426def9e2ee5c23c99c54b.JPG

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

I was thinking about cutting off the back of the slim switch similar to as indicated (I'd seen the instructions and communicated with them) and double-sided taping, hot glueing and/or possibly also screwing it to the top half of the oem switch pod.

Thoughts?

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I was thinking about cutting off the back of the slim switch similar to as indicated (I'd seen the instructions and communicated with them) and double-sided taping, hot glueing and/or possibly also screwing it to the top half of the oem switch pod.

Thoughts?

@2and3cylinders - Not quite sure what you mean when you say you want to attach it to the top half of the OEM pod?

Do you mean still having the switch on the outside of the the pod but not having to attach it to the handlebars thus possibly avoiding the issue of moving the mirror/clutch assembly?  Or...something else?

I guess it may be possible but any screwing would have to be done with careful consideration of what's behind/inside of the pod of course. Forgive me if I've stated the obvious.

If that's what you mean I can make some measurements or I guess if you have the instructions you may know them already.  Here's a snip from the manual just in case you don't have the info...

1065837048_Slimswitch_dimensions.JPG.00de2e9f6fa596b19ab5bf8bab0be329.JPG