McCruise

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

That must have been a pita enclosing it all in the switch housing.

@draco_1967 - Yes, it was a PITA and as mentioned I wouldn't recommend doing it that way for future installs.  There are several methods possible.  Whatever is neat and tidy and works for the individual. 🙂

Thanks for the feedback.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Here's a rough up of my wiring arrangement.  Hope it makes sense.  I wired (soldered) all of my resistors in line with the cabling and enclosed them within the switchblock after insulating them with heatshink.  To be honest... a pain in the ar$e!

If I was to do it again, and I might (OCD kicking in!), I would mount all of the resistors remotely on a soldered breadboard and enclose that in heatshink or a very small enclosure to keep it safe from the elements.  That could be mounted just outside the switch pod under the handlebar or even at the other end of the cable under the seat - out of sight - near the connector that interfaces to the Cruise control computer.  That way it would be just direct wiring (soldering) within the switch pod which is otherwise quite cramped for room.

Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers

P.S. the resistors chosen were for a LED with a nominal forward voltage of 2V to give approx 20mA current draw.

i.e. I can see the LED in the sunlight.

565099003_FINALWIRING.thumb.JPG.f4ab28229f3b3949f06692a492084712.JPG

What do you mean by the insulated brown wire back light not being used?  What LED did you use again specifically?

Thanks again!

• Premium Member

Final mount .125" thick black ABS adapter plate with .045 thick DS tape temporarily attached to my spare OEM switch pods.  Debating between the clear .040" thick 3M 4910 VHB (like Daz initially used) at 15 #/" (26 N/cm) 90 degree peel adhesion versus the absofriggenlutely never coming off black .045" thick 3M 4949 at 25 #/" (44 N/cm).  Thoughts on which tape?  Especially considering I may go with Daz's latest above OEM switch pod splice-in route.

Oh, and their are plenty of holes still exposed in the bottom of the switch for drainage and ventilation.

20200218_170448.jpg

20200218_170744.jpg

20200218_170837.jpg

20200218_170907.jpg

• Supporting Member
22 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

So you can splice in the resistors into the McCruise cable at the Brain end under the seat?  Definitely the way to go!  No? 

Great work!

@2and3cylinders - Yes, you could, however....there's always a however.... the SET and RES buttons use a common wire (the yellow one) to sense which button is pressed so when the resistors are remote from the switch pod you would need another wire to get back to the switch from one of the resistors.  Have a look at the circuit I provided and you will see what I mean.

However (again!),  we are 'fortunate' in that because no back light is needed we can simply cut the brown wire away from the computer end (make sure it's removed completely from the MOLEX connector or insulated as it carries voltage) and utilise that for the 'extra' wire required to get back to the switch!  Happy days.

What do you mean by the insulated brown wire back light not being used?

The McCruise supplied switches both had a backlight in them for night use.  The OEM gear FJR/SuperT doesn't and was never an option or considered in the Yamaha original design so the brown wire is not used - unless you go down the path as described in this reply above to use it for one of the SET/RES functions.

What LED did you use again specifically?

There are any number of LEDS that can be used that will do the job as well as different colours and in different sizes.  Sizes e.g.  3mm - 5mm - 10mm....  I found the 5mm was big enough to be visible while still being small enough to not 'impose' itself on the switch block.

If you want to keep the colours the same as the McCruise versions for diagnostic alignment then RED/GREEN (plus derived ORANGE) is what you need.

But to answer your specific question, this is what I used and purchased from a general electronics store. -

LED1.JPG.c93ec4ef5651c80a4ceef4b36b7c9a1a.JPG

If you can't get this specific one where you are in the world then I'm sure if you took this info into any electronics outlet, they would be able to help you with an equivalent.  The important bits I've highlighted in Yellow.

LED2.JPG.8553dcc85e19150664a60217538b3267.JPG

Not wishing to get too technical but for those that may be interested and/or wondered why I chose the resistance values that I did then read on.

To get a nominal 20mA through the LEDs for maximum efficiency then here are the formulas: -

Pin 1 (E) RED LED - When power button pressed then:-

14V (nominal operating voltage) minus 2V (nominal forward voltage of LED)/620ohms = ~19mA (12/620 = ~19mA)

Pin 3 (G) GREEN LED - When a CRUISE button is pressed then:-

Note that this white wire is a 5V current limited output via 120 ohms from within the cruise controller so  -

5V minus 2V (nominal forward voltage of LED)/120ohms (existing resistor) + 30ohms = ~20mA (3/150 = 20mA)

You can use these formulas to calculate what you need dependant on what LED you end up with if necessary.

EDIT: -Finally, the part number for the MOLEX connector you will require if you're making up your own harness is: -

Molex Mini Fit Junior connector (part # M5557-6R) Male end with crimp pins.

Edited by dazzler24
Added Molex part number
  • Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Today I installed the CC. Took about 6 1/2 hours. I was at a friend's place. (Real mechanic real tools) Had an issue calibrating it. My error, just misreading the very clear instructions.

A couple short runs to test it. Seems ok. Tomorrow I'll give it a longer more intensive testing.

For the record.

While trying to calibrate it I was misreading the instructions. I gave a quick email to Tony AT McCruise. Roughly 4pm EST. Within the hour I had a reply giving some things to look at. While I had figured out my error. by the time he replied. That quick customer service from halfway around the world, literally is a comforting feeling.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
45 minutes ago, fddriver2 said:

While trying to calibrate it I was misreading the instructions. I gave a quick email to Tony AT McCruise. Roughly 4pm EST. Within the hour I had a reply giving some things to look at. While I had figured out my error. by the time he replied. That quick customer service from halfway around the world, literally is a comforting feeling.

Great to hear that you're up and running.  And yes I totally agree, along with many others, that Tony & Frank provide wonderful customer service before, during and after purchase.  Five Stars!

6 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

Today I installed the CC. Took about 6 1/2 hours. I was at a friend's place. (Real mechanic real tools) Had an issue calibrating it. My error, just misreading the very clear instructions.

A couple short runs to test it. Seems ok. Tomorrow I'll give it a longer more intensive testing.

For the record.

Would you mind describing the issue you were having with the instructions? It may help someone else during a future install...

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, duhs10 said:

Would you mind describing the issue you were having with the instructions? It may help someone else during a future install...

On the step "checking throttle operation" it doesn't specifically say to continue to hold the "on - off" button while starting the bike. On the first 3 tries I held the button until the indicator light on the changed from green to red. About 2 seconds. I the released the button and tried to start the bike.

I got a no start situation and error code 059 "accelerator position sensor".

Shutting the bike off and back on removed the code and allowed the bike to run normally. 

After a beer and a cigar to calm my nerves. I tried for a 4th time. This time I continued to hold the "on - off" button while starting  the bike and all was fine. I continued with the set up of the cc. 

It seems fine after a couple runs up and down the runway. Today it will get further tested.

20200224_074106.jpg

• Thanks 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 10 months later...
  • Supporting Member

I would like to add CC to my '17 FJ-09 with the FJR/XTZ switches in the FJ housing. Only thing missing from this thread is a list of parts needed for those of us who are not so smart with electronics. That way I could get a helper over when all parts are collected. What other Yamaha's have the same switches....MT10? I wonder if this MT10 switch assembly would cover everything?

MT-10 Left Switches

Nice job on proving this is possible.

MT-10 Switches.jpg

• Supporting Member

I just ordered a used switch pod from a '17 MT-09 from Europe for $70. Fingers crossed.

The MT-10 also comes equipped with a cruise control system that can be activated in 4th, 5th and 6th gears between 50km/h and 180km/h.

A switch on the left handlebar turns the cruise control on or off, and once it is activated, the Yamaha Chip Controlled throttle (YCC-T) maintains the selected speed of the bike whether riding uphill, downhill or on a level road. Speeds can be increased in 2km/h increments with a push of the switch, and any setting is automatically cancelled by activating the brakes, clutch or throttle – while the ‘Resume’ switch restores he cruise control to its last-used speed.

Click link and scroll down...

MT-10 Cruise Review

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

I would like to add CC to my '17 FJ-09 with the FJR/XTZ switches in the FJ housing. Only thing missing from this thread is a list of parts needed for those of us who are not so smart with electronics.

You are going to need more than just the CC switch, you are going to need a CC unit with ECU integration.  Were you thinking of trying to use a FZ-10 unit (dont think thats possible) or buy one from MCCruise?

Email them about using the FJR or Super Tenere switchgear, when I bought mine from them, they made a custom wiring harness so I could use the Super Tenere switchgear, they might still be able to make one for you.

logo.png?v=966436647694102855

Fully ELECTRONIC CRUISE CONTROLS for motorcycles; precision...

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Not sure what you think is possible but I endorse the comments of betoney.  i.e. It's not just a matter of getting the handlebar switch gear.  There's a bit more to it.

Have you had a good deep read of this thread?

Sorry if I've not understood your position on this?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Thanks .. betoney / dazzler24. I do understand there is more than just the switch pod.

I plan on ordering the McCruise and want the install to look stock. I have the MT-10 switch pod on order and hope it will completely replace my FJ switch pod, just separating out the CC wires for the McC. This would seems the simplest option for me. 

Daz, one more question. I noticed you didn't backlight the on/off button. If that button is backlit can it do the job of the multicolor LED (red/yellow/orange/green) you installed?

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Thanks .. betoney / dazzler24. I do understand there is more than just the switch pod.

I plan on ordering the McCruise and want the install to look stock. I have the MT-09 switch pod on order and hope it will completely replace my FJ switch pod, just separating out the CC wires for the McC. This would seems the simplest option for me.

I hope that is a mis-print as the MT09 DOES NOT have cruise control, did you mean FZ10?  Before spending more money, please email or call the guys at MCCruise and ask them what is possible, they are very open to offering help and suggestions.  5-star customer support and after sale troubleshooting!! 👍

When I ordered my MCCruise 3-4 years ago they offered a special custom built (rather complex) patch cable for either the FJR or ST switch gear (completely different patch cable for each model) there was never mention of a patch cable for the FZ/MT10 switch gear.  They no longer offer it on their website but I wouldn't be surprised if they can still build you one on a special order basis. 

You need the wiring to be EXACT, the wiring harness integrates into the ECU, coil pack #1 as well as the brake and clutch switches.

Good Luck.  👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***