Rear Passenger Footrest M8 bolt Torque?

Clegg78

Seems the service manual doesn't address the footrest mount torque, where it connects to the chassis.  Its a long story but Yamaha phucked up on my bike and stripped out the bolts for one side  and I found out when I put weight on it...   So i have new bolts but now I need to know how much torque needs to be applied.   

Anyone know?

General torque for M8 ranges between 23 to 30 nm. I'd go with 25nm(18ft/lbs) but work my way up to it in case the internal threads were damaged when they stripped the bolt. Might also want to run a tap or thread chase in it to make sure there is no pieces of stripped thread in there.

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks guys!   I put it right around there as a guess and figure I would up it if the news came back that it needed more.  And I did have to run a tap through to clear the first couple bad threads.   Not sure if the passenger pegs are dealer installed, but it was a messed up install none the less. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

And I did have to run a tap through to clear the first couple bad threads.   Not sure if the passenger pegs are dealer installed, but it was a messed up install none the less. 

Curious why the dealer would have the foot peg mounts off to strip the bolt?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

So I talked to another dealer today and they told me on the GT the pegs come installed already.  So someone at Yamaha phucked up.     the bracket that gives extra support to the frame mounts and spans between both sides was misaligned.  So when the Yamaha guy with an impact gun ran in the bolts the bolts stripped all but a few threads against the support brace and really was only holding on the frame via friction it seems. 

I found out this issue when I put weight on the passenger peg and it let go!...   I'll post pics of the screws but they were really bad.   Just to be safe I replaced both sides and realigned that support bracket. 

A pic of the bracket as it looked when the passenger peg fell off  is here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtuhT174YsbYlcoHs6wqByu9IGiuRw?e=NSrK69  

Edited by Clegg78