Mods for tall people?

I’m 6’2 and use the Puig Touring screen, with a spoiler attached to the upper edge, The spoiler can be adjusted for angle until it gives the best result for your posture and helmet aerodynamics. This setup is the  best I’ve tried of the five screens I own. 🤪 Whilst not perfect it is relatively quiet at motorway speeds.  

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I'm 6'2" 32" inseam and I use the amazon copy of the puig short screen in the low position. I also removed the handguards and put on fz09 bar ends and that has cleared up a lot of the buffeting issues I was having. I also put a deposit down to have Terry Adcox make me a seat, should be at the front of the line around May.

• Thumbsup 1

I’m 6’7 280lbs, I’ve just accepted that a tall windscreen will never be tall enough for me, and so I ordered a sport screen, I figure if I can aim the wind at my chest/neckline it’s going to be better then straight at the helmet. Currently the bike is naked (bought it like that) but uneven wind is unpredictable and my drive home is quite windy. Once I get the screens I’ll report back with my findings,  

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/8/2020 at 7:50 PM, Husqy said:

I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam. I have the sw-motech crash bars and they serve as perfect leg-resters on those highway trips. I also have cruise control through my ECU... using that in combination with a pillion bag means I can set the CC, put my legs up and actually lean back a bit onto my bag. Very comfy.

The one issue is I have not found a windshield that gives me clean air; it all ends in buffeting. I got fed up, made my own little fly shield and pretty much ride the bike naked. Its a bit tiring, but I came from a naked bike so I'm kind of used to it. I can do 2-3 hours on the bike pretty easily without needing to stop.

I'm 6'4" as well.  I've come from exclusively naked and standard bikes, typically just with small decorative screens, and wind pressure has no effect on me at all - I've never found wind on a motorcycle to be even remotely tiring, I just lean on it and relax.  

But the buffetting is kind of annoying, and I've been contemplating doing something similar, and pulling my windscreen in favour of a small fly screen.  Got pics of what you did with yours?

30 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I'm 6'4" as well.  I've come from exclusively naked and standard bikes, typically just with small decorative screens, and wind pressure has no effect on me at all - I've never found wind on a motorcycle to be even remotely tiring, I just lean on it and relax.  

But the buffetting is kind of annoying, and I've been contemplating doing something similar, and pulling my windscreen in favour of a small fly screen.  Got pics of what you did with yours?

Hey yeah definitely, this is what it looks like in touring mode. Since that picture I wrapped the screen in black vinyl instead (it used to be frosted black).

tkn551121vkxajspz3u.jpg

Just took the stock screen, which was garbage, and used a string + grease pencil to mark the height in a constant radius. I then taped it up, used a jig to cut away most of it, then a rotary grinder to bring it down to final size and smooth it out!

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, betoney said:

@Husqy - Your bike is super clean, looks good.

Thanks @betoney. I waited patiently for a Candy Red FJ to become available in my area in the used market in 2017. Love the red with the gold forks. It was especially clean as I gave her a good scrub right before that road trip ;) 

I've added a beak and a full delkevic system since... over the moon with her now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 6-5. The Terry Adcox seat was a big help. Adds about an inch more. 

On screens, I have the tallest Puig - can't remember what size that is. I think it's excellent. Yes, my head is in the air stream, but it's pretty clean air. No buffeting that I have experienced. I toy with the idea of the adjustable Puig wing on top, but really, it's pretty good as is.

IMG_5391.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

FWIW, I did 3 things.  Difference was absolutely huge:

1.  Risers .... have short arms and long legs.

2.  Had seat redone by Terry Adcox Seats.  Looks and feels just like the Russel Day Long that was on my FJR and raised my ass up about an 1 inch or so.  
3.  Bought off Ebay a set of Pivoting Pegs.   Not the brand name Pivot Pegs but some other manufacturer.  

Between those 3 items I've gone from in agony after 150 miles to several 500 miles days in absolute comfort.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I'm 6.4. In the winter I use the Parabellum 26 with the puig spoiler and it blocks ~90% of the air on head but the puig is right in the line of sight with is annoying. The 26 is great including at speeds, but gets interesting in cross winds. Summer I switch to the Parabellum fly screen

• Supporting Member
22 hours ago, vijay said:

3.  Bought off Ebay a set of Pivoting Pegs.   Not the brand name Pivot Pegs but some other manufacturer.

I understand pivot pegs on dirtbikes, as you stand your ankles stay stationary as the bike pivots up and down underneath you over whoops or tree roots.  What could they offer riding on a flat road in a seated position?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Betoney

Three things really. 

1.  I have a 34 inch inseam (86.3cm).  With the pivoting pegs I added just under 3/4 of an inch (almost 2cm) to my legroom.  Comfort improvement was dramatic. 

2.  It allows me to reposition pegs slightly forward or back.  Again HUGE plus for comfort.   Allows me (with the revised seat) to do Saddlesore 1000's again.  Which I love. 

3.  The pegs have a nice thick and flat rubber pad (front to back) which allows me to stand for as long as I want (when I need to move around a bit) without my feet slipping no matter how wet or cold it is.   Which is much safer and more comfortable when I simply feel like standing for awhile. 

Those are the 3 primary reasons. 

Plus,  there is one unintentional plus as well.   Since the peg feelers are a bit shorter than on the stock pegs, I find if I do scrape pegs it is at about the same lean angle as before.   I don't really scrape pegs all that much ... but not having to modify my riding style since the lean angles are about the same is quite nice from a rythem, pace and speed standpoint. 

Mr Betoney, I honestly do recognize that for many people those differences are minor and therefore pretty meaningless.   But for my (aging) body with artificial hips and a right leg that has had 14 operations on it, the comfort improvements by the little things I did to my FJ have been truly remarkable.   And since I absolutely love long cross country rides or just countryside rides they were necessary as well.   Being able to ride straight through to e.g Rapid City or a Colorado Springs from my home in one go,  and do so Very Comfortably, is truly a pleasure .... at least to me. 

I apologize for the "wordyness" of my reply.   I hope it hasn't offended or bothered anyone. 🤔😊

Edited by vijay
  • Thanks 2

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, vijay said:

It allows me to reposition pegs slightly forward or back.  Again HUGE plus for comfort.   Allows me (with the revised seat) to do Saddlesore 1000's again.  Which I love.

That makes sense, I never knew that their position was adjustable.  Anything that allows you to ride in comfort for longer periods is worth it. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***