• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Mods for tall people?

I'm 6.0 feet and 214 lbs., have a Terry Adcox Seat, front frame sliders are nicer stretch of the legs on a long ride, I also use the rear pegs for a different position also.  I'm 64 years old, good for a 300- 350 mile day ride

DSC03315e.jpg

DSC03316e.jpg

DSC03317e.jpg

Edited by foxtrot722
  • Thanks 1

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

• Supporting Member

@foxtrot722 - I use the exact same method as the first 2 photos.  I have ridden many 500+ mile days while on road trips and being able to have foot placement options is a life saver for my old, damaged knees.

About a year ago I found a guy on eBay who makes standard and wide sliders, (contact him and ask for the wide) the wide version is almost an inch wider.

s-l400.jpg

This set of sliders will fit on a 2014, 2015 or 2016 Yamaha FZ-09. Will also...

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2020 at 2:50 AM, Husqy said:

I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam. I have the sw-motech crash bars and they serve as perfect leg-resters on those highway trips. I also have cruise control through my ECU... using that in combination with a pillion bag means I can set the CC, put my legs up and actually lean back a bit onto my bag. Very comfy.

The one issue is I have not found a windshield that gives me clean air; it all ends in buffeting. I got fed up, made my own little fly shield and pretty much ride the bike naked. Its a bit tiring, but I came from a naked bike so I'm kind of used to it. I can do 2-3 hours on the bike pretty easily without needing to stop.

Get a madstad !

On 3/30/2020 at 4:53 PM, betoney said:

@foxtrot722 - I use the exact same method as the first 2 photos.  I have ridden many 500+ mile days while on road trips and being able to have foot placement options is a life saver for my old, damaged knees.

About a year ago I found a guy on eBay who makes standard and wide sliders, (contact him and ask for the wide) the wide version is almost an inch wider.

s-l400.jpg

I just ordered the extended version. Thanks for the heads up!

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
Just now, nevada72 said:

I just ordered the extended version. Thanks for the heads up!

I hope you find them as useful as I do.  I truly use them at least once every time I ride.

• Thumbsup 1

27 minutes ago, betoney said:

I hope you find them as useful as I do.  I truly use them at least once every time I ride.

Thanks, I'm sure I will.

Now I'm on the hunt for some lowered foot pegs. The choices seem to range between cheap Chinese junk and expensive CNC machined Knight foot pegs, which may be the way to go. I can't seem to find the stock Buell XB9r version anywhere.

Edited by nevada72
  • Thumbsup 1

For the first time since I have my Tracer it is quiet.

I used to ride with the saddle up because I am 6'3 and although I have the Yamahas touring screen and a small wind deflector I got a lot of noise on top of the helmet. No vibration but wind noise. 

Now I tryed with the saddle down and the wind deflector up like 1-2 cm and with the screen in the highest position it is much, much better! Now, the wind deflector is just below my eyes lever when the screen is all the way up. 

• Thumbsup 2

I'm 6'7", 290lbs, 36" inseam. I've been hunting various options to improve comfort. 

Stock screen is garbage. Buffeting at highway speeds is shocking. I installed the givi short screen. Buffeting is gone. Clean air right into my helmet. They make a taller version, but I prefer the short one.

Bar risers required. Also put a set of mirror extenders; need to see more then my shoulders.

Seat is torture. I put a sheep skin from Alaska leather on it, which helps, but it's still super uncomfortable after an hour. That slope into the tank is unfortunate. I have a Corbin coming.

Pegs. Torn between a set of Knight design pegs, or some generic mfw vario knockoffs from eBay. Leaving towards the Knight design ones. They make a 1.5" drop set for the MT10, that should fit.

In the meantime pick up a pair of bicycle shorts with padding throughout the crotch.  Makes a huge difference in butt comfort on my FJ "comfort" seat..

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
On 3/30/2020 at 3:53 PM, betoney said:

s-l400.jpg

Excellent; thanks for this.  Been looking for ...this kind of relief, lol.  ...was wondering how sliders might feel as opposed to crash guards & highway pegs.  Not to crazy about adding crash bars to this bike.  Sliders seem like a decent alternative.

I found some adjustable rearsets too, in hopes of lowering the footpegs, but could never confirm if they will actually adjust to lower the pegs.  They seem more track-oriented, which usually = a bit higher so as not to drag in the corners.

Being able to change position, even just for a few moments - can help heaps.

EDIT:  found a link to the extended sliders:

s-l400.jpg

This set of sliders will fit on a 2014, 2015 or 2016...

Edited by knyte
correct typos & grammer / added link
  • Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

So my sliders arrived today; itching to install and try them out.

They're different lengths!  I could have sworn somewhere on here there was mention of which should be installed on which side, but I can't seem to find it now...

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, knyte said:

So my sliders arrived today; itching to install and try them out.

They're different lengths!  I could have sworn somewhere on here there was mention of which should be installed on which side, but I can't seem to find it now...

The Right side is the slightly longer slider.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Threads sure seem soft there.  Felt like something was about to shred, but otherwise...great idea, and sure comfy for the legs.