Advice on rack and topcases

Hey all - 

I want to get setup with a rack and topcase but I find the amount of choices pretty intimidating.

From what I can tell there are 3 components - a) rack, b) plate c) topcase

I am looking for recommendations on a, b and c.  Probably looking for 40 liter or approximate on the case.

Thanks

FB

• Thumbsup 1

Hi FB4004

I have the Givi Rack, mount plate and 42ltr Outback top box, the top box may act like an airbrake and drag the back end down a little but its more secure than the plastic types. Hope this helps somewhat as Yamaha don't really recommend fitting a top box

• Thumbsup 1

I thought i would chime in here on the Givi V47 top case that i have.  they say you can fit 2 full face helmets in there....but i am not sure which ones.  I can't get my wife's and mine in there.  We have a med and a small bell full face and they don't fit.  It is a nice case though for just one helmet, coat and pants. 

I like the style of it and Givi makes a nice complimentary side case to match too.

20190716_201923.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

Like my Givi monokey case and rack. Found a Givi case and racks used ~15 years ago on fleabay. The case has been on five different bikes now, has seen hard core usage, and is still going strong. As I've sold/bought other bikes have either fabbed a mount (rear seat mount), used a Givi universal plate when the bike already had a rack, or bought a bike-specific mount from Givi.  

Some items you might want to consider while shopping:

- Are you running or planning to run side luggage that might conflict with the hardware from the case? This might not even be an issue for the FJ-09 but has been for some others. Since I only ever run a top case these days not a concern for me. 

- Is look of the rack when there's no luggage mounted a concern? EG my case never leaves the bike so don't really care. There are some slick-looking options for racks that will often work with various brands of luggage.  

- Will you ride with a passenger? Some rack and case combinations are fixed at one spot while others may allow some adjustment. Some offer nice back pads as options. 

• Thumbsup 2

I just bought the Givi trekker outback 42 liter and the panniers and love how well built everything is.  I can fit my helmet and a jacket in the 42 liter outback. With Givi topcases your gonna want to get the Monokey type as they are built much stronger for motorcycles, they Monolock is for scooters. 

Edited by whitecrow
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I had the Shad top case and side cases with my FJ 09, and currently have the Yamaha top and side cases with my new Tracer 900 gt.

The Shad's were larger (both top and side cases) and you can fit a full face helmet in either side case with the Shad. The Yamaha will fit the full face helmet in the top case, but not the side cases.  From a fit function perspective, the Shad's seemed a bit more sturdy to me, but the Yamaha cases work fine.

Both required a rack to mount the top case to, and mounting brackets for the side cases. The Tracer 900 gt comes with the side cases and mounting brackets, but the top case requires you to purchase the Yamaha rear rack.

I commute daily with my bike, so they get a lot of use. I actually prefer the Yamaha bags, but would have loved to be able to fit the helmet in the side cases. Not sure what they were thinking, it just needs to be a bit wider and it would have fit fine.

The benefit of the yamaha cases are they can be set up to use the same key as your ignition. I had to have a separate key when I had the Shad bags.

Both bags are good quality and perform well, but the Shad's provide more room for travelling, something I'm worried about missing when I take off this summer.

• Thumbsup 2

I have a Givi Monokey plate on my Tracer and my Fazer, and two boxes, an E52 Maxia and a B33.

Unfortunately I discovered while miles from home that the E52 doesn't accommodate 2 AGV Corsa helmets, before I bought my Corsa R I had an X-Lite 802 and it fitted in easily with my wife's Corsa. Must be the aero fin on the back of the helmets.

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

13 hours ago, stumpy said:

I thought i would chime in here on the Givi V47 top case that i have.  they say you can fit 2 full face helmets in there....but i am not sure which ones.  I can't get my wife's and mine in there.  We have a med and a small bell full face and they don't fit. 

I have a Givi accessory catalog and it shows that the V47 can take 2 x flip up type helmets. There are 2 different helmet icons in the catalog and the V47 icon is not a full face.

Compare the helmet icons on the 2 different box specs below. Although, the dimensions suggest that the V47 is a bigger case, it must be a shape issue.

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

Edited by andz
  • Thumbsup 1

I have that very same Givi 47 ltr box on my Tracer GT, and I get both of my / my wifes Nolan N87 full face helmets in there at once.

Closes no problem without having to force it shut. Mines a medium, hers is a small

Nolan N87 Rapid N-Com - Flat Lava Grey / Red Motorcycle Helmet M : 57 - 58

• Thumbsup 2

31 minutes ago, andz said:

I have a Givi accessory catalog and it shows that the V47 can take 2 x flip up type helmets. There are 2 different helmet icons in the catalog and the V47 icon is not a full face.

Compare the helmet icons on the 2 different box specs below. Although, the dimensions suggest that the V47 is a bigger case, it must be a shape issue.

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

i guess i still need to see pictures than read.  never even saw those when i bought mine.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
54 minutes ago, johnakay said:

this what I have on my bike .its a Chinese copy of motec rack at half the price.

DSC04376.JPG

I'm still loving that unique olive green, very nice looking bike. 👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

11 hours ago, johnakay said:

this what I have on my bike .its a Chinese copy of motec rack at half the price.

DSC04376.JPG

I bought that same rack, was great and very stout. I never mounted a top case to it, I used as an extension of my pillion seat to hold my dry bag and sleeping pad. 

• Thumbsup 1