Advice on rack and topcases

On 2/3/2020 at 4:20 PM, stumpy said:

I thought i would chime in here on the Givi V47 top case that i have.  they say you can fit 2 full face helmets in there....but i am not sure which ones.  I can't get my wife's and mine in there.  We have a med and a small bell full face and they don't fit.  It is a nice case though for just one helmet, coat and pants. 

I like the style of it and Givi makes a nice complimentary side case to match too.

20190716_201923.jpg

If you go to Schuberth helmets, they will fit.  They are smaller in diameter.

• Thumbsup 2

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

On 2/3/2020 at 6:26 PM, DavidS said:

I had the Shad top case and side cases with my FJ 09, and currently have the Yamaha top and side cases with my new Tracer 900 gt.

The Shad's were larger (both top and side cases) and you can fit a full face helmet in either side case with the Shad. The Yamaha will fit the full face helmet in the top case, but not the side cases.  From a fit function perspective, the Shad's seemed a bit more sturdy to me, but the Yamaha cases work fine.

Both required a rack to mount the top case to, and mounting brackets for the side cases. The Tracer 900 gt comes with the side cases and mounting brackets, but the top case requires you to purchase the Yamaha rear rack.

I commute daily with my bike, so they get a lot of use. I actually prefer the Yamaha bags, but would have loved to be able to fit the helmet in the side cases. Not sure what they were thinking, it just needs to be a bit wider and it would have fit fine.

The benefit of the yamaha cases are they can be set up to use the same key as your ignition. I had to have a separate key when I had the Shad bags.

Both bags are good quality and perform well, but the Shad's provide more room for travelling, something I'm worried about missing when I take off this summer.

Yamaha has side bags that fit a helmet.  They have been making them since 2002, and haven't changed them at all.  They are often referred to as FJR bags, but have been fitted to many different bikes, like the TDM and FZ-1, which aren't sold in the US.  Same mounting system as the City Bags, which is what the FJ bags used to be referred to as.  Many here have fit the FJR bags to their FJ's in the past.  You could have or tried to negotiate with the dealer on this at time of purchase???

• Thumbsup 2

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member

Does anyone know if the Yamaha FJR cases will fit on the mount that comes with the 2020 Tracer? I might be willing to pay for the side bags if my existing mounts will still work.

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, DavidS said:

Does anyone know if the Yamaha FJR cases will fit on the mount that comes with the 2020 Tracer? I might be willing to pay for the side bags if my existing mounts will still work.

If I'm not mistaken, the bags and mounts fit '15 to present, meaning FJR bags will fit all models as well.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...

I have been looking at racks but not for box, just for strapping options. Today I got my 80L bag on pillion seat and managed to fix to grab rails with rok straps with ease. Very happy and no need for rack. 

20200406_113217.thumb.jpg.386ed498013f6077916a3d3f73a17d75.jpg20200406_114253.thumb.jpg.fd00da363ed6b5f0fdbf9a33f2256c23.jpg

20200406_113244.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
50 minutes ago, Dodgy Knees said:

I have been looking at racks but not for box, just for strapping options. Today I got my 80L bag on pillion seat and managed to fix to grab rails with rok straps with ease. Very happy and no need for rack. 

20200406_114253.thumb.jpg.fd00da363ed6b5f0fdbf9a33f2256c23.jpg

Wow, that thing is H U G E.   😲

• Thumbsup 1

I have the OEM Yamaha Cases. I found all 3 keyed with one key online for $450. I did have to purchase the mounting brackets that attach to the passenger foot pegs and under the sub frame. 

The top case is large enough to hold my Large Shoei RF-1200 and my Girlfriend's Med Shoei Quest. The side cases are a bit weird in shape but I've managed to fit 2 six packs of soda in one, and a 8 pack of Gatorade in the other. The top case is also deep enough to fit a gallon of milk standing up. Grocery's is a bit of a Tetris game sometimes but having packs is a life savor.

CBC07752-1A8B-4FEC-BA08-1E54F2773C61.jpeg

C19B3E3E-6101-4A8E-8DBB-05E3ECA2FDB9.jpeg

Edited by ChadTheFoxFox
  • Thumbsup 2

8 hours ago, betoney said:

Wow, that thing is H U G E.   😲

That's what she said.....😱😱😱

I got the rear rack from Aliexpress.com. It's a knock off of Twisted throttles rack here;

it was less than a hundred to my door. And that's a SHAD 40 liter case with the top rack to strap stuff to if needed. Oh yeah, the shad comes with the plate to mount the top case too!

IMG_6014.JPG

IMG_6054.JPG

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

@tktplz -  That's a nice setup you have there, neat and compact.  That should be more than enough storage capacity.

I travel very light, I would have no need for a topbox.  Even on my 10-day trip to Utah and Colorado last Summer I was able to fit everything I needed in my Shad side bags.

image.thumb.png.dcf1a2d02caba1b41b4133fb2ed7a528.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

when I bought the bike used it had the soft bags from Hebco-becker. I bought the hard bag 22 liter cases because they use the same mounts I already had. That and 40 liters plus a 15 liter tank bag plus a 50 liter dry bag if I need it, LOL!  2 hard bags would be plenty but being older I like some of the extra comforts ya know......

IMG_6559.JPG

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6564.JPG

IMG_6566.JPG

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 2 months later...

I went with the Yamaha Tracer 900 Rear Rack/Top Case Mount (Item #B1J-F48D0-V0-00) and added a Kappa Top Box K47nn Manta Monolock System (Plate and universal l kit included).  Install took about 35 minutes. 

Yamaha Rear Rack Top Case Mount.jpg

Kappa Top Box K47nn Manta.jpg

• Thanks 1