Advice on rack and topcases

On 4/6/2020 at 7:56 PM, ChadTheFoxFox said:

I have the OEM Yamaha Cases. I found all 3 keyed with one key online for $450. I did have to purchase the mounting brackets that attach to the passenger foot pegs and under the sub frame. 

The top case is large enough to hold my Large Shoei RF-1200 and my Girlfriend's Med Shoei Quest. The side cases are a bit weird in shape but I've managed to fit 2 six packs of soda in one, and a 8 pack of Gatorade in the other. The top case is also deep enough to fit a gallon of milk standing up. Grocery's is a bit of a Tetris game sometimes but having packs is a life savor.

CBC07752-1A8B-4FEC-BA08-1E54F2773C61.jpeg

C19B3E3E-6101-4A8E-8DBB-05E3ECA2FDB9.jpeg

Where's your screen?

How is it to ride like that?

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/27/2020 at 8:14 PM, Samaha said:

I went with the Yamaha Tracer 900 Rear Rack/Top Case Mount (Item #B1J-F48D0-V0-00) and added a Kappa Top Box K47nn Manta Monolock System (Plate and universal l kit included).  Install took about 35 minutes. 

Kappa Top Box K47nn Manta.jpg

Thanks for sharing the details of your install.  Very helpful and looks great!   I assume that you built that bracket on the bottom to make it work with the yamaha rack?   I contacted Motorstorm to confirm if a mounting plate is included but I received a response from them that references different model # adapters and plates that leads me to believe that no hardware is included with their Kappa Monokey top cases.   Did the universal mounting plate that you used come with the Kappa top case or did you have to purchase it separately?  Thanks again!

• Supporting Member
On 4/6/2020 at 7:38 AM, Dodgy Knees said:

I have been looking at racks but not for box, just for strapping options. Today I got my 80L bag on pillion seat and managed to fix to grab rails with rok straps with ease. Very happy and no need for rack. 

20200406_113217.thumb.jpg.386ed498013f6077916a3d3f73a17d75.jpg

I have the exact same rollie - fits perfectly with the FJR bags mounted.  Very sturdy, and I can carry pretty much anything I want.

Only problem being - I tend to keep rain gear in the side bags.  With the rollie slung across the seat and over the bags, it's not easy to access said gear if oh, say, all of a sudden the weather changes and I have to gear up STAT.  Speaking from experience here.

P5310640.JPG

P7030682.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

24 minutes ago, Yamagun said:

Thanks for sharing the details of your install.  Very helpful and looks great!   I assume that you built that bracket on the bottom to make it work with the yamaha rack?   I contacted Motorstorm to confirm if a mounting plate is included but I received a response from them that references different model # adapters and plates that leads me to believe that no hardware is included with their Kappa Monokey top cases.   Did the universal mounting plate that you used come with the Kappa top case or did you have to purchase it separately?  Thanks again!

Thanks, yes, the mounting plate and hardware (brackets) came with the top case.  the only thing i added was a 4 inch mending plate for security

mounting.jpg

3.JPEG

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, knyte said:

I have the exact same rollie - fits perfectly with the FJR bags mounted.  Very sturdy, and I can carry pretty much anything I want.

Only problem being - I tend to keep rain gear in the side bags.  With the rollie slung across the seat and over the bags, it's not easy to access said gear if oh, say, all of a sudden the weather changes and I have to gear up STAT.  Speaking from experience here.

P5310640.JPG

P7030682.JPG

On trips I use a tankbag aswel for quick access stuff. 

• Thumbsup 2

5 hours ago, Samaha said:

Thanks, yes, the mounting plate and hardware (brackets) came with the top case.  the only thing i added was a 4 inch mending plate for security

mounting.jpg

Awesome, thanks again for sharing?  I think I will do the same exact thing.  I can believe how inexpensive these Kappa boxes are compared to some of the others.

I think the Kappa boxes are "cheap" Givis  I also strap a duffle on top instead of a top case.  Duffle goes on the passenger seat and keeps weight more forward.  Have thought about a small top case for helmet and wet weather gear.  Would still put a duffle on the rear seat.  My duffle clears the sidecars so not too difficult to get into them for gear.  The small tool bag in the photo was a substitute tank bag as I had just traded bikes in the middle of a long trip.  Wound up strapping it on top of the duffle bag for the 1,400 mile trip home.  In the pic the bike is new, have only done a 2 mile test ride before setting out for 110 miles!  Everything was totally stock, all settings tire pressures etc.  Wonderful bike and Im in love with it.

IMG_1846.jpg

10 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I think the Kappa boxes are "cheap" Givis  I also strap a duffle on top instead of a top case.  Duffle goes on the passenger seat and keeps weight more forward.  Have thought about a small top case for helmet and wet weather gear.  Would still put a duffle on the rear seat.  My duffle clears the sidecars so not too difficult to get into them for gear.  The small tool bag in the photo was a substitute tank bag as I had just traded bikes in the middle of a long trip.  Wound up strapping it on top of the duffle bag for the 1,400 mile trip home.  In the pic the bike is new, have only done a 2 mile test ride before setting out for 110 miles!  Everything was totally stock, all settings tire pressures etc.  Wonderful bike and Im in love with it.

IMG_1846.jpg

Hey PhotoAl,. Thanks for sharing.  I really like the duffle bag idea.  It's certainly the most flexible of all the options and it's easier to pack soft bags.  Even if I get a small top case,  I can still strap a duffle bag over the side cases like you did.  I only plan on traveling 1-up so I have lots of room to work with.  I plan on doing some camping in the spring.  Thanks again!

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So around the first of the year got a 39L Yamaha top case and the Yamaha rack.  My intention was a case for my helmet when stopping and for rain gear.  Took a 1,800 mile 5 day trip.  Used the side cases and a duffle on the rear seat.  Trip was to go pick up a Bagster seat and case liners I bought from a fella.  My plan worked well on the way there but found myself tossing an occasional bottled coke in the top case.   On the way back I was pretty loaded with the extra front and rear seats.  Top case had a little more stuff in it but tried to keep it light.  Bike would pull the front wheel somewhat easier in 1st but not dramatically so.  I ran in A mode which seems to work OK as long as fitness is not required.  If too much throttle is quickly applied in 1st it tends to pick up the front wheel chop the throttle set it down then repeat.  Usually got a couple of hops then it would do settle down somewhat.  Tried to put the heaviest stuff in the bottoms of the side cases.

Stability was good with no wandering or extra push from the wind.  I rode thru a fair amount of head and cross wind on the way out and cross wind and tail winds on the way back.  I may have dialed a bit too much front preload as it was a little more difficult to get it to take a set in some corners.  LOL it did perfectly well in a tight interstate off ramp leaned over pretty well.  It was one of those exit ramps when the entrance comes on at the start of a bridge and the exit is at the end of the bridge with merging in between!  A SUV came barring up behind me so I exited faster than I intended and kept the speed.  They dropped way back and can't help but wonder if it wasn't a pulse quickening moment.  Exit was marked 20mph.  On another ramp near home which I'm familiar with it seemed like the front was on the verge of pushing but it is a tricky ramp which is a little off camber and downhill.  Frequent wrecks on that turn.

On the way back I had the extra seats in the duffle bag which made it pretty big.  With the top case and my duffle in place, the duffle was a little closer to me than I would have liked and the side cases were inaccessible with the duffle in place.

I'm still somewhat undecided for a long trip as to leave the top case of not.  It is supper convent to have the side cases and top case when doing a short day trip from base camp as can put my jacket pants and helmet in the cases.  Top case if empty does not hinder the performance of the bike and makes for easy helmet storage when making quick stops.  I take the tank bag, GoPro, Garmin off and take them with me or stow in the top case.

• 4 months later...

Just installed the Chinese rear rack and then drilled some custom holes for my Monolock plate (why did they name the 2 different models so closely that as an owner I don't even know what I have without looking it up...) and my Big 52 lt trekker on the bike now. I also took off the side bags and frame and put them aside till I need them for a bigger road trip or something. 90% of the time the tail bag is more than sufficient for me.

IMG_7689 (Large).jpg

IMG_7690 (Large).jpg

IMG_7701 (Large).jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 52 Lt trekker on my 2022 KLR650 that is up for sale. My 2015 FJ 09 should be in my possession next week. I would love to keep my  lt trekker for my Tracer. Does anyone know where I can get all the necessary mounting hardware for it? I have looked online but have been unable to find what I need and I really like my Trekker.

Thank you,

-Gus

Trekker case is from GIVI, so you need the Givi rack and monokey adapter plate to fit your case.

Don’t know where to buy them, as I am in Europe.

But a simple google search should suffice.