Looking for Tire shop in New Orleans, La.

Fabrice

Hi Everyone,

First post here on the forum. I'm an expat from Paris, France and I now live in New Orleans, Louisiana. I have been riding my beautiful FJ-09 since Dec.6, 2019. It's a 2015 model that I went and picked up in San Antonio, Tx. The bike is flawless and rides like a dream. I'm used to riding in Paris where the riding is much more aggressive than it is here. So, I have to watch my speedometer and my ego constantly not to blow my M endorsement!

All that said, I have found that motocycle dealerships here are like dentists, they always want to make the most money out of your visit. Not sure if it's a good analogy but anyway! I am looking for a shop in New Orleans or around to simply unmount and mount my new rear wheel tire. I have bought the tire and I will take the wheel off myself. Does anyone know a place and if it is affordable? I appreciate all your help and suggestions.

Regards,

Fabrice

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, Fabrice said:

Hi Everyone,

First post here on the forum. I'm an expat from Paris, France and I now live in New Orleans, Louisiana. I have been riding my beautiful FJ-09 since Dec.6, 2019. It's a 2015 model that I went and picked up in San Antonio, Tx. The bike is flawless and rides like a dream. I'm used to riding in Paris where the riding is much more aggressive than it is here. So, I have to watch my speedometer and my ego constantly not to blow my M endorsement!

All that said, I have found that motocycle dealerships here are like dentists, they always want to make the most money out of your visit. Not sure if it's a good analogy but anyway! I am looking for a shop in New Orleans or around to simply unmount and mount my new rear wheel tire. I have bought the tire and I will take the wheel off myself. Does anyone know a place and if it is affordable? I appreciate all your help and suggestions.

Regards,

Fabrice

If you call the shop and talk to the service department, they will tell you how much they charge for any service.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Good Luck! I'm here in NW Louisiana and have an old Big Dog motorcycle shop that does Harleys now to change mine. 5 years ago he was 40 bucks a tire, mount and balance. Last year it  was 50 buck and he explained to me that the cost was for a 1/2 hour of shop time, hence 50 bucks. This spring it is now 55 or 110 bucks for a front and rear mount and balance. I use him because the dealers here say you have to buy the tire from them and if you bring the tire/rim in off the bike it's 40 bucks.....but again you have to pay their price for the tire. So the ole biker dude I feel just broke the camels back! Went looking at a decent tire change machine and something that an old weak dude in his 60s can use to mount and balance without hurting myself.  Seems it comes in under the tax return amount this year and should take 4 years to pay off in my current 7-9 thousand miles a year. That's 2 sets of tires at 220 bucks a year.  Isn't she a beaut?

If someone else has ideas I'm open but need something I can attach to my concrete floor  and will be stable. This 1 also has an option for a 2" receiver hitch mount. 

Back to getting a tire changed in New Orleans, call around. My dealer says he can't trust where I get my tires from for liability reasons.  Buying his means 287.00 for a Roadsmart III plus mounting and balance of 40 bucks plus our 10 % sales tax in Louisiana means approx 359.70 for a rear tire and mount. My price now is 96 bucks for a roadsmart II and 55 busks cash for the mount and balance w/tax. That's 151.00 w/tax which is better.  Good luck in your search!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Hey TKTPLZ,

Love your post! I guess I should be heading up your way once you get your setup all in!!! It'd be a nice ride up. I did what you suggested about calling around and so far, I got Cycle Gear at 50 bucks with tax if I bring the rim and tire in. They might be my best bet. I saved quite a bit on the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II at $87.66 and free shipping. Can't beat that!

Best Regards,

Fabrice

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fabrice said:

Love your post! I guess I should be heading up your way once you get your setup all in!!!

My brother lives down there in Mid-City. Haven't made it down there in a few years. Used to go down there for French Quarter Fest but I've been using all my time off for motorcycle trips. Dead and Company are there the 2nd weekend of Jazz Fest this year......I can hear Bob Weir calling.....🔊

Yep, I know'em. They're actually very close by and I do business with them. Very friendly crew and helpful. It's a nice sunny day today so I might do that this morning. I watched TwoWheelObsession  on youtube last night. He was changing the tires on his FZ-09 and then concluded that it was just not worthy! 

Regards,

Fabrice

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, Fabrice said:

Well. it's done! Ended up costing $76.87 with tax but I had the shop put in brand new right angle pressure valves as well.

It was worth it just for that alone! 👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Well there ya go! I'm putting my tires and rims back on the bike this morning. Since the 1st of the year I've had both flu's. The stomach virus  version one 1st and the sore throat version  2nd. The last 2 years I've used 1 of my 6 days each year. This year I've used 3 days by the 1st few days of February. Oh well get it over with! Supposed to be sunny and 61 today, 1 degree over my age so I can ride, yeet!  Should be a nice weekend in New Orleans too. Nothing like the ride of a bike with new tennies!

Just looked at the weather map and it seems the tail of the last front is still around you in New Orleans. Riding may be hit and miss.....😕

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 2

50 minutes ago, tktplz said:

Well there ya go! I'm putting my tires and rims back on the bike this morning. Since the 1st of the year I've had both flu's. The stomach virus  version one 1st and the sore throat version  2nd. The last 2 years I've used 1 of my 6 days each year. This year I've used 3 days by the 1st few days of February. Oh well get it over with! Supposed to be sunny and 61 today, 1 degree over my age so I can ride, yeet!  Should be a nice weekend in New Orleans too. Nothing like the ride of a bike with new tennies!

Just looked at the weather map and it seems the tail of the last front is still around you in New Orleans. Riding may be hit and miss.....😕

Good Morning tktplz,

Well, one saying comes to mind; what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! I guess you got all these out of the way now ready for riding season. I'm a few years younger than you are, but I tell you, when I get on my bike, I'm like a kid again! When it comes to weather, what stops me is heavy rain. Other than that, I ride all the time as it is my sole means of transportation. Lately, I was a bit of a loner on the road with not many bikers around. Yesterday, while at CycleGear, people were showing up and buying stuff and all... Then, as I got back to my place, I could hear monstrous motorcycle exhaust screams going up and down Carrollton Ave! As I didn't want to be left out, I put my wheel back on and went out to test that new shoe. It felt just right.

Have a great week-end,

Fabrice

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2