New Bozeman Montana member

Greetings all, I am an avid long distance touring rider (IBA member)  who has been on a 2009 FJR1300a for the past 11 years. I've rewarded myself for my birthday by buying a 2019 Tracer GT.  Not selling the FJR yet, but I should. Looking forward to getting to know the farkles needed for this FANTASTIC machine. I tend to be a lurker, and only speak when I have something meaningful to offer. (FJRForum has soured me on public debate....)  Thanks in advance for any advice and tips I glean from this membership.

Edited by Bytor the Snowdog
grammar
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, Bytor the Snowdog said:

Greetings all, I am an avid long distance touring rider (IBA member)  who has been on a 2009 FJR1300a for the past 11 years. I've rewarded myself for my birthday by buying a 2019 Tracer GT.  Not selling the FJR yet, but I should. Looking forward to getting to know the farkles needed for this FANTASTIC machine. I tend to be a lurker, and only speak when I have something meaningful to offer. (FJRForum has soured me on public debate....)  Thanks in advance for any advice and tips I glean from this membership.

Welcome, like your forum user name, any reference to RUSH is cool with me! 😎👍 

I too had a bad experience with one of the FJR forums a few years back, (seemed like a bunch of condescending, grumpy, old know-it-all's) the members here are much friendlier and try to help each other out.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

14 hours ago, Bytor the Snowdog said:

...... and only speak when I have something meaningful to offer. 

Good way to be ....

I too came from a larger bike to the Tracer and it has me excited about riding on the road again.

• Thumbsup 1

Welcome to the forum.  Lots of good information to be had here as well as a great group of people willing to help.  

Beautiful country where you live.  👍

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Snowdog,

I too, and many others, have moved from the FJR to the FJ/MT900GT.  Although I'm not a IBA member, but think I'm a CALDR (Candy Ass Long Distance Rider) sleeps 8 hours.  I have two 05 FJR's in the garage, one a parts bike with 143, 331 miles on it and a rider with 80-90K that I still  ride.  Hard to not like that inline 4 spinning up to 10 grand from a stop.  The FJ will pretty much match the FJR in acceleration, unless you weight over 230# or two up, then the extra torque makes a difference.  At the end of the day, you will feel less tired on the FJ.  I have got 90+K on my FJ-09, installed electronic cruise control, shocks front and back, Russell seat, heated grips, VStream, usually run Michelins, change oil at 5K, easy to remember, use FJR saddle bags.  I live in Vancouver WA and my first major ride, 5,400 miles, usually starts with a ride to Austin TX for the Moto GP.  The first year I had the FJ, I put 26,600 miles on it and only 2,000 on the FJR.  Each years since has been similar.  Welcome.

• Thumbsup 3

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)