Upgrade the front fork spring

dmanteigas

Hi All,

I have a 2018 Tracer 900 GT and recently installed an ohlins rear shock. So far so good, however now it looks like I need stiffer springs on the front suspension because I have preload at maximum, rebound and compression almost fully closed, and I can still feel the front too soft. I have never felt this before installing ohlins, which has a spring rate of 11.5 as compared to the previous rear suspension which I think was around 9.5. The front has a progressive spring 7.5-10. I was thinking of going with 10 linear spring. Do you have any recomendations on good cheapest alternatives to ohlins regarding springs? And also some online stores in europe I can check?

Thanks,

David

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, dmanteigas said:

Hi All,

I have a 2018 Tracer 900 GT and recently installed an ohlins rear shock. So far so good, however now it looks like I need stiffer springs on the front suspension because I have preload at maximum, rebound and compression almost fully closed, and I can still feel the front too soft. I have never felt this before installing ohlins, which has a spring rate of 11.5 as compared to the previous rear suspension which I think was around 9.5. The front has a progressive spring 7.5-10. I was thinking of going with 10 linear spring. Do you have any recomendations on good cheapest alternatives to ohlins regarding springs? And also some online stores in europe I can check?

Thanks,

David

Lets try one end at a time to ease confusion.  For the forks, yes, get the correct spring rate-straight rate springs.  If you have your reb/comp clickers almost completely closed then it might be time for a revalve to suit your needs or you could try higher viscosity oil which might net you a little more adjustment range.  The higher viscosity oil flows slower and you can lighten up your damping setting.

When you got the new Ohlins shock, did it not come with the correct spring?  Did you buy it mail order or from a local suspension shop?  Usually when you order suspension, one of the first factors is determining the correct spring rate, even if you order it mail order they ship it with the correct spring.  If the current spring is wrong then you could get the next one up or down to suit your needs.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***