Electrical power: how much is available?

DGuy

Opening a charged coil in close proximity to two other coils can do bad things to those other coils, as well as to other components connected to them. cf 'ignition coil'

TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

It's more efficient to use series R/R. However it's much easier and cheaper to design shunt R/R than series R/R.

Also, shunt R/R has better high frequency response which works well with high RPM engines.

To my knowledge, harley v-twins and Suzuki V-strom 1000 (2014+) come with series R/R in stock.

Shunt R/R has been on motorcycles for >30 years and it works because the stator coil is oil cooled.

My unscientific tests showed ~20 deg reduction of stator temps (170 vs 190F) when using series R/R.

Don't laugh. This is my FJ09 fitted with a series R/R. Form follows function, LOL.

IMG_6612.jpeg

Edited by ruenjou

21 minutes ago, TTR Ignition said:

Opening a charged coil in close proximity to two other coils can do bad things to those other coils, as well as to other components connected to them. cf 'ignition coil'

Correct. However this can be mitigated with transient suppression diodes in series R/R. We called this inductive kick in the industry.

Edited by ruenjou

3 minutes ago, ruenjou said:

Shunt R/R has been on motorcycles for >30 years and it works because the stator coil is oil cooled.

Unless it's not. Yamaha used dry stators for the longest time (FZRs and YZFs at the very least). The early VRRs were weak by design (ground through the casing, no ground wire), but a failed stator was far more uncommon.

TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

3 minutes ago, TTR Ignition said:

Unless it's not. Yamaha used dry stators for the longest time (FZRs and YZFs at the very least). The early VRRs were weak by design (ground through the casing, no ground wire), but a failed stator was far more uncommon.

Even with oil cooling, Triumph street triple, some Suzuki GSXers are known to fry their stator coils...

• 1 month later...

hey, my first post...

I contacted yamaha dealer here in Norway. A service technician answered my email. He writes that: 

Tracer 900GT 2019 should charge at 29.6A at 5000 r/min. He told me to measure how many amps lights, ignition etc draws with an amp meter, to check how much left there are to use on other stuff. 

He also reminds that this is only at 5000 r/min. He thinks (doesn't know exactly) that its about 20 amps at 3000 rpm. 

I am wondering if I should make/mod some china lamp to take XHP 70.2 at 4A each. Thats gonna be around 8000 lumens 8A setup. 

Existing led lights are each 18w I think, thats what the sticker under the lights says. That's not much really, not for me anyway (41 years of age).

Edited by Gavekort

• Premium Member
On 2/12/2020 at 3:46 PM, ruenjou said:

Correct. However this can be mitigated with transient suppression diodes in series R/R. We called this inductive kick in the industry.

So is the OEM FJ09 VRR mosfet and if so, which, shunt or series?   What exactly did you retrofit?  I've done several mosfet swaps on other bikes.

good reads below

I feel that in all the debate over burnt stators, etc..., that a lot of...

Mosfet Regulator - How does a MOSFET regulator work?

5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

So is the OEM FJ09 VRR mosfet and if so, which, shunt or series?   What exactly did you retrofit?  I've done several mosfet swaps on other bikes.

good reads below

I feel that in all the debate over burnt stators, etc..., that a lot of...

Mosfet Regulator - How does a MOSFET regulator work?

Stock FJ09 R/R is MOSFET shunt style, Shindengen FH020AA which is also used in FJR1300, Super Tenere and many other bikes.

Shindengen SH775 is a SCR series style and a drop-in replacement of FH020AA. However FH020AA is rated for 50A while SH775 is at 35A. In addition, FJ09 puts R/R in an undesirable location where there is very little air flow.

I retrofit a Shindengen SH847 (SCR series 50A) into my FJ09 with some mechanical efforts. Electrically it's straightforward since  SH847 has identical connector pinout as FH020/SH775.

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, ruenjou said:

Stock FJ09 R/R is MOSFET shunt style, Shindengen FH020AA which is also used in FJR1300, Super Tenere and many other bikes.

Shindengen SH775 is a SCR series style and a drop-in replacement of FH020AA. However FH020AA is rated for 50A while SH775 is at 35A. In addition, FJ09 puts R/R in an undesirable location where there is very little air flow.

I retrofit a Shindengen SH847 (SCR series 50A) into my FJ09 with some mechanical efforts. Electrically it's straightforward since  SH847 has identical connector pinout as FH020/SH775.

Thanks.

Please clarify / define "mechanical efforts". Do the OEM plugs fit the replacement unit?

Does your photo show the permanent location of your unit?

38 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Thanks.

Please clarify / define "mechanical efforts". Do the OEM plugs fit the replacement unit?

Does your photo show the permanent location of your unit?

Mechanical efforts:

1. Pulled up cables of the R/R from their stock locations and re-route them to exit to the left side of vehicle. They were tucked under several other cables in the battery tray.

2. Fabricated a simple mount for SH847 using 1/2"x1/8" aluminum bar stock from homedepot.

3. R/R is finally mounted using some nuts/bolts/standoffs.

OEM plugs are plug-n-play and the photo shows how it's mounted permanently. The above mods can be fully restored to stock.

• Premium Member

Thanks, good to know!  But that location IMO is too subject to damage, looks incongruous and just plain ugly, would seem to interfere with one's left calf and maybe my K-Tech Razor R shock remote reservoir mounting bracket.  Hmmmm

• Thumbsup 1

10 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Thanks, good to know!  But that location IMO is too subject to damage, looks incongruous and just plain ugly, would seem to interfere with one's left calf and maybe my K-Tech Razor R shock remote reservoir mounting bracket.  Hmmmm

Did F900XR copy my idea? LOL

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 8.59.28 AM.png